Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We’re happy to have found you all. We have standard puppy arriving in our home in two weeks. She’ll be 11 weeks old. When we begin to socialize her, we are wondering what might be the best way to do that during these crazy days. Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and advice.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
It is importatnt to let her see things along with meet and greet. I think if I had a puppy right now I would be sitting on my front lawn with him and letting him see kids on bikes, cars, dogs on leashes passing by and such. If you have neighbors who you know are okay and have been well isolated invite them to sit on the lawn and have a beverage with you.

Reactions: Zuzu and Dianaleez

·
Super Moderator
2,035 Posts
It is importatnt to let her see things along with meet and greet. I think if I had a puppy right now I would be sitting on my front lawn with him and letting him see kids on bikes, cars, dogs on leashes passing by and such. If you have neighbors who you know are okay and have been well isolated invite them to sit on the lawn and have a beverage with you.
I've been doing something similar with Galen this week. He seems to be in the thick of a fear stage: my previously bold little fellow is getting nervous about vehicle noises. On a nice warm day I grabbed a pocketful of treats and took him up to the busy state road near me. We plopped down on the sidewalk and just watched traffic go by. We saw joggers, bicycles, other dogs, motorcycles, lots of cars, and plenty of other traffic.
The big trucks were especially scary when they were jake braking. At first Galen was nervous and crawled onto my lap. I cuddled him and fed him treats until he relaxed. Then I started watching for trucks in the distance. As soon as I spotted one I started handing Galen treats and kept the treats coming until after the truck had roared past.

Today we went back to the same spot for more traffic watching. I was very pleased to notice Galen was much less concerned about vehicles. Instead he wanted those treats. We practiced an exercise you recommended, lily cd re. I held the treat in my fist until he stopped gnawing at me. Then, like magic, the treat appeared.

The magic continued. Whenever he flopped down in utter boredom a treat would mysteriously appear between his front paws.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. Great idea!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been doing something similar with Galen this week. He seems to be in the thick of a fear stage: my previously bold little fellow is getting nervous about vehicle noises. On a nice warm day I grabbed a pocketful of treats and took him up to the busy state road near me. We plopped down on the sidewalk and just watched traffic go by. We saw joggers, bicycles, other dogs, motorcycles, lots of cars, and plenty of other traffic.
The big trucks were especially scary when they were jake braking. At first Galen was nervous and crawled onto my lap. I cuddled him and fed him treats until he relaxed. Then I started watching for trucks in the distance. As soon as I spotted one I started handing Galen treats and kept the treats coming until after the truck had roared past.

Today we went back to the same spot for more traffic watching. I was very pleased to notice Galen was much less concerned about vehicles. Instead he wanted those treats. We practiced an exercise you recommended, lily cd re. I held the treat in my fist until he stopped gnawing at me. Then, like magic, the treat appeared.

The magic continued. Whenever he flopped down in utter boredom a treat would mysteriously appear between his front paws.
This is super helpful. Well give it a whirl and report back! Stay safe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You've received great advice here. I just wanted to comment on your user name. My standard girl is named Zuzu after the It's a Wonderful Life movie. This is a picture of her from last spring. She's lighter silver now but I don't have a newer pic saved to my laptop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've received great advice here. I just wanted to comment on your user name. My standard girl is named Zuzu after the It's a Wonderful Life movie. This is a picture of her from last spring. She's lighter silver now but I don't have a newer pic saved to my laptop. View attachment 466006
She’s so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. Here’s a picture of our Zuzu. She arrives next week. Wish us luck!!

·
Premium Member
12,867 Posts
What a darling! Do post more photos when you get her home - puppy pictures make everything better!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a darling! Do post more photos when you get her home - puppy pictures make everything better!
Aw, you’re sweet. We certainly will. And they certainly do!! Stay safe. Puppies forever!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts