Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jamie went into labor yesterday, and in the evening when I checked it, her temprature had dropped. At 5 am the first two were born, by noon all 12 were here...thats right 12!!!
The little guys are big, fat and healthy. they are eating well, and Jamie is doing a great job.
I am impressed with her. She ate the sac off of the first pup, but did not cut the cord. Other than that, she did it all.

we have 7 blacks (2 males, 5 females) and 5 white/cream(2 males, 3 females) a couple of the blacks have white patches on chins, and one has a stripe on its chest.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
AWWW how sweet and gross all at the same time! 12, wow! I cannot wait to see them pretty babes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh my goodness. CONGRADULATIONS....Did you say 12...that's a dozen.:) I am thrilled to hear everything is ok... You are going to have alot of fun in the weeks to come. WOW

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
congratulations!!! I am happy for you that this part is over. Now you can breathe for a few weeks while Mommy does everything, then just enjoy those wee munchkins while they develop personalities and become a ton of fun.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Congrats! Wow, 12 pups, I can't even imagine. We had 3 in our first PWD litter and 4 in the second, I can't even imagine 12!

Haha, in those pics, did you line them up by colour or did they just put themselves like that? It's like they went into gangs!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AWWW how sweet and gross all at the same time! 12, wow! I cannot wait to see them pretty babes.
yeah- those people that say that breeding is not for the faint hearted? they are SOOO right!

its disgusting, and smells... im never having kids!!!:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Jamie went into labor yesterday, and in the evening when I checked it, her temprature had dropped. At 5 am the first two were born, by noon all 12 were here...thats right 12!!!
The little guys are big, fat and healthy. they are eating well, and Jamie is doing a great job.
I am impressed with her. She ate the sac off of the first pup, but did not cut the cord. Other than that, she did it all.

we have 7 blacks (2 males, 5 females) and 5 white/cream(2 males, 3 females) a couple of the blacks have white patches on chins, and one has a stripe on its chest.
Congratulations on the litter.

I can't remember. Have you whelped litters before? If you already know this, sorry, but it bares repeating.....

12 is a lot of puppies and you will need to keep close tabs on the weight each puppy is gaining. Do you have an accurate, digital scale? If not get one. I bought mine from American Scale.

You should weigh each puppy in the morning and keep a log. Any puppy not gaining weight each day should be manually put on a high value tit or it should be bottle supplemented. The Leerburg site has a recipe for puppy formula that people rave about.

Good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! Wow, 12 pups, I can't even imagine. We had 3 in our first PWD litter and 4 in the second, I can't even imagine 12!

Haha, in those pics, did you line them up by colour or did they just put themselves like that? It's like they went into gangs!

they arranged themselves LOL ! they are kind of funny.. wait til you see how "deflated" Jamie is its amazing! :scared:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations on the litter.

I can't remember. Have you whelped litters before? If you already know this, sorry, but it bares repeating.....

12 is a lot of puppies and you will need to keep close tabs on the weight each puppy is gaining. Do you have an accurate, digital scale? If not get one. I bought mine from American Scale.

You should weigh each puppy in the morning and keep a log. Any puppy not gaining weight each day should be manually put on a high value tit or it should be bottle supplemented. The Leerburg site has a recipe for puppy formula that people rave about.

Good luck.
Thanks Cbrand- I have a scale, and am going to weigh 2X daily (because im like that)

I thankfully, have thought the worst about this litter, so am prepared(pretty sure anyway)

I have whelped one other litter, but the bitch was old and should not have been bred, she was a walking uterus :( (foster boston) and the puppies died within a couple days despite the boston being a wonderful mommy.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congratulations on your dozen! Wow. Know Momma is tired and you are, too. Keep us posted on how they are doing and pics as they grow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
the weighing is especailly critical at day 3. the moms milk isn't really regulated yet and she might not produce enough. any weight loss or no gain is reason to give suppliments.
The first time I had a girl that whelped 12, I was so excited!! the next time i sat and cried...
we did break into 2 groups and alternate them with the mom.

train them to litter box at 3-4 weeks then train to doggie door by 5-6. It will make's life MUCH easier...LOL

Gloria

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
WOW!! A whole dozen!! Congratulations, I think...LOL I hope all goes well for them and for mom. You sure are going to be one busy grandma.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts