Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my pupsie is currently 8 1/2 human years old but his licking have gotten excessive and constant how to get him to stop he literally always licking people or trying to eat things off the ground even if he was just fed he will still do this help!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be anxious licking. Has anything changed in his life ?
Yeah he was stolen the people who found him believe he was gonna be used as a bait dog but they dumped him in the middle of the street

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Was he yours before he was stolen, or was he rehomed to you after recovery? Mostly, help him have a steady, reliable, secure environment, one where he knows what will happen when.

Sometimes Rescue Remedy (they make a no-alcohol version for children and pets) can be very helpful when life has brought shocking events.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
If the licking is really frenzied, and you think it might be linked to a recent traumatic event, I think I would ask your vet about short term anti-anxiety medication. Combined with a steady, calm routine as Streetcar describes that may help him get over his fears.

Reactions: Dechi and Streetcar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Didn’t occur to me it could be anxiety because once I got him back home he went right back to being hyper, playful and loving as if nothing ever happened

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
Poor baby! No wonder he's anxious :(

But licking can also have medical explanations, including nausea. Have there been any other symptoms such as gas, vomiting, or diarrhea? If so, I'd consult with your vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor baby! No wonder he's anxious :(

But licking can also have medical explanations, including nausea. Have there been any other symptoms such as gas, vomiting, or diarrhea? If so, I'd consult with your vet.
Nope just the excessive licking anything that moves he wants to lick it anytime I talk to him he runs to lick me but I tell him stop and then he acts sad and he’ll just start licking the air instead

·
Registered
51 Posts
The air licking could indicate stomach upset or reflux,.especially if he does more air licking after a meal. Otherwise, licking is often a calming activity for dogs.

Consider getting your dog a LickiMat. It's a small rubber mat that has texture designed for licking. You fill the mat with some kind of soft food and the dog licks it off. The licking is calming for the dog, and the texture of the mat provides additional stimulation.

These mats are available through the Clean Run website (probably other places as well) and cost about $6 each for the 8x8 size for small dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts