Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent response to a thread typing a colon : gave me a grinning emoji. This is partly a test to see if it happens consistently - the colon shows correctly in preview.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And testing in reply :

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious - this the thread where it came out oddly:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
A colon followed by a capital P turns into a grinning face

:p

A colon then an end parentheses turns into a smile

:)

A colon then a D turns into a big grin

:D

Oh that's annoying! Just tried adding a space between the colon and the P and it still did it. Also tried no spaces between m and : and P and still did. THAT looks like a bug to me.(most software will allow you to use spaces to fix it so that people can ,you know, use colons as they were intended). And adding a ' before it doesn't work either. Grr...

I also can't find a way to turn off emojis like some forums have.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah - someone else who has been involved in software testing! I missed the clue of the missing P. Rather a dodgy bit of "functionality", given how often the colon is used to imply a ratio between two things - I think we definitely need the option to turn them off.

Especially as now that I look more closely the face is not grinning but sticking its tongue out, thus adding insult to injury!

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hmm let me see :p :D :)

And then the same with spaces : P : D : )

Looks like so long as you put a space, it works fine for me... Weird

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just shows how behind the times I am - I never use emojis and really hate overly helpful software. Anyone else remember that &*@£$ Microsoft paperclip that would leap out to interrupt your flow of thought to suggest perhaps you were writing a letter and would you like it auto-formatted?!

Please someone, just tell me where to turn off "helpful" shortcuts so I can get back to what I post looking the same as what I type...!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
And again on my phone .... :) Vs : )

Weird! Maybe I was asleep when I tried this morning....

Calcium:phosphorous (no spaces around colon, in front of or before)

Ca : P ( with spaces)

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Looks like you just missed the space between the colon and p, @fjm. A rather adorable typo, actually. :p

P.S. For testing purposes, you can always hit the button next to "Post Reply" that looks like an eye. That will show you a preview of your post, including all auto formatting/emojis.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But when written as a ratio there are no spaces! Colons were punctuation marks for centuries before people started playing with them to make them into faces - I think punctuation should still take priority!

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I am guilty of adding a smile :), colon, paragraph to the end of sentences instead of a period. I don’t over cute with emoji’s in texts, but I love them. Celebrated a redhead emoji and the poodle, although I wish we could customize the poodle color, the way we can with skin tones. Modern hieroglyphics:)

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No guilt about it, Mfmst - they can be a fun addition to communication, but there should be a way of using punctuation as punctuation too. Bit like predictive text, which I also had to turn off because what it predicted rarely bore any resemblance to what I was trying to write! Or autocorrect, which can get one into all sorts of trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts