Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 5:00 AM, little Zulee threw up. All clear. I supplement her Evo with chicken bones and other raw goodies, so I really wasn't concerned. She is not in any distress.

at 7:30 AM, she awakes to needing to throw up again. This time, there's more, it's thicker, brown, and clearly has blood in it. I checked her throat, no obstruction. Even her last fang tooth is still hanging on. I did a doggy himlich in case something was lodged further down. Nothing...no coughing or distress. I felt her tummy to see if it hurt or if I could feel anything....nothing...no distress.

She loves to chew on rocks, so that was my first thought. Thinking through the day yesterday, we were gone together most of the day. She did have a chicken neck for breakfast and banana added for dinner.

She is in heat. No apparent distress right now. She isn't favoring anything and is jumping around, laying down as usual.

When the vet opens, I will definitely call. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. I want to be able to ask all the questions I can.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Awww, poor Zulee,

I am not sure why she threw up, but my dogs will often throw up when they eat too many recreational bones. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Is she passing stool alright?
Is she hungry this morning?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is passing stool good yesterday. I haven't wanted to feed her this morning until I had a chance to call the vet. They aren't open yet.

She is playing and chasing her favorite toys. However, she just threw up again. A little bloody, not as bad as last time. We have mistletoe, so I'm wondering if she got to some without me knowing about it.

No signs of distress though.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sounds like symptoms of an irritation in her stomach, like an ulcer. I don't know if it would be mistletoe, because I would think with any type of poisoning, she would probably be lethargic, or just not herself, as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Maybe one of the bones bothered her stomach lining...I don't know :(

I thought it was a 'no no' to feed raw bones and kibble together, but I could be wrong, just learning the raw thing. :)

I am sure the vet will figure it out, keep us posted...I hope it isn't the mistletoe.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She has a vet appt at 10:30. A scrape sounds most likely. She only had a chicken neck yesterday which is cartilage. Still most likely cause. It's ok to supplement kibble. Certainly not a full raw feeding regimen.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hope Zulee is okay..One of my cavs has had 2 pancreatitis attacks where he throws up blood..however he usually throws up every few minutes when he has had an attack

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Far as I know everything is fine. The vet checked her out. Everything is normal and Zulee was in high spirits.....until the vet tech picked her up to hold her while the vet checked her teeth.

Zulee is quite the wiggle worm and didn't like being taken away from me. She was snippy (not biting, but still snippy) when the vet was trying to check her teeth. I think she would have been fine had they kept her on the table. To make matters worse, she heard another dog cry bloody murder right outside our door and Zulee is in heat. All of which the vet and tech knew before they looked at her teeth.

As a result, I got the lecture that I need to manipulate her ears, mouth, paws daily. I let her know that I do those things daily because I groom her, but she wouldn't hear it.

I know Zulee has separation issues because I work at home and she is with me all the time. I've been working on it leaving the house more often without her.

After all the exams and poking and prodding, the vet decided to give her a shot for nausea. She offered to do x-rays, but I didn't feel it was necessary. I'll keep an eye on her today. However, right now, she is totally passed out from the shot. I am irritated. Not exactly sure why. I know part of it is from the vet tech even though I understand her concern. I don't know why, but I didn't expect the shot to put her to sleep.

To top it all off, the vet gave me a can of Science Diet to give her a bland diet for the next day or two....or in my opinion...a can of crap. I know it's all they have and it was good for her to offer something. It just seems to me that changing the diet would cause nausea, not fix it.

By the way, this is not my regualar vet. They have several there, and this is one that happened to be available. She did a good job. Maybe part of my irritation is that I feel like Zulee would have been better off if she hadn't gone at all. I am glad she had a couple pair of expert eyes looking her over.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My first thought was pancreatitis, or some similar gastrointestinal irritation. Zachary has had 2 big episodes where we almost lost him due to pancreatitis (or what is believed to be pancreatitis, they never really did any real test just went on symptoms). He lost a lot of weight, didn't want to eat so we had been having to force feed him. One morning he woke me up coughing and he just coughed up clear stuff so we went back to bed but I left him out with me. 2 hours later he was coughing up blood. Rushed him to the vet, they gave him fluids for dehydration, medication, and a can of hills I/D (Hills I/D didn't help because he is allergic to some of the ingredients)

6 months later, I came home from work to find Zachary laying in a pool of his own vomit and blood, barely conscious and very week. He had another episode.

After getting him on the right diet and all, he hasn't had a problem in over a year, thank goodness. (All this happened before he was a year old, second attack he had just been a year old for a few months)

Anyways I wouldn't worry about it being pancreatitis though if the dog is still eating well (but not ravenously eating, that is an indication of the most severe form, eating but not getting full), still drinking plenty, and not losing weight.

It does sound like she had a bit of a gastrointestinal upset.

Also my Zachary has severe separation anxiety and our current vet is working to help us get that under control and Zachary is doing wonderful now, he still gets nervous but not like before.

Our vet feels if we can keep his anxiety under control, we can keep his gastro issues in check.

Just a thought, I know you said your dog had separation anxiety and if its bad, it can cause gastro upset.

Our current vet isn't so sure Zachary ever had pancreatitis, especially so young and never having table scraps. He feels his anxiety is what led to the gastro problems that almost killed him.

Just something to look into

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thanks for letting me know. It's things like you mentioned that made me post in the beginning. It's always good to keep everything in consideration. The vet dismissed viral infection because Zulee has never had worms and takes Sentinal along with Advantix every month.

She said Zulee was well hydrated and her weight is the same as the last time I brought her in. I had to bring her in to get weighed for her Sentinal and Advantix because she is right at the 10lb mark. We wanted to make sure she got the right dosage.

She has been eating normally and poops have been on time and firm. Course, today it is raining and she is drugged. I'll keep an eye on her to see if she is straining or anything looks unusual. The vet did take a stool sample....went waaaayyyyy up in there twice. Zulee didn't mind a bit...good girl! This of course was before they inspected her teeth.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and concern. It's really nice having a family I can ask and get extra support from when it's needed.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poor little Zachery. I just can't imagine coming home to see him like that. I know it's all good now, but give him an extra hug for me! ((Hugs))

·
Registered
109 Posts
Poor little Zachery. I just can't imagine coming home to see him like that. I know it's all good now, but give him an extra hug for me! ((Hugs))
Will do. Now his anxiety isn't 100 percent under control yet, but since we've been able to keep it mostly under control we haven't had any issues. Again I wouldn't rule out the anxiety causing a flair up. And ofcourse if she keeps having trouble, there is never any harm in getting a second or ever third opinion. (I went through 4 vets before he finally was able to get well). He had to take a mild sedative at first for about 6 weeks but now he is completely med free!

He is 2 years old and so far in good shape.

Poor Zulee though, give her a big hug from Zachary and I. And please keep us updated on how she is doing.

When I read this is just reminded me of Zachary. Hopefully though its something much more simple than what he went through, hopefully its nothing. I'm no vet and I know nothing about animal health but I know how scary it can be when your pet coughs up blood and isn't feeling well. And I just thought I'd share being there were many paralells but mostly because I wish someone could have shared a positive recovery story with me when Zachary was ill. I didn't have a great support site like this when he was ill. And combined there is so much knowledge on here

Good luck and we are thinking about you all

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Her tummy is gurgling. I pressed on it to see if there might have been anything that could have shifted or if there are any sensitive areas. So far, she is just fine. I'm thinking she either got part of the chicken neck that scraped her or part of a stick scraped her.

She's sleeping, but she is not super groggy like she was earlier.

Thank you for checking in on her.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Poor girl! I hope she is feeling better soon!

Do you know what shot they gave her? Most of them do Not have a sedation side effect. She was probably just worn out from teh excitement of the visit. I personally dont think the vet or tech did anything wrong. If i had a dog that was nippy to check a mouth on then i would hold it for the vet to see (well, id restrain it on the table). You would not believe how many snappy (not saying that she is) dogs we see on a daily basis! Most of them the owners tell us they wouldnt bite. So you can see their concern, and it safety first!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do understand that she needs to allow the vet and tech to look at her without feeling threatened. This is part of why both my husband and I look at her teeth, brush her teeth, take things out of her mouth, hold her paws, and play with her ears whenever we choose.

I was surprised she acted that way, and it really didn't dawn on me that it could be separation anxiety until after the appointment. I guess part of me felt like I was being lectured to and after letting her know that I do those things on a daily basis, she wasn't willing to offer another solution....it was just assumed that I don't really do it on a daily basis. I can understand why she wouldn't believe me, but it was very irritating and unprofessional.

I'm home with her all day long and spend a lot of time making sure she is tolerant, especially when it comes to food and taking things out of her mouth. She is a good girl for me and the hubby. I'm not about to ask anyone else to take things from her as they are not her pack leaders.

I do need to figure out a way to have the vet team help her without her reacting in a negative way. Next time, I will ask that they keep her on the table. She's not used to being held up in the air by a stranger and feels better on her own feet.

They gave her 10 mg of Cerenia. I'm sure the stress from the visit played a part, but she was totally limp. I had to check her heart a few times on the way home just to make sure she was ok. She has slept ever since we got home. She is not as limp as this morning, but she is worn slick. I feel like I may not notice other symptoms because of her reaction to this medication.

I do think they did a thorough exam and the vet is a good vet, just not my preferred vet. During an emergency visit, I understand that it will be luck of the draw. I think it was the tech that annoyed me most. We'll just try to be better prepared for next time.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I do understand that she needs to allow the vet and tech to look at her without feeling threatened. This is part of why both my husband and I look at her teeth, brush her teeth, take things out of her mouth, hold her paws, and play with her ears whenever we choose.

I was surprised she acted that way, and it really didn't dawn on me that it could be separation anxiety until after the appointment. I guess part of me felt like I was being lectured to and after letting her know that I do those things on a daily basis, she wasn't willing to offer another solution....it was just assumed that I don't really do it on a daily basis. I can understand why she wouldn't believe me, but it was very irritating and unprofessional.

I'm home with her all day long and spend a lot of time making sure she is tolerant, especially when it comes to food and taking things out of her mouth. She is a good girl for me and the hubby. I'm not about to ask anyone else to take things from her as they are not her pack leaders.

I do need to figure out a way to have the vet team help her without her reacting in a negative way. Next time, I will ask that they keep her on the table. She's not used to being held up in the air by a stranger and feels better on her own feet.

They gave her 10 mg of Cerenia. I'm sure the stress from the visit played a part, but she was totally limp. I had to check her heart a few times on the way home just to make sure she was ok. She has slept ever since we got home. She is not as limp as this morning, but she is worn slick. I feel like I may not notice other symptoms because of her reaction to this medication.

I do think they did a thorough exam and the vet is a good vet, just not my preferred vet. During an emergency visit, I understand that it will be luck of the draw. I think it was the tech that annoyed me most. We'll just try to be better prepared for next time.
I can relate to you though - sounds like we go to the same place. I sware the techs where I go act the same way - they don't hear you when you try to explain, the only thing thats important is what they need to say to you:doh: It really annoys me when I then see the Vet afterwards and reiterate what the tech says and he rolls his eyes.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts