Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my puppy, almost 4 weeks ago, and he has been eating Science Diet ( I know a lot of people don't like it, but thats what the breeders were feeding), since. I took him to get his second set of vaccines on the 20th, so like a week ago.

Now, ever since we've had him, he hasn't eaten a lot. The vet wasn't really worried about it.

So, anyways, he gets fed 3 times a day. And normally he takes a couple bites, then runs off, and isn't interested anymore.

But yesterday, he ate less. I think he ate a little at lunch, and thats it. So, this morning, I was expecting him to be super hungry, but he wasn't. He did eat about 1/8 cup of food, but then, turned around and puked.
And apparently he puked 2 days ago, when I wasn't home.

So, I am wondering is this something I should be taking him to the vet for, or trying to swtich foods for or something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ETA he is a miniature, if it matters.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So, I got my puppy, almost 4 weeks ago, and he has been eating Science Diet ( I know a lot of people don't like it, but thats what the breeders were feeding), since. I took him to get his second set of vaccines on the 20th, so like a week ago.

Now, ever since we've had him, he hasn't eaten a lot. The vet wasn't really worried about it.

So, anyways, he gets fed 3 times a day. And normally he takes a couple bites, then runs off, and isn't interested anymore.

But yesterday, he ate less. I think he ate a little at lunch, and thats it. So, this morning, I was expecting him to be super hungry, but he wasn't. He did eat about 1/8 cup of food, but then, turned around and puked.
And apparently he puked 2 days ago, when I wasn't home.

So, I am wondering is this something I should be taking him to the vet for, or trying to swtich foods for or something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ETA he is a miniature, if it matters.

Does he behave normal other then the throwing up and loss of appetite? Is he drinking? My first thought was the begining of parvo but thats worse case.

Is this food he's been rejecting a new bag? Maybe there is something up with the food. Oh and yes science diet is a poor quality food and I would recommend you switching foods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The food was the same bag, he is drinking and acting normal. And he just ate about 1/8 cup of food, for lunch, so I think he is ok, I was just freaking out a little bit!

About the food, my vet reccomended Medi-cal which is Royal Canin i believe, but her clinic carries that type of food, and I hadn't heard of it before, so I don't really know what kind of food is good quality that would be good to switch too..

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just started using Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and they are all doing good on it - 2 standards and 2 minis.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dogs seem to have a very good puke mechanism so if he is behaving as normal I wouldn't worry too much about him. As to eating, when I got Inca, the breeder said she was on Pedigree pouches and even gave me 12 to get me started. From that day to this, Inca has never looked at a Pedigree pouch, never mind eat any. I was told that there are no fussy dogs, only fussy owners and that a dog will eat when hungry. Five days later, my 12 week puppy wore me down and I now cook chicken and rice, ground beef and tripe, adding vitamins and minerals to balance the diet out and occasionally throwing in some liver. I spent so much money trying to get her to eat and I have to admit she won. It costs me less to feed her and Coco this way and they seem to thrive.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Does he behave normal other then the throwing up and My first thought was the begining of parvo but thats worse case.
Oh God, don't mention Parvo! :shot:

I can't really offer any advice, but I'd just like to say
Good luck with your pup! :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
T has Advance and some Bonnie Puppy kibble plus some bits of the BARF diet. Lots of raw meaty bones, chicken necks and carcasses, sardines etc.. and I just got a recipe for the veggie/fruit component which I am going to make up tomorrow and try him on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts