Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Apparently Microsoft is still allowing the free download to get Windows 10 on older Windows versions.

Follow the steps in the article if you haven't yet got, but want Windows 10. This is from Cnet. I'm downloading the Media creation tool now from Microsoft and will update later. I've used the Media Creation Tool several times over the years to install Windows versions. You can use it to upgrade in place or save the file to install later on the same or another device.

One caution...if you're going to upgrade a device which came with the version you want to upgrade, other than backing up your files (precautionary), it should be pretty straightforward.

If you bought a retail license for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 and installed it on your device, the prior free upgrade subsumed that license, so your license may no longer transfer to yet another device if the current one stops working. This is more of an issue if you bought a license for any version but the Home version.

Also, any programs/apps installed thru an app store, if no longer available to download again may be gone, and there's usually a driver or two that get lost. Those can be found again.
FYI, although Microsoft has put Edge out as their preferred browser, IE 11 is still supported and will be for the foreseeable future.

Hi Poodle Lovers, I'm putting this message here to make sure it's seen by all members. Microsoft is no longer providing those automatic security patches, software updates, or tech support for Windows 7 computers. You'll need to either upgrade to Windows 10, OR buy a new Windows 10 computer and transfer your photos and files to it.

Here are two links for information, google for more.

Windows 7 End of Support 1-14-2020 Info - Microsoft

Windows 7 Dies Today: Here’s What You Need to Know

FYI, although Microsoft has put Edge out as their preferred browser, IE 11 is still supported and will be for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Rose n Poos, do you wipe your drive first? I know it's a best practice and I should, plus set up a separate partition for the OS, but I think I might not and just do the upgrade.

We have an MS store here and last time I was in (a while ago) they said I could bring a fresh flash drive and they'd put 10 on there for me. Theoretically, I shouldn't download it from work, and my bytes are limited at home, so it was a nice option.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done in place upgrades as well as clean installs, and have never noticed an appreciable difference. I reviewed a few tech sites and saw comments still leaning towards the clean install BUT several IT folks pointed out that the upgrade in place process to get Windows 10 is very easy to use and works well. That's been my experience also. One commented that falling back to the clean install can be a knee jerk reaction to difficulties encountered in previous generations. If you're happy with how your device is working now, the upgrade in place should be fine.

An option I like and have also used is to upgrade in place, use the new version for a few days (you have only 10 days to rollback if needed), then, if I want, I can do a clean install later. At a minimum, back up all your files somewhere, and, better, is to use the Windows 7 System Image and create a full system backup, This is found as a left side bar option thru Control Panel> File History. or Backup and Restore (Windows 7). You also want to have your product key, jic.

To get that just type in to a cmd prompt admin:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I was looking for the Windows Upgrade Assistant program which would tell you which programs would be removed in the upgrade (if any). It seems to have been translated to Windows Update Assistant and I think that list comes after the fact. I take screenshots of my programs list too :).

One other caution...if you have and use Windows Media Center (not Media Player), it will be gone, even if you rollback. This is one reason why I've held on to 8.1 Pro on this laptop. I can transfer the license since it's a retail license, but I'll lose Media Center (and I don't really use it, just don't like giving stuff up lol).

The cnet link in the post takes you to the official Microsoft Download site but you might feel more comfortable going to the site directly from Search. I'd search "Microsoft download windows 10".

If you decide to go for it, all should be well but so long as you have the System Image to recover to, you'll only be out the time if not.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also Windows 10 setup requires adding a PIN but don't worry if you don't want it. After setup, just go to Settings and disable or remove it.

If you don't want to have a password lock at all, look for instructions online for "netplwiz" to disable that. Also, after the upgrade settles a bit, go to Settings and delay all updates for a week. Microsoft has become notorious for missing bugs. You can't choose to avoid updates altogether but they can be delayed.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Guaranteed I'll have multiple backups of my files first. Though I usually just copy files onto external drives instead of backup/restore. That's silly these days, just I'll always remember many years ago restores could be problematic.

I've read that cnet article several times since it was written and just haven't bothered taking action. For someone who used to be a hobbyist builder and did a lot of volunteer end user support, I've been way lax about updating my little laptop and yes, do know better ?. I may leave it 7, we'll see. Can't even seem to get laundry done, let alone computing stuff. But I do always have current redundant backups.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, sorry for the 101 course, given your experience! I do the same with my files but advise on the cautious side when I don't know how comfortable the other person is with playing with this stuff. Good to know you're someone who can check me if I say something crazy :).

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
LOL, sorry for the 101 course, given your experience! I do the same with my files but advise on the cautious side when I don't know how comfortable the other person is with playing with this stuff. Good to know you're someone who can check me if I say something crazy :).
Oh, I appreciate you hugely, no worries!!!

We never know where or how our shadow selves will appear when posting online, and who knows when someone out there may benefit. Beyond that, who among us has not overlooked or forgotten some important security information? Sharing what you know and have experienced is always of value, Rose n Poos. Always. Thank you ?❤.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts