Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so proud of Ruby. Last week I ended up running down the street in my short nightgown and underwear at 5:30am b/c I took her out for a pee and dropped teh leash and off she ran. Well i was embarrased, angry and humilated. So I started training her to come on command, and she has always done so in teh house, but outside is a different thing totally, once she gets intersted in something getting her attention is near impossible. So I bought me some hotdogs, sliced them up really small and started. It took her about 20 mins to "get it" I was surprised. Than today I started to allow her to get interested tonight in something than call her to come....she did, she did it even though not everytime I had a reward for her. We just spent about 40 mins playing fetch, and learning to drop whatever and come when called. All this in total took less than a hr, 2 hotdogs and a boat load of fun for all of us.

My older dog will be 5 this year and even though he has met with a trainer, has never responded to anything in terms of training, Quincy is my stubborn little man. he has never done what you wanted unless he wants it to. he also tonight out of the blue started, coming when called as well. Almost 5 years old never cared before and suddnely he wants to do it too!! :) if you don't know about chinese cresteds, they can be extremely stubborn, which he is obvioulsy. But b/c he was my only dog and very much bonded, never left my side etc etc, I never really stressed to much about him. So when he refused to learn I was ok with that.

I am so proud of both my guys right now, Quincy needed a reason to learn and Ruby is it, he is quite competive obvioously lol. Ruby has been a great teacher. Ruby fetches really well and spent 40 mins running back and forth fetching, coming, sitting etc etc. Quincy spent his 40 mins pretty much doing the same thing.

Now if someone can teach me how to teach Ruby to be gentle when taking the hotdogs, i would be thrilled. She isn't trying to be nippy, she just wants that hotdog.

She goes for her spay on thursday so will be grounded from any running and rough play for as long as she needs to be, but we can still work on the comming and sitting while she is grounded in a few days....

The only thing I regret is NOT starting training her right away, house training was my first goal and I guess I kinda forgot about the rest (I know stupid me) but since she has only been here not quite 3 months, I don't think it will take long to get her on track.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wonderful story. I need to work on 'come' and 'drop it'. I even know this method works, and use it now and again, but obviously need to focus more as you have done. Being reminded by you of how willing these dogs are to train will get me out from in front of the computer and doing it. Truly, those two commands are for Sammy's own safety.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ended up trying some vegetarian hog dog with Sammy yesterday, and he LOVED it. I thought he might be asking 'where's the beef?', but he didn't even hesitate, and it turned out to be a great training treat.

I've also found little bits of apple work for Sammy. He adores apples.

I've used bits of chicken too when there's some left-over, I try not to use cheese too much (he's a Toy and only 7 pounds).

The bits of wiener are handy though as they're always around, don't need to be cooked, and aren't icky on my hand. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts