Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been talking in another thread about the Spoo as a protector. These photos aren't great but as a trainer of dogs who protect their humans, little shifts in behavior are promising. (Please pardon our mess as the whole house is being renovated). In small puppies the behavior is displayed in tiny ways, a hard look, a puppy sized but deep growl. Folks often think it's cute but to a pup its serious. Many thinks start at 6-7 weeks of age but go unnoticed or unanswered by us.

Tonight my husband was getting ready to go to the pool hall. He went to gather eggs before he left. Mr. Layne checked to be sure it was Dad before he could come inside. This is a new development for Mr. Layne. For reasons I can't explain, he was uneasy with Dad leaving tonight. First he was watching for my husband then as he saw Dad was gone, he got serious. Camera flash distracted him but his ears are slightly backed in the next to last picture, listening & straining for the slightest sound. He's patrolling the house & very "on" tonight. Honestly, if I had a bad guy in a suit, tonight would be the night to test him on a training bad guy. Something has triggered this behavior. The last pic he's chilled out.

I always tell folks that most dogs who have a tendency toward protective behavior has within them a sleeping beast. Once awakened the beast never fully sleeps again, so have care not to awaken it if you don't want to live with it. The beast is primativate & not civilized however if you train & discipline yourself to its ways, the beast could be the difference between safety & harm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,425 Posts
Peggy sure would love your house! She had that deep growl down at 9 weeks, and would happily patrol all day if I let her. I'm at home recovering from dental work, and as soon as my husband left today, she plopped down next to me with her head on a swivel. She's part hot water bottle, part security system.

I do wish I could rein in her prey drive, though. Not even birds are safe in our yard anymore.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have noticed that Sisko goes on more patrols and will bark and growl more if he hears someone going up or down the stairs and if someone knocks on our door now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We've been talking in another thread about the Spoo as a protector. These photos aren't great but as a trainer of dogs who protect their humans, little shifts in behavior are promising. (Please pardon our mess as the whole house is being renovated). In small puppies the behavior is displayed in tiny ways, a hard look, a puppy sized but deep growl. Folks often think it's cute but to a pup its serious. Many thinks start at 6-7 weeks of age but go unnoticed or unanswered by us.

Tonight my husband was getting ready to go to the pool hall. He went to gather eggs before he left. Mr. Layne checked to be sure it was Dad before he could come inside. This is a new development for Mr. Layne. For reasons I can't explain, he was uneasy with Dad leaving tonight. First he was watching for my husband then as he saw Dad was gone, he got serious. Camera flash distracted him but his ears are slightly backed in the next to last picture, listening & straining for the slightest sound. He's patrolling the house & very "on" tonight. Honestly, if I had a bad guy in a suit, tonight would be the night to test him on a training bad guy. Something has triggered this behavior. The last pic he's chilled out.

I always tell folks that most dogs who have a tendency toward protective behavior has within them a sleeping beast. Once awakened the beast never fully sleeps again, so have care not to awaken it if you don't want to live with it. The beast is primativate & not civilized however if you train & discipline yourself to its ways, the beast could be the difference between safety & harm.

Happy to have read this. I’m interested in finding a protective poodle, if such exists, and encouraged by your story. Your dog Mr Layne looks handsome and badass.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They exist but it takes some time to locate. Finding the right level of protective instinct with a good throttle takes a little longer. It doesn't help that they look like stuffed toys. The only e is a breeder in Russia who is doing bitework with her dogs but I, of course, haven't been over there to check them out. Importing has a lot of complications

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m actually not interested in Russia, bite work, schutzhund, etc but would like any info re breeders and/or lines to seek out. In another lifetime I was an agitator for a guard dog company and a dobie/rottie person at heart. I think a dog either has it or not (albeit to differing degrees.) I’m just too allergic at this point and need a hypoallergenic breed. What line does your Mr Layne come from?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
There is another thread on here you may want to read, many of us have protective st. poodles. My guy wasn't taught to be he just is, yet away from me he is friendly, just don't walk straight up to me. I think that just happened when we took walks. We have one unsavory person in our neighborhood, well actually he is ok but he is like 6'4 or so, talks loudly at times to himself. He started to run toward me one time and I tensed, my dog barked at him and I said he is not friendly I don't think you should try to pet him. The guy backed up. So now when he sees me & the dog he says hello, if he is in a stable mode I can even chat for a few minutes but Renn will sit at my side. LOL I was also a rottie lover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is another thread on here you may want to read, many of us have protective st. poodles. My guy wasn't taught to be he just is, yet away from me he is friendly, just don't walk straight up to me. I think that just happened when we took walks. We have one unsavory person in our neighborhood, well actually he is ok but he is like 6'4 or so, talks loudly at times to himself. He started to run toward me one time and I tensed, my dog barked at him and I said he is not friendly I don't think you should try to pet him. The guy backed up. So now when he sees me & the dog he says hello, if he is in a stable mode I can even chat for a few minutes but Renn will sit at my side. LOL I was also a rottie lover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your Renn is priceless. I’ve found naturally protective dogs have better discernment than trained guard dogs. I will look for the thread. Is that a type o or did you mean “st poodle?” I’ve seen “spoo” also.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pupseeker,

My breeder isnt having pups this year. Too much going on. There is a bloodline of Spoos producing natural guardians but I'm drawing a blank. Its 1 of lines the Russian breeder had luck with. I've handled 2 dogs of that German line & they are top shelf. Some dogs learn to play the game & some have the natural instinct. The natural instinct to protect are the only ones I'd trust with my family. Mr. Layne's parents are natural no training for the work. Great dogs. My understanding is the breeders themselves of that German kennel have passed away but the bloodlines have still produced dogs for this type of work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the input. I agree with you re the natural instinct. I’m wondering if “spoo” means “sporting poodle?”

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Spoo, Piper has been doing the same thing for the last 18 months and is a very good judge of people! I trust her judgement! I don’t encourage barking though, since she is a SDiT, I want her to alert me to a person speaking to me, but not bark at them. She is very protective at home and on her property and makes rounds several times a day to be sure there are no intruders, including squirrels and turtles!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Spoo = standard poodle.

If you are just looking for a dog who is protective and watchful, I suggest this thread mentioned by Mufar. I have met very few dogs who aren't somewhat protective.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts