Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a almost 1 year old spoo. Yesterday we had a boy stay with us (college age) and Chase (spoo) went crazy barking and growling when he came in. He also would go next door for his play date with his "friend" a lab. He sat on the porch....I didn't think poodles were protective am I wrong? We have people over a lot and this has never happened.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think most are...if not a guarding, they are a great alert dog. Levi has a very strong aggressive bark and when guests come in and see him, they are surprised that he is a mini-poo....although he is really an over-sized mini-as he is 18 in and 22lbs. Paulie has a little squeaky bark-very different from Levi's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't bark when other people come this boy is the first one he's really barked at and the boy has never been to my house. Wierd. Things are going good now tho...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think any dog can be protective. Sometimes puppies can just get a weird whim too. It's hard to tell what is going through their head at times :).

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have a Rottweiler and a Maltese. Plus a Pitbull, a Standard Poodle and Chihuahua staying w/ me. (along w/ their two owners and 3 cats, ahhhhh!) The Poodle is the only one that alerts when someone it at the door or walking by the house. My Rottie will only bark when he is outdoors and the little dogs bark just b/c everyone else is.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yes I consider that spoos can be quite protective. They are not vicious but are certainly alert and watchful.

My first spoo Rusty used to be quite protective of the kids and me. If a strange man approached he would sit in front of the kids until I told him (or my husband said) it was ok. If Tom and I play fought Rusty would always take my side and try to help me win even if I started it (he knew who fed him). On the other hand he loved almost everyone. I have got to admit though when any of my dogs do not like someone I do take a second look at the person and wonder what is wrong with them.

Certainly almost all my spoos will alert me if someone is coming to the door.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
One of our PWDs did something similar with a young man. I wonder if they give off a certain vibe or can look menancing to dogs? She was fine with him later on, but when he came into our front hallway she reacted quite badly to him. Patricia McConnell had an interesting article on her blog recently that suggested that women cast a different shadow to men, which may help explain why dogs tend to have more issues with men than women.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Some spoos are protective , some are not so much .

Most will definitely make sure to "alarm" that visitor is coming, but than most would calm down immediately once they see who it is and "meet". For me, that is the perfect reaction. I prefer them more on a "friendly side" ...

I definitely would correct my spoo if there was any growling toward my visitors.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Not just spoos, apparently. When I took Teddy out for his morning constitutional, one of the little girls from next door was standing in our yard holding a kitten. She had come through a hole in our chain link fence that her hooligan friends have made, but that's another story for another time. I guess she had come in to get the cat (which doesn't live here either).

So, as soon as Teddy saw her, he started alerting. He didn't care that she was only about 10; he only knew that she was on our side of the fence and no one had invited her. She wanted to say hello to him, but he was very wary of her and wouldn't give her the time of day. He usually runs right over to any kid he hears/sees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts