Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I am considering a Miniature Poodle as my next canine companion. My husband and I recently lost our 16-year-old Papillon and deeply miss having a dog in our lives. We got our Papillon when he was 5 years old from a relative who became too ill to take care of him. I loved his intelligence and energy level, which is why I'm considering a Miniature Poodle. We love to walk, hike, ride bikes, snowshoe and paddle canoes and kayaks, and would love to have a dog that can accompany us on these adventures like our late Papillon did. We're also considering a Havanese, but they are very hard to find and may not encourage me to be as active as a MPoo would.

I have read some of the posts about breeders and think I have found a good one, but I still have research to do. How does one arrange visits to the breeder's home to meet the breeder, the parents and the pups during COVID?

I have not raised a puppy, but have read some of Ian Dunbar's work and follow How to Train a Dream Dog on YouTube and Facebook. I retired recently and have a lot of time and energy to dedicate to raising a puppy. My husband is self-employed and has a very flexible schedule.

Thanks in advance for your help and support!!

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Hello and welcome! Mpoos are a whirlwind, and you and your husband sound well equipped to handle their energy and intelligence. If you've identified a good breeder, I would contact them to find out about availability, and in a subsequent email ask about how to meet. As mentioned on another recent thread, breeders have figured out ways to do this even in the covid era, though the protocol may be a bit different than before.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a great home for a minipoo. Mine does all of those things with me and has no problem keeping up. But he still spends most of his time sleeping on the couch next to me while I work or watch tv. Very versatile dogs! Their intelligence often seems near human.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome! Mpoos are a whirlwind, and you and your husband sound well equipped to handle their energy and intelligence. If you've identified a good breeder, I would contact them to find out about availability, and in a subsequent email ask about how to meet. As mentioned on another recent thread, breeders have figured out ways to do this even in the covid era, though the protocol may be a bit different than before.
Thank you! I have a few questions about the parents, too, so I have plenty of topics for emails!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! Sounds like a great home for a minipoo. Mine does all of those things with me and has no problem keeping up. But he still spends most of his time sleeping on the couch next to me while I work or watch tv. Very versatile dogs! Their intelligence often seems near human.
Thank you, Raindrops! I love to hear that your MiniPoo likes to do all of those things plus read and watch TV! Sounds like a great dog!

·
Registered
780 Posts
You do sound like you would make a lovely home for a mini poodle. Don't worry about never having raised a puppy before, study up/be prepared with supplies and it will work out. There is something very special about a dog you have raised from a puppy! Everyone has questions about puppy raising, and Poodle Forum is a great place to ask them.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Super Moderator
7,105 Posts
I'm very excited for you as you embark on your poodle journey! I have similar breed tastes as you (would love both a Havanese and a Papillon someday) and I believe a poodle really is the ultimate life companion—from couch to trails.

When we met Peggy (along with her litter mates, dam, and sire) it was in her breeder's large fenced yard. We all sat in the grass and had a lovely time, and even though this was 7 months before covid, it was more than adequately social distanced.

We did then go into the house to see the whelping room, meet some more of the family, and go over the contract, but you could ask for photos of the breeder's set-up and handle all the rest from a distance.

Keep us posted as new questions pop up! We'll help you out as best we can.

Yours really sounds like such a wonderful home for a minipoo.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
You will make a wonderfull minipoo owner - lots of fun for your puppy.

Do mention what activities you plan to do - especially the canoeing and kayaking. My dog would love all your other activities, but she's not fond of the movement of boats on water. A good breeder will help you find a puppy that will love being in a boat on the water.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all of the encouraging responses! I found a breeder who breeds both Havanese and minipoos, and was on the list for a Havi puppy from the recent litter (born last week). However, the litter was smaller than expected and doesn't have a Havi for me. So she asked if I would be interested in a minipmoo - one of the families that was going to buy a pup had to change their plans, and an 8-week old male is now available. There's also a 4-week old that may be available. I plan to visit them in the next few days. BUT I may have found a red flag. The parents of the 8-week old have the same sire. He is a champion with CHIC, and all of the OFA tests going back three generations look good. There doesn't appear to be any other "inbreeding" in the past three generations. Should I be concerned about this pup? Both parents are champions. This is the only concern I have about this breeder. I value your feedback/input on whether I should be concerned. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That is some fairly close line breeding. My dog has some relatives on both sides of the tree as well, but none as close as that. I would ask the breeder about it and see what she says.

·
Registered
319 Posts
For Covid protocols, Basil's breeder and I met 2-3 times between late April to mid June outside under a big tree to see the litter in a basket in or in a fenced area outside to pick her.

I'm sure you could expect something similar if you mention "Covid safe protocols" prior to a meeting.

·
Premium Member
23,790 Posts
That is a line breeding. Some very good breeders use line breeding, some don't. Javelin has Ale Kai Mikimoto on Fifth in his pedigree more than once as a grandparent or further back. He is a great dog and a very good representative of the type set by Wendell Sammett in the Ale Kai lines. I am not bothered and line breeding if well executed would not put me off a particular litter.

Reactions: Charmed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your insights! This breeder also has a 4-week old blue male that I will see when I visit later this week. Your input makes it easier for me to decide to wait another 5 to 6 weeks to bring home the right pup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We brought home Topper, the little blue male mini, on October 29! He's named after our favorite lake in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. In his first week at home, he has learned that screaming in his night-time crate doesn't get any attention, and now he may grumble for the first few minutes in the crate, then falls asleep until our 2 a.m. potty break. He has had very few accidents in the house, and all of them were due to owner inattention. He still needs to learn to be quiet in his ex-pen. He has learned his name, "sit" and "touch." and usually allows us to grab his collar. Today I put him on the grooming table and had my husband feed him treats while I trimmed one nail on each paw. He loves to nap with us and brings SO much joy to our lives!
IMG_3819.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing - the people on this forum are wonderful! SO supportive and informative. Thank you, all!

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
I am delighted you went with the poodle! Havanese were bred to herd chickens, but they are stinkin’ cute. No comparison to a MENSA breed like a poodle. Topper is going to be a “heart” dog, he will steal it and break it maybe on the same day, but it will be SO worth it. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Congratulations on your cutiepoo!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts