Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not actually have a Poodle. My current dog, a sweetheart named Lucky, is an elderly mongrel.

So why am I here? Well, I don't have a Poodle, but I want one. My vet said it would probably be good for Lucky, too, if she had a puppy in her life. I have a lot of work related travel coming up over the next few months, so I don't intend to bring a puppy into my life until early October (although I'll be looking around before then). So, anyway, I don't have a Poodle yet, but don't kick me off the list because that will eventually change when I can give a pup the care it needs.

I'm also probably a minority in that I'm not all that crazy about Poodle hairstyles. But over the years I've come to understand that a dog's appearance should be the last consideration when picking a breed. Please don't tell me again why little puffs of fluff decorate a typical poodle's ankles and butt, because I've heard all of that before and I still don't like the appearance. For me it just isn't all about the hair. I am drawn to the Poodle because of its intelligence and adaptability. I guess you could say I'm more interested in what's under the hood.

Because of my lifestyle, I'll be looking for either a Miniature or a Toy. All things being equal, I'd prefer a Miniature, but those seem to be extremely rare when I poke around on the internet. However a lot of "Toys" that I've seen advertised are actually Miniatures, and I don't really care what the breeder calls the dog so long as it's small enough to be easily portable and yet not so small that it looks delicate. I don't believe a teacup should hold anything but tea.

About myself: My partner Scott and I live in western Pennsylvania. As I mentioned above, we share our home with Lucky, who we rescued twelve years ago. Scott works in the insurance industry. I'm a writer, which means my dogs are rarely home alone for any length of time. I'm never really sure what to say on these "introduce yourself" things, so rather than risk boring you, I'll bring this to a close now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome! There's a few here who also go for the strictly utilitarian 'dos. That's what's so great about poodle hair...it can be anything! I myself like a well-built naked poodle.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Welcome Alaric!

If you have your heart set on a miniature, you will be able to find one. They are more rare than toys, yes, but there are plenty mini breeders out there! I love all the poodle varieties, but the mini fits very well into my life. They are small enough to be portable, but sturdier than the toys. They are also quite active... mines loves running and playing endless rounds of fetch.

You can groom your poodle (or have it groomed) any way you want. Plenty of people keep their poodles in a short trim. But don't be surprised if you fall in love with the plush coat, it's so dreamy! My mini is a puppy and is in a puppy cut still, but he has about two to three inches on his body and it's all the same length (my husband won't let me do the pom poms!) :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome! I too am just a prospective poodle owner and have found this forum to be wonderfully informative. Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! There is a thread one here now called "Shaved down doggies" and people have posted photos of their completely shaved down Poodle. You might want to take a look and see how they look. They are quite the sportsman's dog when they are shaved off. Hope you enjoy it here, and if you have questions, fire away.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am sure that you can find the information and support you are seeking here. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few leads to minis.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Welcome, Alaric! I also do not currently own a poodle. I had a miniature as a childhood pet, and adored the dog. I am researching right now, and I am between a Havanese and a miniature poodle. My DH is not crazy about the looks of poodles, either. But, we need an allergy/kid friendly dog, and poodles are so intelligent. A mini is my preferred size, too. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, so please keep me posted on any leads you get! So far, I have found Barclay, which I believe is near Philly. She has black toys and apricot minis. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! There is a thread one here now called "Shaved down doggies" and people have posted photos of their completely shaved down Poodle. .
Thanks Arreau for posting that thread, I had a look and i think ALL of the dogs on there look great, it is nice to see pictures of what I have been picturing (in my head), for our boy when he arrives.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I love my mini! He is sweet, intelligent and a great size. I knew a Toy was not a good fit for us, and we didn't want to have two large dogs in our house, so a Standard was out. I know of several breeders I have on my list when it comes time to add another poodle to our lives, but I don't know if you'd want to ship or not. Good luck in your search! Poodle hair is very versatile and can be done just about anyway. We don't have any rosettes or anything on our boy, he does have long ears and a tail pom, but otherwise he's in a pretty utilitarian lamb trim, I think we'll be trying a modern or a German on him next.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Another thought, some people don't dock the poodle tail. Would that help in the "looks" department for your taste, to leave the tail natural?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm from western PA. I have 4 standards and one toy....none of them have PUFFS although I have gone thru very puffy periods in my dogs life. Since I am a groomer, I consider my dogs to be living topiary trees and I change from time to time. Call or come visit Barking Beauties Salon & S'Paw for Dogs - Home

I have an elderly mutt too...21 years old. If I was waiting for her to die to get a poodle, I'd still be waiting. I bought my 1st standard poodle when she was about 12....I thought she was elderly THEN.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

Thank you, everyone, for your warm and welcoming comments. I don't believe I have ever been part of such a friendly e-group. Special thanks to Arreau for pointing out the "shaved dogs" photos. That's probably the direction I'll go with my Poodle once I get him, or her. And Skye, we should keep in touch, I'm not that far from you, just up north near Cranberry Township.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi and Welcome! when it comes to hair, the options are really endless for a poodle, so I"m sure you will find something you like.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your warm and welcoming comments. I don't believe I have ever been part of such a friendly e-group. Special thanks to Arreau for pointing out the "shaved dogs" photos. That's probably the direction I'll go with my Poodle once I get him, or her. And Skye, we should keep in touch, I'm not that far from you, just up north near Cranberry Township.
Alaric, that sounds good! Let me know of any "poodle happenings" you find out about in our area, and I will do the same! I need to expose my husband to some poodles in action, so he can get a better picture of how wonderful the breed is!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts