Poodle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I think the first chicken wing is the most difficult one. We have had it dinned into us for so long that chicken bones are potentially lethal for dogs, that even reciting "Raw is safe, raw is safe ... " all the time the dog is eating it and for 24 hours after doesn't really overcome the fear. As I said on another thread, I have not been able to find a single documented case of a perforation from raw chicken bones on the web - and given the benefit to the huge, wealthy pet food industry of publicising such cases I cannot believe they would have gone unnoticed.

Several things got me over the hump into feeding raw meaty bones. Firstly, it was obvious that if I couldn't get, and keep, my dogs teeth clear of tartar by natural means, they would have to undergo the risks of a GA. Secondly, there were innumerable people who had been feeding dogs of all shapes and sizes on raw chicken for years - and the only reported issues were with big dogs swallowing joints whole. Thirdly I realised that my cats had been catching and eating rabbits, partridges, pigeons, etc for years - and that the dogs routinely checked for left overs and wolfed them down while I was still in the bathroom - so they had already opted for raw feeding!

They do have preferences - Sophy doesn't like raw heart or kidney, the cats won't eat kidney raw or cooked, Poppy wants whatever is in Sophy's bowl ... I don't like the mess they make with raw liver. Also, some of the packs of meat are too large to use up in a day or two. So I am feeding a combination of raw and home cooked, with a few packs of NatureDiet in the cupboard for emergencies. So far it is working well for us.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My dogs have only ever had raw ground beef in the satin balls I made for Lucy. They all really love them but I haven't given the two older dogs much because they don't need to gain weight.

I am glad that others have the same fear about chicken bones. I am sure its as fjm said - we have had it repeated over and over again. I can remember when I was a child, we used to go to a horsemeat butcher shop in Purley and my Mom cooked that up and dried left over bread in the oven and mixed the lot together - and that was the dog's food. It was probably just like human food - when I was growing up in England there was no such thing as "premade" food for dogs or humans - you made your own from scratch!

My Mom was always telling us "never give the dogs a chicken bone - they splinter and the dog will choke." And I can't get that out of my head. However I am going to feed raw in some form or other. If I am not brave enough to feed bones at first - I will probably get there in time.

I know there are people like my sisters (Mrs and Mrs Martha Stewart) who make everything they eat from scratch. I don't like cooking for humans and I don't think I am going to start cooking for the dogs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am so petrified about chicken and pork bones and dogs that there is no way i could deal with raw unless it was ground up.
i am okay with my dogs on kibble w/ a bit of home cooking tossed in.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
chicken bones are only unsafe IF cooked.

YES bones can get lodged. If you have a gulper it's recommended to not feed things they can do in one gulp (IE a chicken thigh) but instead things they have to at least break up a bit (IE a chicken back/ chicken neck) . That said cases i know off the top of my head who have had a lodged bone from eating Raw? 1 cases in the last year of friends dogs who needed same surgery for toy parts/socks/peices or snagged COOKED bones (IE got to the tday turkey) 5. this year. Alone. SO for me- that puts the risk low- that said i don't feed chicken drumsticks as i do have gulpers- but do backs, and then ground meat for the rest. Beef, bison peices etc.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Mine had duck necks for the first time today. Nearly as good as raw tripe, they reckon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm going to yell this because I've said it many times and it is easily found on the web:

RAW CHICKEN BONES ARE SOFT, FLEXIBLE AND DISSOLVE IN A DOGS HIGHLY ACIDIC STOMACH EASILY.

COOKED CHICKEN BONES ARE THE DANGEROUS ONES. THEY SPLINTER INTO SHARP SHARDS.

RAW AND COOKED ARE VERY DIFFERENT. DON'T LUMP THEM INTO THE SAME CATEGORY!!!

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I'm going to yell this because I've said it many times and it is easily found on the web:

RAW CHICKEN BONES ARE SOFT, FLEXIBLE AND DISSOLVE IN A DOGS HIGHLY ACIDIC STOMACH EASILY.

I think everyone has been emphasising just these differences, rather than lumping them together?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thirdly I realised that my cats had been catching and eating rabbits, partridges, pigeons, etc for years - and that the dogs routinely checked for left overs and wolfed them down while I was still in the bathroom - so they had already opted for raw feeding!
This is what will be playing in my head over and over when i leap into feeding prey model style. My own cats eat birds, squirrels, and mice nearly everyday! Once my cat brought home a baby rabbit!!! :scared:
It was still alive, completely unharmed, she was just carrying it in her mouth by the scruff and dropped it when she saw me coming at her... lol, the thing took off like a bullet.

I see my cats crunch through bones, even eat the squirrel's head! It always amazes me at how domesticated cats have been but their hunting insticts are embedded so deeply and come alive! My cats are true hunters, they don't want any of that kibble i fill in their bowls... they want the real stuff!

This is what i think will get me through to taking the complete plunge into feeding raw meaty bones. I believe my mom may follow when i do, she is just so terrified, but over two years ago she couldn't even fathom feeding raw period. Neither could i but i researched and did it and now i see how much they LOVE it.

I've learned so much through researching about raw, there is still much for me to learn but one day i'll get there! :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

that's okay for you to yell. i suppose, but still ihave a fear of this. you may be correct, but it doesn't stop my fear.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes. That's how I am. I sort of know that what I believe is not correct, but somehow I can't get it out of my head!!

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Yes. That's how I am. I sort of know that what I believe is not correct, but somehow I can't get it out of my head!!
Take it step by step. If you start with the soft, cartilage bones like small lamb and pork ribs, then take a deep breath and try a duck neck (reputed to be largely cartilage, and the bones are tiny and very soft), and then a chicken neck - again, tiny soft bones - then you may find you never need to feed chicken bones at all.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

LOL :rockon:

That said- yes it takes a leap of faith- even still with puppies who i raise on premade/ground the first chicken back i give... oh i sit there and hold my breath. Bella i swear likes to lodge them in her mouth- but i give it a moment and she chomps and chows down happily

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I agree, it's just a leap of faith.
I will never go back.

I just pack frozen coolers when we go camping, it's not so bad. :) It thaws out as we go (my dogs will eat frozen food) and we'll pick up some fresh stuff from stores in the area if we run out.

I will never ever go back to kibble.

My dogs look/feel amazing.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
LOL -

Yes there is much misconception..........same with many things that people are not familiar with or experienced. Some can take the leap and some cannot. I never thought I could handle the Raw but is fairly easier than I thought.

Not only is their digestive system built to break down the bones (for the most part) their throats are also shaped that when they do choke they stretch their necks out and spit/throw it right back up :) Once it came back out it went right back in the mouth with a good chomp and swallow. It is scary when you see this - regardless of their bodies being able to handle it. But they are just as likely to choke on kibble as Raw, truth.

I think the best thing anyone can do considering this is exactly this, ask questions, read the different variations and have a good plan.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I was on the verge of feeding raw for years, but I was afraid.
Now I look back and laugh at myself, because it's so easy.

I trained my guys to eat on towels.

I asked a ton of questions at first, and people are very friendly about helping.
Let me know if you want some websites that can help. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have fed my 11 year old cat on pre made raw (Primal Venison) for a couple of years now when she presented with severe food allergies. My cat sitter says that my cat has the softest fur of any cat she cares for, and I agree, not to mention the tiny poops. :D

So I'm a fan of raw, and when I got Fozzie that's what I planned to do. My breeder was adamant that she'd been feeding hund-n-flocken kibble for 20 years and never had an issue and to be truthful I was tempted by the reasonable cost and ease of the kibble.

But Fozzie just doesn't like it and it's really a chore to keep trying to push him to eat. So it should be easy to feed Primal, but my freezer space in my small downtown apartment is now at a premium with our regular use plus the cat's frozen dinner. We definitely do not have the space to feed regular raw human food for now, but I'm open to it.

So I'm trying to decide whether to change to a more palatable kibble, such as Orijen 6 fish; move to dehydrated raw like Stella and Chewy's, or bite the bullet and go to primal raw patties and use the dehydrated raw for travel.

Open to new ideas and suggestions, too!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts