Poodle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Curlydogs for your honesty,I really appreciate it.
Im sure some dogs coats require more frequent brushing than others and that's what works for your baby.
Im really starting to get excited now about sharing my life with a Standard Poodle =)
My family thinks Im nuts,lol.I have always been a Mastiff,Rottie,Shepherd,type owner and they think I have went off the deep end wanting a Standard Poodle =)

·
Registered
254 Posts
My family thinks Im nuts,lol.I have always been a Mastiff,Rottie,Shepherd,type owner and they think I have went off the deep end wanting a Standard Poodle =)

I can tell you from experience that it wears off quickly.

Not only did my family and most friends think I was crazy for getting a poodle (I've also always been a rottie/shepherd/etc person), but I myself refused the suggestion at first (my initial post on this forum was titled "No way: I hate poodles!).

You would not believe the number of comments I get now along the lines of "wow, I didn't know that poodles could be so big and so 'normal' looking", "what a fantastic dog,... I've never really been a poodle person but that's a great dog.. I didn't know they were like this", "That's a poodle? I heard they were great with kids and all but I didn't know they were so athletic!", etc.

Needless to say, my friend that was responsible for actually convincing me to get a poodle in the first place has serious "I told you so" bragging rights at this point, as I will quite likely never own a different breed again. My family and friends are now not only converted, they may be converting a second wave because they talk about Lilith so much and how awesome she is. :)

I'm excited for you, too! Multiple-Poodle-Syndrome is a serious thing to consider, though. I was warned about it when I joined this forum, and sure enough I already find myself dreaming about a second poodle (can't happen - too small of an apartment and way too expensive to get these animals out of here with me when I finally move in 4 years or so, but still,...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Amy for sharing that with me.
Im sure my family will feel the same when they meet my future Standard Poodle =)
My husband really is not on board with the "poodle" idea but he will fall in love after it gets here,he always does.I keep telling him it's not a foo foo dog.
We have both said we will only ever have 2 dogs at a time after our Mastiffs.
If he doesn't like the poodle he can get another breed to satisfy his manhood,lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh my. You could be writing about my husband nearly 20 years ago, when I brought home our first poodle. His first words: "What are you doing with that little black rat??"
Fifteen minutes later, he was snuggling with the little one on the couch. That poodle, bought from a pet store (I know, I know...) was such a smart, wonderful dog that at some point my husband said very firmly: "After this, I think we should only ever have poodles."

That poodle is gone now. We then got another silver mini, Pippin, and a year after that, falling victim to MPS, we added our beautiful Casey, born a mini but went over-size, so technically he is a very small standard.

Besides falling victim to Multiple Poodle Syndrome, we decided to include a pet spa (a large tub for bathing dogs) in our laundry room when we finished our basement. Maybe that falls under the heading of the poodles getting us to do what they want? Just another luxury in the life of the every-day poodle... ;-)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Beach girl,that is how Im hoping it works here =)
My husband is a real dog lover so I know he will get attached to any breed I bring home,I think it's just a macho thing with the poodle,lol.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I absolutely adore my standards and can't imagine going with any other breed at this point. But, we used to own many breeds!!! Black Russian Terrier, German Shepherd, English Setters. For me poodles are truly a breed apart from the rest (you can tell I am not at all biased, right). I believe Dolores Hope had said it best. Years ago Barbara Walters had an interview with Dolores Hope and conversation drifted to Dolores' dogs. Barbara said: "So Dolores, I understand you have 7 dogs!" Dolores' response was: "No Barbara, I have 5 dogs and 2 Poodles!"

You already got a lot of good input on poodles, their pros and cons. I have just a few things I want to mention from my personal experience with my standards. They were by far the easiest dogs to potty train/house brake ever. Romeo (cream standard) came home at 12 weeks, was shown the sliding door and doggy door, went to pee outside and that was it. I am not kidding. Brandy, my standard female came to me at 10 weeks. She wasn't as easy, although #2 was instant, #1 took about 10 days and a few accidents, but after that she was golden.

Neither one of my spoos were distractive as puppies. Romeo was simply the most ideal puppy I've ever had. No chewing, no puppy biting, no shoes, cell phones, house phones, socks or other mischief. Brandy, liked to shred paper, but that was about it.

Neither one of my spoos are picky eaters, they are actually more like labs and love their food. They also don't have sensitive stomachs and can eat pretty much anything, in any combinations and switching food is no problem (knocking on wood here).

Are there any poodle play groups/meet up in your area? It would be a great way to get to know the breed a little better and get some first hand experience with poodles in action. Also, visiting with breeders and seeing their dogs is also helpful, as well as checking out a local AKC dog show.

Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can tell you my father didn't want a poodle.

Tye is an oversized mini that was originally my grandmothers. When she got sick and a puppy proved to be to much she asked me to take him. But my parents kept him for a month until I came home from school. Well Tye picked my mom, and really didn't want anything to do with me. So he stayed at home when I moved out a few months later for grad school. My father was not really happy about it.

Well both my parent's weren't to excited over the new addition being a poodle. They had a schipperke too. But Tye has become my fathers dog and LOVES snoozing on his lap in the afternoon. Tye also loves walking with my dad in the evening. Tye is fear aggressive and doesn't get along with strangers or other dogs. So at least for now they can't add another dog anytime soon. But they both love my two very very much. I sometimes wonder if my parents want me to visit to see me or the dogs! But I know their next dog will be a poodle. Most likely another Mini. And it surely makes visiting easier on my allergies! They both just wish he wasn't so fearful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Julia,Im so glad to hear that yours are not picky eaters!
I have found a breeder about 45 minutes away from me and I will call and see if she can take some time to talk with me after the holidays or sometime.I would love to interact with some Standard Poodles in person.I have only seen a couple in my lifetime and they were clients at the vet clinic I worked for so didn't get to spend much time with them persay,unfortunately you have to talk to the people too,lol. I also thought about going to grooming businesses and talking with them perhaps volunteer to help in some way for exchange for knowledge about coat care,etc..
Thanks for all the input,keep it coming,lol.
Pam

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
...I think it's just a macho thing with the poodle,lol.
My husband LOVES the standards (and he wholeheartedly agreed to the continental clip on our red!!) He loves to walk the girls when they're freshly groomed and fluffed (he loves to walk them anytime, but he's especially proud of them when they look the most "fancy" :lol:)

Prior to the poodles, my husband accepted the dogs in the house because he loves me and knew they made me happy - he wasn't a "dog person" but since we've added the poodles to our pack, he has jumped in with both feet - He has truly been bitten by the poodle bug!!

Barb

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Barb,thanks so much for the pics and telling me about how much your husband cares about your poodles.
I just love that last picture,the way your poodle is "admiring" your husband,lol.
Looks like there should be hearts floating through the air =)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think for me the biggest difference between my standard and other dogs I've had is that Liberty really wants, and works on having a relationship with me. She's very intuitive. . . I swear sometimes she reads my mind. She's happy if she's where I am, whether it's in the mountains, visiting friends, or laying in a hospital bed next to a sick child. She adapts to different situations very well and goes from athletic and energetic to quiet, calm and snuggly quickly, depending on the situation and what's expected of her.

She's not picky about food at all. She'll eat anything, including jalepeno peppers that accidentally dropped on the floor and got licked up before I could pick it up. ;)

I'm addicted to this breed. I think I'll always have one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
She's happy if she's where I am, whether it's in the mountains, visiting friends, or laying in a hospital bed next to a sick child. She adapts to different situations very well and goes from athletic and energetic to quiet, calm and snuggly quickly, depending on the situation and what's expected of her.
That sounds so perfect!!
I would really like to do some hospital visits with my spoo.I have done this with a friends Whippet before and it is so satisfying to watch someone that is so sick and not feeling well perk up when they see a furry friend =)
Thanks for your info,I really appreciate it =)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My sister has a standard poodle also. her husband doesn't like pets, but tolerates them.

not any more. her spoo has changed the errors of his ways ... heh. he's all about her dog.

temperance is my love. my heart dog. i love love love this dog. it's a poodle thing .. .i used to only like big dogs like my lab/rottie and my german shepherd. then i got my cairn terriers ... and then i fell in love with my son's labx who lives with me. and now. well i got temperance, a black spoo and i LOVE LOVE LOVE her. i love her.

and i am planning my next spoo. fall 2012.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
LOL faerie,sounds like you are very smitten with your spoo =)
What is it that you love so much about her?
If you can explain,I know sometimes it's hard to put into words.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Spoos and cons don't belong in the same sentence!

I love every single standard poodle I've met and I've met so many. They can be really wild babies, so be ready for that if you're going to get a puppy. Once they've hit adulthood, they generally calm down. Most are very trainable and listen very well if well trained. They are scary smart however and have their own minds. For example, if you keep telling them to the do the same thing over and over, they will see it as pointless and pretend to not hear you. Border collies are said to be smarter but they'll keep doing the same trick over and over while a spoo will use common sense and dismiss you. Guess who is actually smarter?

Every dog is different so I can't really say that all will do one thing or another. Most are smart enough to realize that frequent treats for good behavior is a privilege not to mess up and will not take advantage of you by counter surfing or trash diving, but there are occasions where good ones will (like mine did after we have to stop giving her table scraps when she developed allergies to many things) or some just will no matter what.

I like that most won't stuff themselves full of food until they vomit. It hasn't been my experience that they eat everything and anything, including inedible hazards, which is good. But I mean adults, not puppies.

Energy levels seem to be on the lowish side once they're mature. But some are crazy active while some are downright lazy. It depends on the individual, of course.

At most times, they really seem more like children than like "just a dog".

I can't say enough good things about standard poodles and would recommend them to almost any GOOD owner. If you work a lot, or are away from home a lot, don't get one. If you don't believe that your dog is part of the family, then don't get one. These are not an aloof breed. They form very strong bonds with their favorite person and really the whole family. They are like children and need mental stimulation (the more the better to exercise and occupy their expansive minds). They also need love and attention. They need to be part of your family, sitting on the couch with you while you watch tv and going with you on road trips. Treat them like a member of the family and they will reward you with years of devotion and unconditional love.

When a spoo looks at you, you could swear human eyes were looking back at you. You don't get that blank doggy stare. When I tell my spoo, Ginger, that I love her, she looks into my eyes and gives me a kiss every single time. Every one that meets her loves her. Even people who don't like dogs. They are just unlike any other breed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow,what a tribute =)
Our furkids are part of our family and we even have to keep a small picture album in our truck so hubby can brag on them and show them off.
There are two pics of our 2 grandchildren in there and the rest are of our furkids,lol.
We like our furkids more than we like most people =)
Your Ginger sounds like a real love!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts