Poodle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ryan, toy poodle, black
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my boy Ryan is about four months old. Recently I was planning to change his kibbles and the people in selling pet supplies suggested me this Pronature Holistic. After that I found out this is an adult kibbles.

Is there any effect for him eating adult kibbles?

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Is there any effect for him eating adult kibbles?
Often the only difference is the amount you need to feed. Puppies need more calories than adults so you will need to feed more than what is says on the box, unless they have a specific amount mentioned for puppies. With puppies anyways it’s best to follow the dog’s growth and feed accordingly. It’s not wise to feed blindly what the manufacturer says.

Other than that you should be fine.

·
Registered
Ryan, toy poodle, black
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Often the only difference is the amount you need to feed. Puppies need more calories than adults so you will need to feed more than what is says on the box, unless they have a specific amount mentioned for puppies. With puppies anyways it’s best to follow the dog’s growth and feed accordingly. It’s not wise to feed blindly what the manufacturer says.

Other than that you should be fine.
Thanks for your advice

·
Administrator
13,788 Posts
“Puppies require more calories per pound of their body weight than adult dogs do; they also require higher levels of protein, fat, calcium, phosphorus, and a few more minerals. Feeding them food that is labeled for ‘adult maintenance’ will leave them nutritionally deficient.”

And for any spoo owners reading this thread:

“[A]nimal nutrition experts came to understand that large-breed puppies should receive less calcium than puppies of smaller breeds to prevent their bones from growing too quickly. Excessively fast growth can result in the development of bone and joint abnormalities in large-breed puppies. So, in 2016, AAFCO began to require food makers to explicitly state whether their products contained calcium at an appropriate level for large breed puppies (defined as those pups expected to reach an adult weight of more than 70 pounds).”

·
Administrator
13,788 Posts
If you look at the label on a package of puppy food, you will see that the serving size increases by age before eventually dropping again. This is important as it correlates with expected growth rate. You may notice that Ryan is naturally hungrier right before a growth spurt.

Peggy will be two in May, but we still feed her more when she’s hungry, as we’ve found she’s very good at self-regulating. We can trust her appetite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.