Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Promised Land Poodles opinion...

Some of you probably saw my post in the introduction forum, but maybe asking about this particular breeder fits better in this forum.

I am thinking about driving 11 hours to pick up a puppy from a breeder in Montana. Could you look at this web site and give me your thoughts on these puppies?

http://promisedlandpoodles.com/

She appears to be somewhat new to the poodle breeding, but she did post scans of test done on her Dam and Sire.

Your thoughts and insight is appreciated.

p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I already posted my opinion in your other thread. I would go with the local breeder. Honestly if I where to get one I would not buy from the Montana breeder. Why drive 11 hrs for a breeder who does not seem to want to improve the breed, when you have a very good breeder right in your back yard?

When I mean "this breeder does not seem to want to imporve the breed" I am talking about how she only breeds and does not show her dogs or puts them in other dog events such as , Obedience, agility etc..

I saw that she showed one dog in UKC but she did not show the parents of the pups. Why go to a beginner breeder when you can go to a professional experienced breeder?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Im with Roxy on this one. Dont get good vibes from the other. Sorry

Edited to say, why dont you take a drive and meet both like I said in intros. None of us can really make up your mind for you, you need to be happy with the person you are buying from.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opening my horizons....

Thank you all, for your thoughts on this subject...

I think my main hestancy about the local breeder is that she is just now thinking about a health warranty. Plus there are a lot of "ifs" -- Although the parantage of these pups is great...

But now this opens another thought.... does anyone know a good breeder than either has puppies, or will in the near future in NW United Staes? If I'm willing to travel 11 hours for this Montana set, why not open my scope to traveling to another breeder?

p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Thank you all, for your thoughts on this subject...

I think my main hestancy about the local breeder is that she is just now thinking about a health warranty. Plus there are a lot of "ifs" -- Although the parantage of these pups is great...
well she probably just now saying she will make one for you to show you that she has nothing to hide and that she wants you to be a happy customer.

Some breeders who are at the top are well known and people that buy from them know how good the bloodlines are. How long has the local breeder been breeding dogs ?

go to http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm and look up when the next dogs shows are. go to them and personally talk to the breeders , I bet you will find a lot of good breeders in your area also

I say contact PCA and ask them for a list of breeders in the areas you are willing to drive.

Also try Northern CA we have a bunch I good breeders there also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well she probably just now saying she will make one for you to show you that she has nothing to hide and that she wants you to be a happy customer.

Some breeders who are at the top are well known and people that buy from them know how good the bloodlines are. How long has the local breeder been breeding dogs ?

go to http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm and look up when the next dogs shows are. go to them and personally talk to the breeders , I bet you will find a lot of good breeders in your area also

I say contact PCA and ask them for a list of breeders in the areas you are willing to drive.

Also try Northern CA we have a bunch I good breeders there also.
I'm thinking this is the first litter that she has done.... she is leasing her bitch from http://www.castagnedog.com/ There is a show up in Linden (about 30 miles away) on the 16/17 and I am planning on going up to it.

p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm thinking this is the first litter that she has done.... she is leasing her bitch from http://www.castagnedog.com/ There is a show up in Linden (about 30 miles away) on the 16/17 and I am planning on going up to it.

p
AHHH I see I was very confused on which breeder was new. This could explain why she did not have a health guarantee ( she is still learning her self) I would still not go with the montana breeder.

You best chances will to go to that up coming show. Make sure you know what time standard poodles are showing and what ring number.

Wait until the class is finished to talk to the breeders. Tell them what happened to your poor girl and see if they have anything available most breeders will back up on what they are breeding and offer a health guarantee.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought Star from cross country, unmet.

She flew to me on Delta in the cargo hold.

I did wind up getting her from a breeder that local apricot breeders recommended to me. None of them had puppies available and they knew her and knew she was a legitimate breeder and confirmation/agility participant who had pups with good lineage.

It was weird though....kind of like getting a mail order bride!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your input!

All,

It is so easy to go for the "instant gratification" but after reading all your post and talking to another local breeder I have decided to not go with the Montana breeder. It bothers me that the main reason she has puppies, is to sell them..... She is very nice and we connected in an unusual way, it just doesn't feel right.

I have come to the conclusion that I will go on the waiting list for the local puppies, while continueing my search. I have decided that if need be, I will have a puppy shipped in...

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Promised Land Poodles

To imply that the only good breeders are show,agility etc people is outragous! I breed Standard Poodles because I love the breed, they are not only beautiful but they are kind loving inteligent animals. My main concern is health as i too have been a poodle owner that has had a poodle puppy suddenly die at 5months. No matter how long you have been breeding or how impressive your bloodlines are that does not guarentee good health. I have several pups whos owners are showing and training in agility obediance and hunting. We know that the standard is proficiant in these areas, and i too am working with my dogs. I just choose not to do it in the ring mostly because of the unkind and inexcusable behavior of many of the people that do. The main thing here is to get the right home for the dog. If that means to refer to other breeders for that prospective owner to feel comfortable about the choice then we should all be willing to do that and not slander other breeders in the process. If you are interested in my motives then feel free to ask. My main priority is HEALTH then appropriate placement and of corse integrity and honesty with prospective owners.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Health and conformation aren't an either/or issue. You can have both and they tend to go hand in hand.

You mention the attitude of other people that show. Do you really expect those people to be welcoming to someone who breeds w/o proving their dogs. I can certainly understand why they would be frustrated. Here they are trying to better the breed; and people who aren't concerned w/ titles of any sort, are dragging the breed down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no one said that conformation is not important however I think that health is more important and so should you! and since my dogs are very healthy and i have made that public you should then assume by your statement that they are also correct in comformation...since in your statement you claims they go hand. The attitudes of "some" show people is the reason why more people dont title their dogs. And titles in no way better the breed. They only make people like yourself feel good about "you" How about you spend more time being kind and helpful to others that are breeding-that is what is truly going to better the breed.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My main priority is HEALTH then appropriate placement and of corse integrity and honesty with prospective owners.
Welcome to the forum! If you've had a look around you've probably seen a lot of debate about the breeding of titled versus non titled dogs.

IMO if health was all that mattered, we'd all be getting mutts from the shelter because of their "hybrid vigor". But everyone participating on this forum (presumably) wants poodles, so we have to accept that certain health problems go along with dogs that fit the criteria of being a poodle. Should breeders be trying to make the breed healthier? Definitely! But not to the point where a poodle stops being a poodle. If that makes any sense. :) It's trying to get a perfect balance between conformation, personality and health.

Edited to add - I'm not saying your poodles don't look or act like poodles. I'm just saying I think breeders need to have a wide focus and aim for the whole package where possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
as we all know we cannot control what others choose to do however the ever critical attitude of people in the poodle breeding/show/etc business is not helping to better the breed either. unfortunatly there are always going to be people that only care about the buck not the breed. lets just do our best and have some dignety and some respect. and most of all lets not critisize people you know nothing about!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I love it when someone who breeds a 17 month old bitch talks about the importance of health. :)

And to come full circle in the breeder drama, I see that a puppy from that litter was registered as Bijou's Coralicious of K-Lar. (where is the popcorn emoticon?)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I love it when someone who breeds a 17 month old bitch talks about the importance of health. :)

And to come full circle in the breeder drama, I see that a puppy from that litter was registered as Bijou's Coralicious of K-Lar. (where is the popcorn emoticon?)
O god .... :popcorn: smh

·
Registered
335 Posts
Am not in on any of this but just saw your post and wondered what the proper age is to breed a bitch-just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are kidding about this I hope !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
its unfortunate for the "breed" that you have nothing better to do with your time than to dig up information that you can turn into somthing that it is not. exploitation and slander will not gain you popularity in the areas that you need it most and that is with those of us that are trying to breed responsibly, in retrospect you are just enabeling the very thing you dispise! too bad because your knowledge is valuable but your character is appalling

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Am not in on any of this but just saw your post and wondered what the proper age is to breed a bitch-just out of curiosity?
There's no "proper" age persay. 2 is generally the accepted earliest age for a Mini/ Standard poodle but many breeders both on and off this forum breed earlier. From the Versatility in Poodles website (which is a great resource):

Red Flags (when evaluating a breeder/ breeder's website):
1) A breeder having numerous colors and varieties or breeds.
2) The newest "marketing buzz phrase" e.g. Hunting Poodles, Royal Poodles or Teacup Poodles.
3) Breeding multiple litters in a year.
4) Breeding young (too young for proper genetic clearances). Standards and Miniatures should be 2 years old, and Toys 1 year old before breeding.
5) Breeder willing to sell and ship without personal contact.

http://www.vipoodle.org/PDF_Files/How to Read Breeder Website.pdf

1 - 20 of 33 Posts