Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My family is ready to begin searching for a Standard Poodle in Central Oregon. Our boy, Finn, is almost one-year-old, and is doing very well with training and generally being the best Golden possible. We have a nice sized yard and my husband works full-time from home, so any new family member will generally have 24-7 people (and dog) presence. We are happy to receive any feedback or suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there! I am not really concerned about the gender of the dog. Our Golden is male. I would be more focused on the breeder's recommendation about the best fit of personality/temperament with my family. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, no, I am not looking to breed. While I don't want to offend anyone, I am not a supporter of "designer" dog breed crosses.

Our Golden is not yet neutered. Our breeder recommended he be at least one year old prior to doing so. If we were to have a female dog, I would work with both breeders to arrive at the recommended neuter plan for Finn, but it would clearly be prior to the first estrus of the female. Of course, if a new pup were male, I'd just go with breeder recommendations for timing of neutering of both dogs.

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
That's a relief to know; a lot of poodle enthusiasts here who are repelled by doodles. I think they're cute, but why doodle when you can poodle, and I am extremely leery of puppy mills.

Others can be more helpful with your finding a spoo in your location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Vita: I understand completely. I should have been clearer about my desire for a Standard Poodle. I am a psychologist and I have dreams of training my dogs to be therapy dogs. Thus, I am interested in stable, well-tempered, intelligent dogs. I am also partial to larger breeds. I strongly value health and conformation and am of the mindset that the "designer" crosses are not consistent with these values.

@zooeysmom: Thank you! I am going to e-mail Jeff at Canzone. :)

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I will defer to zooeysmom on breeder recommendations out west, but will say I think you will find a poodle and a golden to be a nice combination. Your focus on health and stability of temperament is sure to find you a nice pup. And I agree with you that there isn't much to be said for "designer crosses." The breeding stock of each parent breed that goes into them is not likely to be the best with most of the people that produce them..

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Goldens are my second favorite breed. I just love them! And I think your golden and poodle family will work just fine. I think having two dogs that are close in age is a blast. You will have so much fun seeing them playing together and develop a dog-dog relationship!

One thing to be aware of is that goldens and poodles have very different eating habits. Having one of each will require a bit more management on your part. Poodles are generally picky eaters, often walking away from their food and coming back later. Poodles do not tend to overeat, so lots of people just leave kibble out all day. Of course, you will not be able to do that with a golden in the house! With one golden and one poodle, you will almost certainly need to separate them at meal time.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Had and still have Goldens in my family! Sweetest dogs ever (if bred correctly) mine were always soooo mellow, best children's dog ever! Now my son has carried on the tradition, and I have a mini that was raised by a golden to be the sweetest poodle too! Good luck on your search, you have made a fine choice!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Peppersb, you really hit the nail on the head regarding the eating habits of goldens and poodles. We have a yellow lab who lives to eat. The minipoo and the chihuahua have to be fed in a gated area. They eat best when the two big dogs sit right outside the gate and stare at the little dogs' bowls. In fact, I sometimes have to let the big dogs into the gated area so the little dogs will eat their meals. It's always a matter of "someone else has a better meal than I have".

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Yeah, my friends with goldens have always been pretty dumbstruck by the idea that we free fed when we fed kibble. I remember one of them saying that his dog would eat until she exploded if he left food freely available.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I love goldens, they are great dogs and would fit well with a standard poodle. As for the differences in eating habits, it really just depends, both my girls are fed twice a day and eat everything right away. They also love pretty much everything I've ever offered to them, but I home cook so dinners are tasty.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
A Golden and a Poodle sounds like the happiest household ever! Wishing you the best in your search.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Cammie and a visiting golden having fun. I think your poodle and golden family is going to be just fabulous!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts