Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are products your poodles love and can't live without? Have you had an excellent online buying experience? Do you buy a so-called great product, only to have it fall apart the next day? Did you order something but never have it show up?? Share here!

Cuz Balls

We have three Cuz Balls for Mitch, and they are awesome and they last forever!! The squeak can be a little irritating at first, but if your dog loves you, they will desqueak it promptly and chew off the feet. It's squishy enough to fit in a Chuck-it, it bounces well, and can be chewed and chewed and chewed without falling apart. Definitely a staple at our house.

Ella's Lead
On the 17th, I ordered a leash from Ella's Lead. Customer service was AMAZING!!! I asked a bunch of questions, and got a very friendly reply within a few hours. I ordered the Marri's Lead and asked if I could get a traffic handle on it, they said no problem! I found the price very reasonable as well.
I can't WAIT to get it, and will post pictures and let you know how it works when it arrives!

Add your product reviews!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I Love Ellaslead! I am on another board with the owner, and she is great. I have a leash i like, but i also had her make me a car tie to hook to Rileys seatbelt. I love it, and he is not going anywhere with that thing attached!

Sitstay.com is wonderful! Love them and their products!
Ruffwear is another favorite of mine.
LLBean has wonderful beds that is Rileys favorite.
Masterspride.com for his wonderful collar!

Thats all i can think of for now.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Bella loves those squeaky toys with the faux sherpa outer (she has 2 small lambs, a bear and a bone). She also, occasionally, likes a nylabone. I got them for her so she would stop chewing on my sprinkler heads! :doh:

She love love loves her KONGS (or rather that they're stuffed with food). We give them to her when we leave (sometimes, rarely now b/c still figuring out tummy problems) to keep her happy. We used to stuff with plain yogurt and kibbles and freeze them so it would keep her busy, longer. or in a hurry kibble held together with the gel probiotics and stuffed with an ice cube on the top to take a minute to get it all out.

And she loves a fluffy bed. :) She just got a new one for her b-day today so we can retire the one she ripped the heck out during her puppy months. I had to find one without piping, which is tough, because I think that would still be too much of a temptation to chew at.

To help with her pulling (when we started puppy class at 3 months) we got a Gentle Leader. I do think it helped, but in extreme situations (i.e. children, other dogs, something interesting) she would still pull. Lately I've walked her without it, without much interesting, and she's okay. I think I would still use it for the park, though we haven't been in months (tummy troubles...I'm a broken record today, aren't I?)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My very favorite poodle thing I own is my clipper for doing faces. I can do furry paw pads and also carve designs into their fur with my Wahl Chromado. I think my only other thing is their Les Pooch fragrances.

I have had hundreds of collars, leashes, toys and doggie related "stuff" out the wazzoo. All my dogs really want is MY TIME and ATTENTION. So I buy them tons of stuffed animals at yard sales and occasionally better quallity stuffed dog toys but that's about it. (I know, I read the thread on "not buying human toys for dogs....but I am careful, really!) All the other items are icing on the fluffy cake.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jamie has a squeeky monkey toy, its actually for small dogs (its about 3 inches tall) she carries it around and squeaks it. I was using it to get the puppies attention while I was taking pictures, and everytime I set it down she stole it.

I also like the Rhino by nylabone. its cheaper than a Kong, and has little nubblies on it. the dogs like them...and they are all scented (I think its vanilla)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I big OLE RAW KNUCKLE BONE!!!! Those things will keep her occupied for HOURS. All I hear is her chewing, scrapping, and nawing on those things. It's worse at night when we go to bed <sigh>

OH, yeah, and anything that squeaks. She has one or two squeaky's that she hasn't torn the squeaker out of that she seems to really like (guess she doesn't want to distroy her fav's), but every other one, she's mutilated in about 5 minutes after getting it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I boight Flash this enormous purple ball at PetSmart. It has a handle on it, and it's unbelievably durable. I even ran it over with my car once! (oops...) it damaged my bumper, but the ball didn't have a mark on it. I've seen him play with that ball for literally hours on end. No other toy has held his interest that long. I can't remember the brand name, but it looks like a miniature version of a horse ball, and it's about 20" in diameter.

I also swear by Nylabones, Orka toys (petstages brand, made of clear blue rubber- that stuff's indestructable), and deer antlers.

My personal favorites are his safety vest for walks and bike rides at night or on busy roads, and his backpack. He currently has the outward hound quick release pack, which is a great pack for a low price, but I REALLY want a Ruff Wear approach pack for him. They have more of a forward load, which is supposed to be much more comfortable, especially at higher speeds. I can't take Flash running with his current pack because it bounces too much.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mister loves anything that squeaks but also the ones that honk...like a duck or a hedgehog. He is also a typical retriever and is in love with his tennis balls. I dont shop online so cant offer any advise on that. He also likes to chew, so chicken bones or something along those lines meets that need. If its a big bone that he had to chew on he doesnt really stay there long enough to chew it....loses interest fast i guess.
But if it squeaks he will be all over it for hours. I swear every night he spends a few hours rolling and jumping and playing with all of his toys. He likes to sprawl out like all ten ad just look at them and switch from the duck to the goose to the hedgehog to the squeaky star to the tennis ball....etc etc etc.
he is a big nerd.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just bought Lacey a treat ball. Its a red dimpled ball about the size of a cantaloupe. You just pour your choice of treats in the hole and put it down. At first, she just licked the hole and tried to paw them out, then she realized if she will just roll it around a bit the treats just fall out 1 or 2 at a time. She will play with it for as long as I will let her have it. She rolls it all over the house.
Also Lacey loves the Kong tennis balls. They squeak which she loves! We take one everywhere we go :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ahh, tennis balls.. they are the only sure-fire way to keep Desmond's attention in a distracting environment. We use them at training class to keep his focus while walking through crowds. :)

I would have to say I LOVE Holee Rollers. Desmond has one, it's one of his absolute favorite toys. It's bouncy, fun, lightweight (so it doesn't break my house when I throw it lol), and easy for the dog to grip on.

Also, Kongs. Ohh, I don't even stuff his Kong and he still adores it lol. Sometimes my mom or I will put a chunk of chicken/pork or something in it while we eat dinner but mostly he just loves to chew it and play fetch with it. I've had it for over 9 months and it doesn't have a scratch on it after all the abuse!! :)

Oh and the Everlasting Treat Ball. What an excellent investment! He LOVES the treats (but we don't get them anymore, since they are too small so he'll eat them within minutes lol. A size up and he'd be going after that treat for hours), and the ball is amazing. It's bouncy, bright blue, and has three sections to put snacks in. I put rawhide disks from the "Buddy Bone" in the outer sections (they fit perfectly, even if it's a different product) and sometimes little chunks of meat in the center portion, in between two rawhide disks. Oh man, does he love that!! Again, it works awesome as a fetch toy, we don't have to stuff it very frequently.

Those are Desmond's favorite things: tennis balls, Holee Roller, Kong, and Everlasting Treat Ball. They're amazing. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
My favorite products I would say are their Champion seatbelts. They're the best. I could seriously do a commercial for them. They can step right in so they're easy to fasten, the weight falls low on the chest, so they're comfortable and if I have to slam on my breaks it doesn't hurt them, there are plastic buckles but the buckles aren't weight bearing, and my favorite part is that the big d-rings rotate from one side of their body to the other, so they can face one side or the other and still be comfortable. Also, the connector that connects them to the tether swivels, so they don't get all tangled up. I've tried the rough roadie ones, and they're ok, but these seriously beat them hands down and I feel much safer driving with them in the car.

I also love my Arco Moser clippers. They're cool, quiet, and reliable. I've used them for 5 years without having to replace them. Of course I only groom one poodle, every 2 weeks fft, and 6 wks body, so I'm not using them in a professional setting, but I really love them. I tried a few other clippers before them, and I'm hooked.

I also swear by Petzlife toothpaste. I'm scared to death for Liberty to go under for a dental, because I'm not sure how it would affect her Addisons. I'd always used the chicken flavored enzymatic toothpaste, and her breath smelled great, but she still built up tartar, and at age 5, our vet was recommending a dental. Using Petzlife has softened the tartar so that it just scrapes off on a knuckle bone, or with my fingernail, and her teeth look fabulous. The main ingredient is grapefruit seed, which has a host of other good digestive benefits as well. They don't really like the flavor, even the salmon flavored one, so I "frost" it with the chicken flavored enzymatic kind and they don't mind at all. I've recommended it to a few other friends, and they've all seen the same results I have.

I also love having fun collars. I change them every month, depending on the holidays and seasons, but I don't have a specific brand I like better than others. I've even made a few of them. I don't dress them up, or do bows, or anything like that, but I do switch their collars.

I love my veterinarian too, but that isn't exactly a product review. If anyone needs a good vet in SLC, just let me know. I have the best.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Flufflvr, i have a champion seatbelt for Riley also! I have had mine for 6-7 years. It is just wonderful. Riley is very comfortable riding with it. We took a 12 hour one-way road trip to N.C. the other year. He had his seatbelt on the whole time, and mostly slept the whole way. Riley lays down in the back of my hatchback, but when i had a car he would sit sideways in the seat (not facing front, he wont sit that way in any car). It fit him nicely there too and just went to one side. The only seatbelt i will ever use!

I forgot to add my arcos to the list too! I will not shave his face/feet myself without them. They are a dream for that! Also wonderfully quiet and light for me to shave my bi*chy cat.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Flufflvr and BPP where did you get your Champion seatbelts? Lacey could very much use a seatbelt as I take her most places. I was worried she wouldn't like it. What did you have to do to get your Spoo used to it?
Thanks for any info :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Flufflvr and BPP where did you get your Champion seatbelts? Lacey could very much use a seatbelt as I take her most places. I was worried she wouldn't like it. What did you have to do to get your Spoo used to it?
Thanks for any info :)
I got mine here. I also talked to her on the phone first.

These really didn't take any getting used to. They still sit where and how they sat before, they're just tethered now. Cosita whines in the car no matter what, but now at least she whines safely!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I got mine through the same place. Riley didnt need any adjusting either. I have always taught him to sit and not pace in the car, so he was used to staying in one part of the seat. He has also worn a harness before, so no problem there. I just put it on and clip him in. Riley doesnt like the step in part, so i do like they say and clip the first top clip. This goes over his head, and i pull his arms through teh loops and clip the last clip. No prob. takes only seconds.

I have heard that Roadies are really good quality seatbelts too. I havnt tried them. I friend told me they were more complicated/hard to get on. Also by the looks of them the dog has to sit facing front. Riley is too big to sit facing front and prefers to lean sideways against the back seat (if not laying in my car). So i went with the seatbelt i have. No freying, no stains, no problems in all our travels.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have one big roadie (standard poodle) size and one small (mini size) if anyone wants them. They're used, but still in great shape. Just PM me.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A few of Vinnie's favorite things (some have already been mentioned):

Cuz Balls - he LOVES to squeak it (it lives on top of the fridge unless we are actively playing outside).

Hollee Rollers - they are great to throw in the house and outside and tug with.

Kongs - I actually get the large dental kong as it has a larger hold at both ends (it's an hourglass shape) so it's easier to clean - I can get my fingers in both ends and load from each end. I put a couple biscuits in one (we have FOUR) each night for bedtime.

Kong Wubba - hmmm... we have two canvas one, a "wet" one and a fleece one. lots of fun to fling in the yard (they stay on top of the fridge with the Cuz! LOL)

Nylabone Puppybones (the souper size) - I don't like the hard Nylabones - they break teeth, so I get the puppybones - they are a lot softer, but still provide lots of chew time.

Any toy to retrieve, carry and field dress!! LOL. He really likes the ones that grunt and squeal.

Bullysticks - YUM!

My favorite things:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to shop at CleanRun.com and SitStay.com - great service and awesome products.

My Flip video for getting all these memories on video!

The gentle leader - a fantastic product. If your dog doesn't like the GL, try the Easy Walk harness. I have both, but have found the GL a much more effective product.

Whew... that's all I can think of for now!

OOPS - Almost forgot how much I LOVE Chris Christensen products (shampoo, conditioner, pin brush, combs, etc...) for grooming Vinnie!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts