Poodle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi, just a quick update from my original post. Unfortunately not much improvement, he still dislikes his paws being touched let alone clipped. I've tried everything, rewarding and touching paws. I can rub and stroke his paws that's about it, the groomer is having all sorts of problems clipping his paws and leaves them long. I'm a relatively inexperienced owner and worry about hurting the dog if I clipped him myself. I'm not sure what to do next and would appreciate any advice, I just don't know what to do next. Thanks

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
Hi, just a quick update from my original post. Unfortunately not much improvement, he still dislikes his paws being touched let alone clipped. I've tried everything, rewarding and touching paws. I can rub and stroke his paws that's about it, the groomer is having all sorts of problems clipping his paws and leaves them long. I'm a relatively inexperienced owner and worry about hurting the dog if I clipped him myself. I'm not sure what to do next and would appreciate any advice, I just don't know what to do next. Thanks
Every groomer I've taken Evelyn to has claimed they can't shave his feet or it was hard and he fought them. I eventually tried if myself and had no issues. Any time he became "too wiggly" I removed the blades and touched them to my arm and found them to be hot. I think the groomers were allowing their blades to become hotter than he was comfortable with and not adjusting. I do his feet now. I can't get him as close as an experienced groomer can, but he no longer ends up with nicks and red unhappy looking spots on his paws.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
550 Posts
Could you describe a little bit of what he does? Does he pull? bite? Scream?
Former groomer and Ill tell you, sometimes dogs just don’t get used to it. As long as they don’t bite through a muzzle or look like they’re stressing themselves into a medical emergency, I just had one person hold the dog and then used a small cordless clipper and got it done.
If they will stress themselves into medical distress then I would ask for a prescription from the vet for something to sedate them during the groom like Ace.

I’ve done the nails on plenty a pit or rott that wanted to kill me, and clean feet on lots of angry toy something or anothers. You may want to try to seek an older, more experienced groomer, you’ll know them when you see them- they’re shop will be low key and full of poodles walking around out of cages lol- they’ll know what to do with a wiggle butt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He will bite, he just hates his paws, both paws being touched. He will mouth and then leads to biting. I find that if I stroke and reward at the same time, he will let me touch them. If he stresses too much I immediately stop touching them. I have been trying to get him used to the sound and vibration of clippers, I bought a pair during lockdown, although I haven't used them - I do stroke them down his legs and reward.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I don’t think Peggy will ever enjoy having her front paws groomed. It definitely got worse when our groomer took a medical leave of absence. I’m sure my home grooming clumsiness was partially to blame, but two painful experiences with a new groomer made a lasting impression. Lesson learned.

When our original groomer returned after a year, Peggy was as well behaved for her as ever......except when it came to her front feet. But our groomer is confident it will get better with a return to regular appointments.

Have you considered trying another groomer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I do have confidence in this groomer, we have recently moved and changed groomer about 4 months ago, I wasn't happy with the way he was clipped. He is aged 2 and so far, had 3 different groomers, the first for about 18 months, then we moved and had a new one. The latest is the third, she is very kind and I do trust her.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Since you like and trust your new groomer, I would be asking her for advice. Ours would be suggesting that you treat while vibrating clippers or a toothbrush against his paw....but only for a few seconds at a time. And only once a day or less.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Something else that I saw on the forum somewhere was to only groom in a specific place (eg a grooming table) so that any other time your dog will be confident that he/she wont get brushed, clipped, etc out of the blue.

I only ever brush, clip or scissor Rusty on the grooming table now and he mouths much less than he used to when I go to stroke him. He is seven months old.

·
Registered
Pepper
1 Posts
I’ve always done the groom on my minis but, despite trying to get him used to it from an early age, my previous poodle was always very protective of his front paws. The rest he was absolutely fine with. Because we walk through leaves and mud, I like to keep the paws trimmed to a #10. My technique involved leaving them to the last during the groom when he was a bit bored with the whole business and see how much I could get done while he was standing then lift him by his chest with my forearm, grab his foreleg with my hand and dive in to finish. Any, what we call “endy bits”, were finished at another time with small scissors while he was sitting on my lap. A quick shot over the pads with a #10 got the poking out hair but I found between the pads was best done with the scissors when he was asleep on my lap. Nothing like those elegant demonstrations by professional groomers on YouTube with dogs that look like they’ve had a fine time with a bottle of Valium.
As you can imagine nail trimming was a mission. Usually done one at a time over a few days while asleep on my lap. I used a wonderful pair of Fujiya 110mm Precision Side Cutters purchased from my local electronics hobby store. They are a bit expensive but beautifully made, outrageously sharp and precise and give a lovely quick clean cut. To be honest it’s not just his nails I use them on but they are my go-to nipper/clipper/cutter for all kinds of things, even my electronics projects. He hated the feel of the Dremel but I found that his usual daily walk with about 2 km on asphalt kept his nail ends smooth and reasonably under control. It was possible to use a coarse human emery board to smooth the ends but a couple of walks seems to totally sort that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A #40 blade is a blade used for surgery it will clip bald. For feet use a #15 on the bottom and between toes a #10 on the top if you have a white poodle or one with sensitive skin. Same with face, use a #15 with a light touch or a #10 for a dog with sensitive skin. It depends on your dog but I'd never use a #40

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A #40 blade is a blade used for surgery it will clip bald. For feet use a #15 on the bottom and between toes a #10 on the top if you have a white poodle or one with sensitive skin. Same with face, use a #15 with a light touch or a #10 for a dog with sensitive skin. It depends on your dog but I'd never use a #40
Actually most professional poodle handlers as well as people who show their own poodles use a 40 on face and feet IF the skin can tolerate it. I usually use a 15 on the belly and underside of the tail and a 30 on top of the tail. Most of the poodles I have had (over 50 of them including puppies) were black and tolerated a 40 blade just fine. I doubt anyone clips faces and feet on show poodles with anything coarser than a 30. Even though I no longer show Zoe, I still clip her closely. In the photo below, her face was clearly done with a 40 blade.
Liquid Fluid Water dog Bottle Cosmetics

·
Registered
86 Posts
Garjo, have you tried a lick mat or something like it? That’s how we got better (and I say better not perfect) at toenail clipping. Alternatives to lick mat are peanut butter on a grooming arm, on wall, or on a spoon someone is holding. We used peanut butter spoon to get through a lot of tough things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually most professional poodle handlers as well as people who show their own poodles use a 40 on face and feet IF the skin can tolerate it. I usually use a 15 on the belly and underside of the tail and a 30 on top of the tail. Most of the poodles I have had (over 50 of them including puppies) were black and tolerated a 40 blade just fine. I doubt anyone clips faces and feet on show poodles with anything coarser than a 30. Even though I no longer show Zoe, I still clip her closely. In the photo below, her face was clearly done with a 40 blade.
View attachment 484546
It certainly leaves a beautiful finish but the dogs I've groomed have had sensitive skin and light coloured fur and couldn't tolerate it. My experience anyways, didn't mean to offend or say you were wrong its something I wouldn't risk doing.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts