Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently started to give Basil a probiotic and multivitamin chew with her meal. I have no idea what i'm supposed to be looking for but I knew she needed it after having a few too many days of constant squirty poopy. Now Poops are firm, healthy, and I no longer hear the splatter or smell of poop hitting my floor at 12:00am and 2:00am (yay). I'm sure some probiotics are better than others. I would love to put this decision in the "this is what other poodle parents use, so I'm going to just copy what they do."

What do you give your dog?' Is there a probiotic that is most used or recommended?

This is the probiotic that I grabbed on Amazon;
Amazon link
Food Dog Dog supply Product Ingredient

Dog Font Carnivore Line Dog breed

The picture tax --

Helping dad hem some pants-
Table Comfort Interior design Wood Floor

Watching the ferries on Friday morning
Water Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

Fresh haircut
Head Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

Rolling around in the neighbors soft grass
Dog Plant Green Dog breed Carnivore

Registered
Oh it is so good to see Basil pix! She looks great and I love that purple sweater with the high collar 馃槏

I鈥檝e been using this for Beau, he used to be much less regular, so I think it鈥檚 working. The one you got looks less $$ so I might switch to that!

Amazon.
Honest Paws Probiotics Dog Prebiotic - Dog Probiotic Powder with Prebiotic for Healthy Gut - Digestive and Immune Support - Digestive Enzymes with Chicken Flavor (30 Sticks)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091FV89YB/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_MJGPPQWGRPQDXZ1KQGVW
Product Sleeve Font Waist Linens

Attachments

Administrator
Peggy鈥檚 daily Glandex chews contain probiotics, but we will also give her FortiFlora when she鈥檚 recovering from a bout of tummy upset, or when her poops are looking a little softer than unusual.

Registered
Vertebrate Drinkware Product Mammal Carnivore
We have had good luck with Bene-Bac Plus. Our last dog, a Polish Lowland Sheepdog, had terrible food allergies and frequent stomach upsets, so we used this on both an emergency and maintenance basis and I think it really helped keep things under control. Charlie seems to have a cast-iron stomach, but we've also used it on the few occasions where he's had a problem. Vertebrate Drinkware Product Mammal Carnivore

Registered
Basil is such a stunner! what a sweet girl all curled up being helpful to her humans. i second the recommendation for FortiFlora when the poop is particularly liquid-y or he's got an upset tummy from eating something he shouldn't have. for day-to-day i'd probably go with something like unsweetened yogurt or kefir on a lickimat.

Premium Member
I have been using a pre- and pro-biotic for Poppy for some time - her digestion is easily upset because of her liver disease and I suspect she suffers from SIBO. A good probiotic does seem to help. For a long time I used Protexin Pro-Kolin Enterogenic sachets as they are recommended for long term use for chronic diarrhoea which hers seemed to be, but they were recently unavailable for several months and I switched to Protexin Bio-Premium, which I am pleased with. Cheaper, especially the large size tub, easier to use, and seems to be even more effective: Protexin Bio-Premium for Dogs and Cats

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I'm glad I asked. It sounds like there's a few individual options, and then there's FortiFlora. It's kind of expensive lol. Poodles arent cheap馃槶.

Basils comfortable with what we are using now so I'm not sure we'll need to change yet. Digestion health is important, so we'll give the FortiFlora a shot after our current supply runs out to see if the difference is worth the price.

Registered
Okay, so I'm glad I asked. It sounds like there's a few individual options, and then there's FortiFlora. It's kind of expensive lol. Poodles arent cheap馃槶.

Basils comfortable with what we are using now so I'm not sure we'll need to change yet. Digestion health is important, so we'll give the FortiFlora a shot after our current supply runs out to see if the difference is worth the price.
It is a bit more (about $1/day vs what you are currently using at $0.60/day if I'm correct).
I'm fairly sure the powder formula is less expensive than the tablet version.
One option to consider, is to have the FortiFlora on hand for any episodes, but using the cheaper version for maintenance.
Alternatively, I know someone who uses a half dose for maintenance and finds that makes a difference.

Registered

They are kind of expensive. I鈥檓 not sure what others do but I just give Beau a serving every 3 days. He doesn鈥檛 have any known issues but I think he is more regular with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts