Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He had some diarreah on the carpet last night, then in his cage twice overnight and puking. He just puked again also. I know you can give him pumpkin for diarreah but he will probably just throw it up. Any advice to help my little boy feel better?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Poor little guy! I would probably fast him before trying him on pumpkin or anything else. Just let him have water until tonight at the earliest, or even tomorrow morning. Then try him on pumpkin or on something like rice which is also easy on the stomach. If his symptoms don't get better in the meantime I would take him to the vet.

Here's when to take a vomiting dog to the vet:

When to Take Your Vomiting Dog to the Vet

If your dog suffers from chronic vomiting, or if she shows any of the following symptoms, take her to the veterinarian right away:

If the dog is vomiting more than 2-4 times a day.
If the vomit is foamy.
If there is blood in the vomitus.
If the vomitus is foul-smelling.
If the dog is weak or dehydrated*.
If the dog's belly is bloated.
If the dog is restless or panting, or seems to be in pain.
If the dog has a fever.

*To check for dehydration, pick up some skin on the back of your dog and let it drop. If the skin does not return to its original position immediately, it means dehydration.

From here: Vomiting in Dogs | Causes and Treatment of Dog Vomiting

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The little guys especially can get dehydrated pretty quickly, especially if they can't even hold down water. The vet can give an injection of something for nausea and subcutaneous fluids, if necessary. Teddy was throwing up (like 6 times in a couple of hours, including all water he drank) a couple of weekends ago, so I took him in just to be safe. He sometimes finds things in the yard that he shouldn't have before I can stop him. I suspect he ate something that had a herbicide or a pesticide on it. The x-rays were negative for obstruction or foreign bodies in the stomach.

Maybe I overreacted, but after you watch "My Dog Ate What??" a couple of times, you'll be paranoid too.

Good luck - I hope little Prince feels better soon. :(

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Honestly, for such a tiny dog, with three episodes of diarrhea and two episodes of vomiting in 24 hours, I'd take him to the vet today just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yeah, I agree with PaddleAddict. I would take him in as soon as possible. Call your vet and see if they can squeeze you in during normal hours today so you can avoid having to pay emergency rates after hours.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think hes actually feeling better now. My dads the one that cleaned it up overnight. He probably just had to go and was holding it in because it wasnt alot each time. And the reason he puked again this morning was because my dad gave him a jerky treat! Bad idea! But hes been good since then. Just must of ate something that his stomach did not like!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts