Poodle Forum banner

Price of miniature puddle?

23K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Evik 
#1 · (Edited)
Price of miniature poodle?

I never had a poodle before so I have no idea for how much they sell. I found a breeder I like, she looks like a reputable breeder. She is asking $1800 for a pet quality (spay/neuter in 6 months) and $2500 for show quality of miniature poodle. Can you tell in 8 weeks if the puppy is show quality? The Sire is a champion, the Dam isn't. I just wanted to hear your opinion :)

PS I'm sorry for the tipo, English is not my first language

#5 ·
$1800-$2500 and the dam isn't even finished? Wow that is high. You must be on either coast of the US. Is this puppy from a really famous line? Is it once again one of the "rare" colors?

I know a breeder who asks $2500 for her silver Minis but she breeds some of the top Minis in the country (e.g. her boy took BOV at Eukanuba and her girl was in the top 5 nationally).

I also don't get the whole show vs. pet pricing thing. I don't like the idea that if you pony up extra cash then suddenly your puppy must be show/breeding quality.

Everyone I know sells pet and show quality puppies for the same price. Heck, with how much work it takes to show a poodle, I think breeders should offer a discount on show puppies. Where the difference comes is usually on the backside. Most breeders I know ask for a puppy/puppies back once a show dog finishes.

#7 ·
$1800-$2500 and the dam isn't even finished? Wow that is high. You must be on either coast of the US. Is this puppy from a really famous line? Is it once again one of the "rare" colors?

I know a breeder who asks $2500 for her silver Minis but she breeds some of the top Minis in the country (e.g. her boy took BOV at Eukanuba and her girl was in the top 5 nationally).

I also don't get the whole show vs. pet pricing thing. I don't like the idea that if you pony up extra cash then suddenly your puppy must be show/breeding quality.

Everyone I know sells pet and show quality puppies for the same price. Heck, with how much work it takes to show a poodle, I think breeders should offer a discount on show puppies. Where the difference comes is usually on the backside. Most breeders I know ask for a puppy/puppies back once a show dog finishes.
Yes because the investment and time for a show puppy is extreme! I'm going to pose this comment to my breeder and see what she says to me.:biggrin:

#11 · (Edited)
I'm also new to forums, so I don't know well how to respond properly, hope you will understand.

It is from a line recommended here, but the original breeder is too far, so I picked the closer one, but now I'm not sure :nono: (did I mention I love your smiles)

I totally agree. My step daughter lives in Europe and is showing(successfully) her Newfoundland. She received 1/3 of the puppy price back from her breeder when her dog got first champion. She had in contract two years to do it. She was shocked when I told her here is the opposite. But what do I know. That is why I'm here, trying to learn to not to make a mistake and learn more about poodles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.