Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a post about feeding carrots in a Kong. It occurred to me that before feeding a dog whole carrots, banana sections, etc., it seems prudent to to cut them lengthwise first, in smaller pieces, to prevent its airway from being blocked, resulting in accidental choking. We did the same for our human children when they were younger. I wondered if there's also a type of "Heimlich" maneuver for dogs and found this from 2016 (better to ask your vet if it's all good info): How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver on Your Dog in 9 Steps | TruDog®

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
There’s some contradictory information out there on this topic. This AKC article, for example, mentions something I did for Peggy as a puppy:

“Large frozen carrots make cheap and edible chew toys.”

But then goes on to say this in the next paragraph:

“While carrots are generally safe, it is important to cut whole carrots and even carrot sticks into bite-size chunks before feeding them to your dog.”

Confusing!

Covid makes this sort of thing hard, but it would be nice if our veterinary clinic offered a first aid course. Anyone ever take one?

I might sign up for this:

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,809 Posts
I took the Red Cross course in person years ago and was really glad I did. It's quite good. I've never needed to use any of the information, however, and am not sure how much I'd remember. Perhaps I should take a refresher...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There’s some contradictory information out there on this topic. This AKC article, for example, mentions something I did for Peggy as a puppy:

“Large frozen carrots make cheap and edible chew toys.”

But then goes on to say this in the next paragraph:

“While carrots are generally safe, it is important to cut whole carrots and even carrot sticks into bite-size chunks before feeding them to your dog.”

Confusing!

Covid makes this sort of thing hard, but it would be nice if our veterinary clinic offered a first aid course. Anyone ever take one?

I might sign up for this:

Whoever wrote the article about carrots for the AKC seems to have overlooked the contradiction. If dogs can indeed choke from eating whole carrots, then they must be cut up! Thanks for the reference to the Red Cross course. I had no idea that they offered courses for pet owners.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Heimlich maneuver is a good thing to know, I have used it. As with any chew you should watch you dog when they are eating chews, I had two choking incident involving chews. I think the intent is to jam the frozen carrot into the Kong and the Kong is then used as a holder. I feed small pices of fruit and veggies because I have tiny dogs, I also use small vise grips to hold their chews.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
308 Posts
Heimlich maneuver is a good thing to know, I have used it. As with any chew you should watch you dog when they are eating chews, I had two choking incident involving chews. I think the intent is to jam the frozen carrot into the Kong and the Kong is then used as a holder. I feed small pices of fruit and veggies because I have tiny dogs, I also use small vise grips to hold their chews.
Yes! I had to save Killa (My min pin) around Thanksgiving with the heimlich. She gobbled up a big piece of very dry turkey, that fell to the floor, and swallowed it whole. She started gagging but producing no sound and was beginning to fall over. I picked her up, held her upside down and performed the heimlich which cleared everything in about 20 seconds. She was sooo relieved. Such a silly girl, made it 16 years and was about to get taken out by being a little turkey goblin.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My Spoo has no problems with bananas, but he chokes on carrots, and now won't eat them at all. Maybe I need to cook them for him?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
My boys love cooked carrots but not so interested in raw. They do love the spine of a romaine lettuce leaf tho. If it isn't mushy like a cooked carrot, I tend to give only bite size bits to my mpoos.

Reactions: Carla

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe the idea is that if/while it's frozen it won't break into large pieces but can be gnawed down more gradually. I'd say it depends on how strong of a chewer you have and how likely they are to break it into large chunks.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Here's my $0.02. I get that carrots are cheap, healthy, and cost effective. But, is it worth having to worry about?

If you omit raw frozen carrots all together, then you can remove the worry from your mind.

It's like you have to konmari it, if it doesn't being you joy then thank it and purge it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's my $0.02. I get that carrots are cheap, healthy, and cost effective. But, is it worth having to worry about?

If you omit raw frozen carrots all together, then you can remove the worry from your mind.

It's like you have to konmari it, if it doesn't being you joy then thank it and purge it.
When my puppy-to-be is old enough, maybe I'll try cooked carrots. Are carrots considered a treat or as a nutritional/digestive supplement? I wonder if dogs would prefer them warm or cold?

·
Registered
849 Posts
When my puppy-to-be is old enough, maybe I'll try cooked carrots. Are carrots considered a treat or as a nutritional/digestive supplement? I wonder if dogs would prefer them warm or cold?
Great questions, I'm no textbook perfect pet parent (not do I want to be). So, I just make a judgement call. I use carrots like a food treat added to the main meal. If they are not toxic to eat then i apply the "okay in moderation" and "variety is the spice of life" mindset.

I think the likability varies from dog to dog. I'm sure some will go for both raw and cooked, while others will only eat cooked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I needed a reminder on the Heimlich maneuver for dogs, so here is one tutorial done by a veterinarian :

I thought holding dogs upside down by the legs was a way to do it but he doesn’t talk about it.

Here this other vet does it upside down :

Thanks for posting

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
I needed a reminder on the Heimlich maneuver for dogs, so here is one tutorial done by a veterinarian :

I thought holding dogs upside down by the legs was a way to do it but he doesn’t talk about it.

Here this other vet does it upside down :

I imagine the size of the dog has something to do with your method. Pogo at his peak weight of 70 pounds would have been too big for me to hold upside down.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yikes! Poor Jessie for having to be the guinea pig and not understand why she had to be submitted to that stuff!
Thanks for the examples of how to do the Heimlich maneuver Dechi!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts