Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for an extra long walk in a part of town I usually avoid. Now I am at an emergency vet clinic with a 2" laceration on Annie's foot, waiting for stitches. She is fine, not even limping but bled like crazy.

Vet says 2 weeks of not running and jumping, god help us
IMG_20200202_225523.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks jojogal, streetcar! Still waiting for her to be finished, they had to sedate for stitches. Then we can finally go home and sleep.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Oh no, how horrible. I hope it heals quickly with no complications. Poor baby and poor you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Annie's feeling fine... The vet said during discharge, because of the location of the cut (jagged cut to the pad and ankle above it), not just no running/jumping, but also no walks except for potty breaks. We are both going to lose our minds. I guess this is an excuse to finally start teaching more nose work.

Annie's very confused by the whole "no walk" concept. She's trying to be on her best behaviour and do a nice looseleash heel on our potty breaks, to prompt me to start walking. Last night, while still drugged up, she attempted to convince me we needed to chase a skunk. This morning, she was determined to chase squirrels.

Poor thing also is unimpressed with the exercise pen concept - I relented and left her with her exercise pen with her bed and the hallway, blocked off from the stairs, other rooms, and jumping on my bed. I solved her seperation anxiety by letting her have the run of the house rather than be crated after she kept trying to bust out, and it's backfiring on me now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The clinic said to remove her bandages after 2 days. I removed them last night. It looks like she has 5 sutures (hard to tell in poor light and with the way they were sewn). The vet clinic said to just take it off, but since the wound is not closed, my house is dirty, and it is winter and gross outside, and I don't trust her not to lick them, I loosely rebandaged with a nonadherent pad, a roll of gauze, and a roll of vet wrap. I'll remove again tomorrow evening to check how it's healing/replace bandaging. I'm also still using the improvised bootie they gave me for outside.

This is yet another reason why having a dog used to being calm on a grooming table is wonderful! I stuck her on the table, and she stood like a rock while I messed with her and rebandaged when I decided I hadn't bandaged loosely enough. She did the same thing at the vets- calm and still the moment she got on the exam table.

I think she must not be feeling well despite antibiotics and metacam - she's not been driving me nuts. She was whining and complaining yesterday, so I moved to get up to take her up. Nope - she was just upset because I was blocking her access to lying on the bed with me!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rebandaged again last night. It's healing well, so far no signs of infection. It's definitely still bleeding a bit. I still think the pink bandage she got first was the prettiest (Pink really is her colour lol).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts