Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Courtney and I have a 17 year old poodle named Pretty Girl (or PG, Peeg, Weezy, Reese...just to name a few nicknames!) She found me 16 years ago and we have been inseparable ever since. Pretty Girl was my first poodle and I am completely smitten with the breed because of her.

While she is generally in good spirits, I know she is getting tired and I will have to say goodbye at some point. This makes me immensely sad to think about - she has been by my side through my college years, travels all over the country, the death of my mom...I am going to miss her more than I can express.

I had her DNA tested earlier this year using Embark and she is definitely 100% poodle - as a matter of fact, some of her relatives are show dogs! Pretty Girl appears to be an "oversize toy" at around 13" tall and, at her prime, weighing about 12 pounds. She is very slender and graceful. and used to be extremely athletic and adventurous.

I thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows of reputable breeders who have oversize toys around Pretty Girl's size and stature. Preferably black. Thank you so much for reading!

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Welcome, it's nice to here about an elder poodle doing very well.
As for over sized toys from reputable breeder are still going to be smaller than Pretty Girl, my Leonard was a show prospect that out sized he is around 10 3/4" tall and 6 1/4 pounds. There is one reputable breeder I have been watching that did have an outsized toy close to Pretty size, but most are in the 7-8 pound range if out sized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, it's nice to here about an elder poodle doing very well.
As for over sized toys from reputable breeder are still going to be smaller than Pretty Girl, my Leonard was a show prospect that out sized he is around 10 3/4" tall and 6 1/4 pounds. There is one reputable breeder I have been watching that did have an outsized toy close to Pretty size, but most are in the 7-8 pound range if out sized.
Hi Twyla,

Thanks so much for the info. How old is Leonard? Pretty Girl is deaf and almost blind but still loves to eat and we have adapted to her walks being mainly in her dog stroller I got for her - she loves being outside! Perhaps I ought to expand my search and ask about reputable breeders who have small miniatures. The miniatures I see pictures of seem so much stockier than Pretty Girl though! I wish I knew more about her background, but she was found on the side of the road in Norfolk, VA completely emaciated and in a very sad place...I do not know her story but given that she had to learn how to play and would yelp if hands were raised too quickly for a while, I think she was badly mistreated! I was shocked when I got the Embark results back and saw show dogs in her lineage.

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Hi Twyla,

Thanks so much for the info. How old is Leonard? Pretty Girl is deaf and almost blind but still loves to eat and we have adapted to her walks being mainly in her dog stroller I got for her - she loves being outside! Perhaps I ought to expand my search and ask about reputable breeders who have small miniatures. The miniatures I see pictures of seem so much stockier than Pretty Girl though! I wish I knew more about her background, but she was found on the side of the road in Norfolk, VA completely emaciated and in a very sad place...I do not know her story but given that she had to learn how to play and would yelp if hands were raised too quickly for a while, I think she was badly mistreated! I was shocked when I got the Embark results back and saw show dogs in her lineage.
Lenny is 2 1/2
Lenny.jpg

Lenny with his sissies ( not related) Beatrice 6 and Pia 5
gang.jpg

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Welcome! Your girl sounds very special and she was so lucky to have you come into her life. As Twyla says, it is hard to find an oversized toy that is that big, but that is about average size for a miniature poodle. Do you have a reason for preferring a toy over a mini if that's the size you're looking for?

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Just wanted to popin and welcome you. Thanks for rescuing he. Sounds like you have had wonderful years together.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Pretty Girl!

What a wonderful life she ended up with, having you to look out for her :).

If you give us an idea of what part of the country you're in and how far you'd be willing to travel, we'd probably be able to suggest some toy and mini breeders for you to look at.

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
Welcome to PF and thank you for sharing your story about PG. It sounds like you are both lucky to have found each other.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you would probably have more luck with a small mini. My girl, Ana, is 12 inches at the shoulder and weighs about 10 lbs. Small miniatures have more bone and are less fragile than the oversize toys. I'm kind of a klutz so I've always been afraid I would break a toy. No worries with a small mini.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts