Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jessie likes staying on the sidewalks during our walks and generally prefers to walk on paved surfaces vs grass. I thought it was due to our sharp St Augustine grass in our neighborhood, but it's true even with softer grass varieties when we're on walks elsewhere. She loves when we go on hikes, and doesn't hesitate walking through puddles so I don't think it's her prefering to have clean and dry feet. Anyone else have a poodle that prefers paved surfaces? She's my first dog, but this surprises me.

In our neighborhood dog area Jessie happily does 2 laps at full speed off leash and then runs to the gate and asks to be leashed back up for more sidewalk time ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Smart dog. During a trip to Florida, I thought nothing of taking Ricky for a walk on the street, and he loved sniffing in the brush alongside the sidewalk. Suddenly, he was losing weight, violently vomiting, and had a life threatening parasite diagnosed only by his vet in NY. Not before undergoing horrid treatments from a local ER hospital.

My poor deceased Ricky. Any future dog will benefit from the horrors visited upon him by The Butcher of Brewster and the incompetent ER hospital in Florida.

Florida? I would keep any future dog on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Smart dog. During a trip to Florida, I thought nothing of taking Ricky for a walk on the street, and he loved sniffing in the brush alongside the sidewalk. Suddenly, he was losing weight, violently vomiting, and had a life threatening parasite diagnosed only by his vet in NY. Not before undergoing horrid treatments from a local ER hospital.

My poor deceased Ricky. Any future dog will benefit from the horrors visited upon him by The Butcher of Brewster and the incompetent ER hospital in Florida.

Florida? I would keep any future dog on the sidewalk.
Poor Ricky! Is that what he died from? What kind of parasite was it, do you recall? That sounds just awful. What did the ER hospital do? Or not do for Ricky? It's something to think about for sure when you move to or visit an unfamiliar place...to find out what might be dangerous there.

There are pluses and minuses I guess to pavement and grass or brush, depending on a lot of things. Maybe Jessie had some kind of pain caused at one time going through grass or brush, like a sting or bite from an insect or a poky piece of a plant. Or maybe he likes the easy navigation of a smooth sidewalk, not having to dodge things. Of course, if it's too hot, that's not good how the pavement gets...like it can get in hot climates. My dogs seem to like any surface equally well...as long as they are having an adventure. lol.

Reactions: joedesimone

·
Registered
94 Posts
Poor Ricky! Is that what he died from? What kind of parasite was it, do you recall? That sounds just awful. What did the ER hospital do? Or not do for Ricky? It's something to think about for sure when you move to or visit an unfamiliar place...to find out what might be dangerous there.

There are pluses and minuses I guess to pavement and grass or brush, depending on a lot of things. Maybe Jessie had some kind of pain caused at one time going through grass or brush, like a sting or bite from an insect or a poky piece of a plant. Or maybe he likes the easy navigation of a smooth sidewalk, not having to dodge things. Of course, if it's too hot, that's not good how the pavement gets...like it can get in hot climates. My dogs seem to like any surface equally well...as long as they are having an adventure. lol.
No, he died from a failed operation that never should have been performed by Dr. Berg at Guardian Veterinary in Brewster NY. He suffered for three weeks, and I was charged $18K and had to euthanize him. Do NOT go to that hospital.

I don't remember the parasite, but I can find out the name. It was an uncommon one, and no one, not the vet or the ER hospital, could identify it as the cause of his problem. His vet in NY finally came up with the idea of a parasite and it was quickly found via a blood test. In the meanwhile, the inept ER hospital injected him with fluids and to add to my guilt, I sat by while I listened to him whimpering.

I can't bear it, so I am getting a new dog and hopefully, I have learned my lesson, and hopefully Ricky forgives me.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Well, I won't go to NY for a vet. I live on the west coast. lol. But yeah...for anyone else...steer clear, huh. $18,000!!!! OMG! And it wasn't needed. I think I'd challenge that. I'd probably put a dog down before I'd dish out that much money. You were very dedicated. And I don't quite get why you feel so guilty. You weren't at fault. You did the best you could and that's all anyone can do. The vet probably too...probably thought he was doing the right thing. Dogs don't hold grudges and don't even think that way so you're in the clear. Poor fella. I'm really sorry you both had such a miserable time. How very sad a time that was.

Now, you can move forward since you can't change the past. A new dog will brighten your days and like all of us, we do the best we can but sometimes ship happens.

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I won't go to NY for a vet. I live on the west coast. lol. But yeah...for anyone else...steer clear, huh. $18,000!!!! OMG! And it wasn't needed. I think I'd challenge that. I'd probably put a dog down before I'd dish out that much money. You were very dedicated. And I don't quite get why you feel so guilty. You weren't at fault. You did the best you could and that's all anyone can do. The vet probably too...probably thought he was doing the right thing. Dogs don't hold grudges and don't even think that way so you're in the clear. Poor fella. I'm really sorry you both had such a miserable time. How very sad a time that was.

Now, you can move forward since you can't change the past. A new dog will brighten your days and like all of us, we do the best we can but sometimes ship happens.
Thank you, Poodlebeguiled.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Zesti, my tpoo didn’t like to walk on grass either. We’re in the northeast and our grass is soft. She was a summer puppy who was potty trained in the summer on grass. She loved playing with the kids in the backyard. I never understood her preference. She would walk on the side walk or driveway and when she had to potty she would take two steps onto grass, do her business then back to a hard surface.

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
joedesimone..if I were a dog...I'd want to be yours.
I am so happy you will be getting a new pup to bond with and to enjoy each day. I know Ricky would be happy. You gave him the best life. And never feel guilty...you have nothing but done the best for him. You had no choice but to trust your vet. I am looking forward to hear all about this new lil pup and to see pictures. Have you chosen a name yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts