Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s really interesting watching my two poodle boys and how they walk. Bobby, for the most part, is not a prancer. He will prance when he’s excited sometimes or if he has proudly stolen something🤣 but in general he doesn’t prance.

Joey, on the other hand, is totally Mr. Prance! Prancing proudly is his normal gait. I was in Home Depot the other day with him and one of workers said, “Wow! Look at that prance!” Joey has a very, noticeable, high bouncy prance. He basically prances through life. How about all of the other poodles out there! Who’s a prancer? 😁

·
Registered
Tyler
272 Posts
You'll be surprised (😉) to learn Ty is also Mister Prancy Pants, especially in the morning as I'm trying to do my PT exercises on the floor and he's bringing me toy offerings to get me to play with him. In between lots of back and forth galloping, he does this little goose-step thing when he's especially proud of a retrieve. I call it his Little Twittler walk. 🤣

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Phoebe prances so much that when she walks normally, it looks weird, for some reason her non-prancing reminds me of a lion cub.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The breed standard says:
"Gait: A straightforward trot with light springy action and strong hindquarters drive. Head and
tail carried up. Sound effortless movement is essential."

The "light springy action" is the poodle prance! Poodles should never, ever move like German shepherds (long low smooth) or like terriers (stiff-legged but animated). Their movement is unique to the breed. Unfortunately, if you go to a dog show, many poodle handlers race their dogs around the ring - that destroys the light springy action. I judged poodles for quite a few years - and I cannot tell you how often I had to tell handlers to slow down!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Winnie prances too but she is also well known by all to be a dancing bear. She often bounces about on her back legs waving her front paws in front of whoever she is trying to impress. I sometimes think I should have called her Tigger instead of Winnie the Poo.
I sing this to Annie sometimes which I think answers the 'does your dog prance?' question.

The wonderful thing about poodles
And poodles are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs!
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about poodles is
You're my ONLY one

When Annie was in a Miami, my mother told people she was wearing socks to hide her springs :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts