Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok teams, lay it on me. How hard do I train Noelle this week? We're showing in both Rally and Obedience next weekend. Today during practice, Noelle came in for a recall and stood at my feet. Second recall, she laid down. Third recall was splendid. Noelle is getting creative. I don't want to risk her getting bored.

I have classes available to me Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I have a run through at the trial site on Friday. And I trial Saturday and Sunday. Noelle needs to be ready, but not exhausted. How can I strike that balance with practice? Go to all classes? Skip most classes and let her percolate, then go on Thursday to our favorite classes?

How would you go about it?

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Most people (me included) would go easy this week. I would do one class and the Friday match only. Play games that incorporate rally and obedience activities at home but keep it light.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what my instincts told me to do, too. I want her to pop out of her crate thinking, oh wow, this fun thing again. Not, here we go again. Ok, skipping it until Thursday. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I would go light too - take a class earlier in the week. The run through at the location of the trial is good to go to, get both you and Noelle used to the building where it's being held. I would find out ahead of time if you can bring your chair and crate and set it up before the trial so you don't have to be lugging stuff in. Makes for more relaxed entrance the day of the trial.

I generally pick several exercises to work on leading up to the trial - usually things that are the newest or trickiest. Then we doodle around in heel position - sort of random stuff. If your dog can heel with odd patterns they will heel in the official rally exercises.

We have a WCRL Rally this weekend. We had our fun proofing class Monday morning and a simpler version in the evening where we worked on the broad jump for open and a very limited rally signs - and my favorite.......figure 8 around bowls of food. This was tricky this week because they had peanut butter treats that smelled heavenly and no cover on the food bowls..... and Babykins is allergic to peanuts (legumes) so heeling figure 8 was a particularly good challenge for us last night, but it was the only thing that was challenging rally wise. Several dogs ate the food - oops. In competition there is a cover over the bowl.

We have an obedience class Thursday and I go an hour early and have time to work in the space - I'll probably work on obedience open exercises - jumping, dumbbell etc. things that are fun for her. I'm also working on ring choreography.

At home I'm going through the exercises and only picking the few that are tricky. We usually only do one.

Like you, I don't want to bore my dog to death before the competition. I am going over all the exercises, making certain I understand the requirements.

I am reviewing the rules. I have a rally app on my phone that I'm comfortable using and a deck of rally cards. I have a link to the rule book on my phone although I have thought about buying the book. I find in my panic mode that when I get to the competition I forget or confuse some signs so I want easy references I can look at to be certain I know what we have to perform before we step into the ring.

Good luck - I know you and Noelle will be spectacular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.