Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have found a breeder who has miniature poodles. The dad is a carrier for PRA, mom is clear of both PRA/PRCD. We are just looking for a family pet, but want to be knowledgeable about risks.
Would you still buy this puppy or would you pass? Thank you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe that link from Fenris refers to a different type of PRA (it's PRA-A whereas poodles are affected by PRA-prcd). Preventing Inherited Progressive Retinal Atrophy in Poodles
Unlike PRA-A, the prcd version is recessive and no pups would show symptoms. It's considered a safe breeding, although it might not be a desirable choice if you were looking for a breeding dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, you are correct. It is PRA-prcd. The dam’s genetic testing is fully clear and this is the only issue the sire has. I am newer to the poodle world and while I have been researching, it seems there are conflicting opinions on whether this is a “deal breaker”. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I agree with Starvt and Fenris. However, I'm concerned that this breeder is breeding a dog who is a carrier and would look very closely at this breeding program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! That is a concern of mine, too. Does anybody have a recommendation for a miniature breeder in California? I am located more on the outskirts of the Bay Area, but I am willing to travel. Most of my friend have poodle mixes, but I am looking for a purebred poodle.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Clarion comes to mind as a well regarded California breeder.

I have mixed feelings about breeding from a dog with a PRA positive test. On the one hand, you don't want to perpetuate bad genes. On the other, you don't want to toss out genetic diversity and good traits in your effort to weed out the bad. No dog is perfect. I guess in this situation I would want to know just what makes this stud worthy of being bred.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clarion comes to mind as a well regarded California breeder.

I have mixed feelings about breeding from a dog with a PRA positive test. On the one hand, you don't want to perpetuate bad genes. On the other, you don't want to toss out genetic diversity and good traits in your effort to weed out the bad. No dog is perfect. I guess in this situation I would want to know just what makes this stud worthy of being bred.
That is a good question, and good points! I appreciate the response. I have reached out to both suggested breeders as well. While I’m not trying to breed or show the dog, and it doesn’t have to be perfect, I just want to make sure that I am checking for anything genetically that might be an issue later on.
As I said, this is my first experience with poodles so I’m trying to learn all I can. Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts