Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all. Potty training is going pretty well with Ollie. Sometimes he still has accidents due to me not noticing his signs that he needs to go out. I take him out every hour or two (and after naps and eating,) but sometimes he drinks too much water or over excited. Problem is I'm deaf, so I can't hear his whimpering, whines, squeals or high pitched barks.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My first thought is that he should be on a leash 100% of the time until he's potty trained, so that you always know where he is. That does mean, however, that you'll need to keep an eye on him when he gets up off your feet.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Yes, tethering is a great idea. As is keeping Ollie confined to something like an exercise pen indoors, except when you can keep a very close eye on him. Slowly you can expand his access to the rest of your living space as he learns that it's part of his home, too, and puppies don't potty in their homes.

Another thing you could start doing is teaching him to press a button before he goes outside, that triggers a flashing light. Lots of people train their pups to ring potty bells, so I don't imagine it would be too hard. Something like this:

Assuming, of course, that his paw can make full contact with the button, but I'm sure there are lots of options out there. I'd probably look for something that's easily portable, in case you travel to a hotel, etc. since Ollie will now rely on this as his signal that he needs to go potty.

I'm not sure how old Ollie is, but keep in mind that young puppies get very little warning when they have to go, and don't yet have the ability to hold it unless they're sleeping. You can pretty much assume that after he's been running around, something is gonna happen. So preemptively get him outside. And never ever scold him for accidents. Just gently interrupt and take him to his potty spot, always praising and giving yummy rewards the moment he goes. (Keep those pockets full of treats!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts