Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is it best to potty train a miniature poodle 9 weeks old in a crate or a play pen area. Also, how do train him in the winter when it's so freezing with snow?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I would not potty train a dog in their crate. You want them to associate their crate with a sleeping/relaxing area, not a place to relieve themselves.

In the rare times I had puppies in spring, I would set out a place with a shoe plastic tray and newspapers on top for a potty spot, near the door the dog will have to use to go outside, and slowly move the newspapers closer and closer to the outside, until one day I put it on the grass near the door (then you quickly remove it once the dog has learned to go outside).

Of course now there are pipi pads available, but same principle. Since it will take a while until your dog can go outside, set a pipi area in his play pen for now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am not sure if mini are different to train like standards but I can give you some advice that I hope will help!!

Some people want to potty train their pups away from their crates (where they sleep) and animals normally have instincts to not want to soil where they sleep. So I would say that if you want to train your pup in the play pen, I would make sure its big enough are where the potty-pads or grass mats are away from his play area and toys. Personally I never wanted to train my pup to use the potty inside the house unless its in the bathroom. Granted we do not get snow here in Alabama so I was able to use the outside only...so if you were to train in the house I would use a bathroom or a secluded place in the play pen where he cannot step/play/sleep in it and you can clean it easily.

Animals so not want to soil that living quarters so I would not use the crate, maybe the play pen but I think if you have to have them use the bathroom inside your home I would use the bathroom for training.

I wish you luck! Potty training can be a challenge but a great way to get to know your pup!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm like SamieNorman, I never want my dogs to think it's ok to go inside. The only exception is if you think you will have to leave him on his own for longer than he will be able to hold his bladder- in which case I would make a pen set up with bed on one end and potty tray on the other- I like using wood pellets.
I live in Ontario so we get lots of snow and cold here, it makes potty training crappy for me but doesn't interfere otherwise! Actually better than spring or fall when they are tracking mud everywhere lol. If there is snow I just tramp down a path and an area where I want the puppy to potty. On the plus side it makes encouraging use of a specific spot in the yard much easier!

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
I follow Ian Dunbar's method:

Works best within the greater context of his puppy training techniques and the routines he lays out in "Before And After Getting Your Puppy."

I find it's helpful to choose a professional you trust and consistently apply their methods to the foundation of your puppy's training. Consistency is key.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We started out potty training Butters at 9 weeks old with the crate. Others in here are right that dogs naturally don't like to soil their den/bed area, but that's why the crate worked really well for us. Butters would not potty while he was in his crate and would hold it. Of course, this was while crate training him and making sure that he knew his crate was his resting/safe space. We made sure his crate was only big enough for him to stand up and turn around in so he couldn't potty in one corner and sleep in another; we've adjusted the size as he grows. Once he was doing that reliably for a month, we started to expand his area to an exercise pen attached to his crate. He's about 17 weeks now and doing wonderfully! Can't wait to continue progressing him with more space.

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
We started out potty training Butters at 9 weeks old with the crate. Others in here are right that dogs naturally don't like to soil their den/bed area, but that's why the crate worked really well for us. Butters would not potty while he was in his crate and would hold it. Of course, this was while crate training him and making sure that he knew his crate was his resting/safe space. We made sure his crate was only big enough for him to stand up and turn around in so he couldn't potty in one corner and sleep in another; we've adjusted the size as he grows. Once he was doing that reliably for a month, we started to expand his area to an exercise pen attached to his crate. He's about 17 weeks now and doing wonderfully! Can't wait to continue progressing him with more space.
Isn't it neat? We see our whole house as our home, but puppies don't automatically see it that way. The trick is to explain it to them in a way they understand. Transcending that language barrier can be challenging, but it's so rewarding. And tools like x-pens, or crates with movable dividers, are kinda like human-dog dictionaries.

Sad how many humans just resort to shouting and physical punishment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts