Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We have a 13 week old mini poodle puppy (had him 3 weeks) and been using the crate for training but I have let him out to run around in the kitchen (tile floor) and I feel like I am watching and taking him out a lot but he still has accidents. This has happened a few times with me but mostly it happens when I have tasked the kiddos to watch him (ages 18, 14, 10, 8, 8, and 6). We are all trying to be on the same page and I try to be in charge the majority of the time but I have to have others help. I work nights and need to get some naps during the day. If Rufus goes outside then should I limit the free time to 15 minutes or so and then crate? I just feel like he is in there more than I want but am unsure how to keep a closer eye on him. I have read tips and try to follow advice but am unsure how to have this work out better. What age are they usually better about potty training? And have I ruined it because he has an accident usually one time per day?

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Don't be discouraged -13 weeks is very young and you can't expect to not have accidents. I used potty bells with Asta and it worked very well. Maybe you can get the dog to sound potty bells which your kids will pick up on.

Ring the potty bells, using his paw, before you take him out. If good, tons of treats and praise. He will begin to associate good things with potty and how to ring the bells.

The only problem I had with Asta was when he was a teenager and would ring his potty bells just to go out. No potty, no treats, no party. He picked up pretty quick that he just shouldn't ring his bells to go out.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Tough situation, but it will get better.

Usually dogs start being more able to hold it around 4 months, but they’re not truly housetrained before 8-12 months, depending on the dog.

Puppy needs to go outside every 2 hours, after drinking or eating and after play. Once he has done his business (not just gone outside, he needs to pee/poo), unless he drinks or eats, you should be good for about 20 minutes for sure, up to 1 hour max. Even 1 hour is stretching it.

Can he take a nap at the same time you do ? Take him out (teach a pee command, so he learns to do it as soon as you go outside. Just say the word exactly when he is doing it and do it everytime) and after he has done his business, crate him and you can both take a nap.

I would not count on the kids to help with housetraining. It’s hard as it is having 2 adults train a puppy, having kids do it will tremendously increase the housebreaking time. I understand you need to sleep, which is why I suggest to make the puppy nap at the same time as you.

If impossible, then (depending how mature she/he is), I would put 1 kid in charge only, the 18 year old. And make sure he/she knows exactly what to do and does it exactly the same as you, as to not confuse the puppy. Some kids are more mature at 14 than others at 18, so maybe your 14 year old is best. You decide.

I would also give duty to your other kids, but things that can actually be more at their level, like taking puppy for a short walk (if he’s vaccinated), or playing with toys for 10 minutes, or one could feed him (show them how much), ect.

But keep housebreaking to a very restricted few. If only for your own sanity...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are great suggestions. I guess I will just need to step up and get a helper and not ty to train all the kids on how to train the puppy. Just maybe my 18 or 14 yr old. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Your puppy will spend more time in his crate than you like when potty training. He will learn how to hold his bladder. Before allowing him on floor every time leash him and take him to his potty spot, as soon as he goes praise & treat if you want. then bring him in and give him his play time. After some play time or if anyone notices him wanting to go off on his own, pick him up leash him and give him another opportunity to potty. If he does more plays time or just a little if busy then crate. I do this with all my dogs and they learn fairly quickly. If they start to potty inside I yell no outside, quickly pick up and take out. My dogs tend to associate leash with going out to potty, off leash play time. They will have a accident or two but its seldom. You pup is also a small pup so his bladder is smaller and requires him to potty more often until he matures more. 13 weeks is very young but he should be getting the idea. It doesn't sound like he is getting it quite yet so you must be a bit more vigilant and if crating does it then chaats what you do for now. Just have one of the children take him outside say every hour or two until you see he is doing better, even if they put him back in crate each time. (I always give 5-10 min play after potty so the associate oh potty=play in house). I'm no expert but that is how I do it. It will be quite awhile before he is trustworthy though but he won't be having accidents.

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
Absolutely everything that Dechi said!

And to clarify puppies will understand the concept of not going in the house long before they actually have the neuromuscular development to resist pressure in their bowel or bladder. The most important thing you have to do now is to prevent "accidents" which you should really think of as rehearsals of incorrect behaviors. Every such rehearsal becomes a reinforcement of that behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts