Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 19 week old male poodle who I feel like I'm struggling to potty train. He's been crate trained and has been good about holding it when he's in there. He does pee, usually immediately, when we bring him out and my husband swears that he can poop on command. The problem is that he shows no indication that he needs to go out and anytime we give him the littlest amount of freedom, he goes and poops either in our room, or on our nice dining room rug :angry: I don't know how to get him to signal that he needs to go.

His pooping schedule isn't that consistent, except he always needs to go in the morning and in the evening. Sometimes he doesn't go at all in the mid morning or afternoon, and sometimes he'll go a couple of times.

Maybe my expectations are skewed and this is totally normal, but I've never potty trained a dog before, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
586 Posts
No freedom at this age, he is still super young. If you can’t watch him, crate him, tether him to you or put him in a playpen. It sounds like you have somewhat a schedule, you can use a cue word. Puppies need to go after they eat, play and nap. Clean the area he pee with an enzyme cleaner so he don’t go to the same spot. I dont really reprimand a puppy who has accidents in the house cause it’s the human’s fault. Poodles are smart, he will pick it up sooner than later.

I have a service bell for Milo, it’s the cutest thing! But in the summe,r he rings to just go outside, not so much to pee. So while it maybe useful, it can also be annoying. Lol

They are not reliably house broken till at least 6 months or more. Even then expect regression if there are major changes in his life or if he is sick. We left milo who is almost 2 with a friend for 10 days while we went on vacation. His last potty accident was at 10 weeks old. His 3rd day at their house, he peed in their room and pooped in their bathroom. He was depressed and stressed. He was better after day 4 and onwards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How to do you get them trained to ring the bell though? Especially if they have no freedom to go up to the bell and indicate that they need to go out?

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I used potty bells with Asta. He quickly picked up the cue. I started by helping him ring the bell, then put onthe leash. If he pottyed, he got a treat when we came inside. No potty, no treat. This I think helped to link in his mind that he must potty to get the treat inside.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I used potty bells with Asta. I started by helping him ring the bells, then on leash and out to the designated potty spot. If he pottyed, he got a treat when we came inside. No potty no treat. I think this helped solidiyfing yin his mind that potty got a treat inside. As he got older, I put him on a long line to go out to the potty area. When he was finally reliable I let him go on his own to the potty spot, then come back in for his treat. It helped also to get him to come home right after pottying so he could get that treat.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST - my screw up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How to do you get them trained to ring the bell though? Especially if they have no freedom to go up to the bell and indicate that they need to go out?
i train that in stages. first stage was just getting him to ring the bell. he rings, i treat then i got him to ring and i open the door, and treat. i have a small area on the corner of my deck where he pees so i dont use a leash. when he pees/poo outside, i treat and make it a big deal. the best time to connect it all together was in the morning. he gets out of his crate, i bring him to the door, prompt him to ring, he goes out, pees and i treat. took a lot of tries, but it was well worth it. he still rings the bell to go outside. in the colder months like now, when he rings it, he really need to eliminate. in summer, 50% of the time, he rings just to be outside so he can sun himself on the deck..lol he is older now so i dont treat for potty or ringing the bell anymore.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Young dogs do not develop the neuromuscular control to resist relieving themselves until they are at least 6 month sold. You cannot consider a dog younger than 6 months to be housebroken in understanding (develops earlier) and in ability.

That said you do not want to allow accidents to occur. So as said above no freedom for now. Either use the crate or leash him to you when out of the crate. Establish and maintain a good, fair schedule for taking pup out for relief. This should be on waking, after eating and drinking and after play sessions.

You can train dogs to potty on command. All of our dogs are so trained. There are many discussions on it here, just search for "potty on command."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts