Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old standard poodle that we brought home at 8 weeks. He sleeps through the night and can hold his pee in the crate without trouble. However, once he is up and playing it seems like he constantly has to go. We have to take him outside every 15 min when out of the crate or else he seems to forget and go in the house. We take him out on leash, say go pee and reward outside. If he goes pee inside, I say outside firmly and bring him out to finish. We clean floor with nature's miracle. He doesn't seem to get the idea of bells nor does he go to the door to go out to pee. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
That actually sounds like he's perfectly on track for his age. He's not yet developed enough to physically sense that he has to go and then hold it long enough to tell you. Some poodles mature in this regard faster than others, but you can't rush it. Just keep doing what you're doing. :) Consistency is key.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My standard didn’t seem to get it at all at that age. If he went outside it was mostly by fluke I think. There was about 4 times I took him out and he didn’t go and then within minutes peed on my sons bed. It felt like it would never end. I was taking him out every half hour for what felt like ages. Just keep taking him out every hour. Watch him as closely as you can. Don’t show emotion when they have accidents. Use a crate if you can for when you can’t supervise. Or a play pen (although that didn’t really work for me he still went in the play pen). If it makes you feel any better my boy is now trained and has had very few accidents in a a month. Just one overnight accident which I don’t think www his fault. It will get better. I honestly though my guy would never be housetrained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Our 4 yo goldendoodle trained almost immediately so I was surprised about the difference...

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Their neuromuscular system is still too immature at that age to recognize the urge to urinate until it's happening. As the neuro portion matures (maybe around 4m), it will recognize the urge but still may not have the muscular control to hold their elimination. That usually comes around 6m. Just think human infant, same thing but your pup will catch on faster since they mature much faster.
Until then, activity, movement = elimination, waking up = elimination, eating and drinking = elimination, to name a few triggers :).
As mentioned, take him out regularly every hour or so and after every trigger. Give him as much opportunity as you can to be successful. Eventually it'll all be in the past.

A thought...it's not common but check with your vet to ask if he might need to be tested for a UTI.

I thought my boys weren't going to catch on to the potty bells. I was taken by surprise the day I heard the bells jingling from behind me. Remo told me that he had to go!

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
I had the same potty issues with my Galen. Taking him outside enough? I think the little stinker had his organs hooked into some interdimensional plumbing portal. I could take him outside, watch him pee & poop, and have an accident within 5 minutes of coming back inside. The advice people give about leashing the puppy inside? Nah, he'd pee at my feet from a standing position with no warning. I knew, intellectually, he'd grow out of it eventually. But boy was it depressing when I was in the thick of it.

Things seemed to click around 6 months, which is also when he started lifting his leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts