Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping to get a little advice. We've had our mini poodle for almost two weeks. He was doing really good with the potty training, but in the past few days we are having setbacks. I take him out to the potty spot in our backyard a lot (after he wakes from a nap, after playing really hard, 30 to 60 minutes after he drinks water, if he seems very interested in sniffing around the floor like he might have to go, and every few hours if none of the above happens).

He's on a leash when we go to the potty spot and I don't play with him or talk to him until he goes potty. Then we play and I'll let him off the leash to sniff around in the yard, then we go back in the house.

Until the past few days, he always went pee when I took him out (if he had to go of course). Two nights ago, I knew he had to go so I took him out and he wouldn't go. I waited 20 minutes and took him out again. Nothing. Waited 20 more minutes and took him out. Again, he wouldn't go. Then we went inside and he peed on the floor. (I clapped my hands to interrupt him, picked him up and took him outside to his potty spot.)

Same thing happened last night. I knew he had to go, he wouldn't go. Then inside the house he was playing with a toy in his bed and all of a sudden stood up and peed right there in the bed (something he has never done). Last night he peed in his crate (he sleeps in his crate), something he never does.

We don't have any issues with pooping. He eats on a schedule and poops on a schedule like clockwork. Knock on wood, he’s never had a poop accident in the house yet. I take away his water two hours before bedtime and we go out to pee right before bed. When we wake up in the morning, I pick him up out of the crate and carry him out to the potty pot outside so he doesn’t have a chance to pee in the house. Until a few days ago, it all seemed to be working well. Also, we go on a 20 minute walk in the morning and a 20 minute walk at night. He often goes potty on his walks, as well.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Should I start giving him treats when he goes potty outside? It seems like he’s not really getting the concept of no potty in the house (although he typically doesn’t potty in his crate, other than last night).

Edited to add, he's 15 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Don't get discouraged, sometimes puppies just regress and need a little more encouragement that they are doing the right thing. I just find that smaller dogs are harder to potty train than large. I would definitely use treats as a reward every time he goes potty. And I don't just mean a treat, I mean a PARTY!!! Lots of praise, cookies and petting. He needs to know that going potty is a positive experience and good things happen when he goes.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing lots of praise ("Good boy!" and petting) when he goes but haven't tried treats yet. One of my co-workers is using treats with her new puppies (same age) and she said they are doing really well with is. I think I will try that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Usually if they don't go when I take them out, I will put them back in a crate, waite 30 minutes and take them out again.

The fact that this boy is peeing on his bed and in his crate is worrisome. I wonder if he could have a UTI.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually if they don't go when I take them out, I will put them back in a crate, waite 30 minutes and take them out again.

The fact that this boy is peeing on his bed and in his crate is worrisome. I wonder if he could have a UTI.
That thought did cross my mind. He has a vet appointment this weekend, but if he keeps going potty in his bed and crate I will take him in earlier. I really hope that isn't the case. He isn't straining at all when he goes, and he's urinating a normal volume and with normal frequency.

When he peed on the bed he was really excited, playing with a toy and digging in the bed, just really riled up and then he peed. I wonder if he was just so excited he didn't recognize that he had to go... it was almost like it caught him by surprise.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to report no potty accidents yesterday and woke up to a clean and dry crate...

On another note, Jäger just figured out the stairs -- up and down -- and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! I think Jäger is going to stick... Maybe his middle name will be Robbie.

My husband calls him Jäger and Buddy. He wanted to just name him Buddy but I flat-out refused.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts