Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some guidance and encouragement. I have a 5 1/2 month old male miniature poodle who is not yet potty trained. I've had him since 11 weeks of age. Recently he went 3 weeks with no accidents and then I eased up on monitoring him and he peed right at the door last week. Since then, he is back on strict schedule and all eyes on deck watching him. Last night he peed in the living room but since I watch him 100% of the time, I caught him in the act and rushed him outside where he finished peeing. He is crate trained and that helps along with regular feeding times. We have a bell at the door which he rings for pooping but rarely for peeing. I use praise and treats for rewards and he goes to same spot. He rarely drinks water during the daytime but in the evening he drinks lots and lots. Then wants to pee huge volumes and very frequently b/w 7:45pm and 8:45pm. He had his urine tested for infection and all is well so no issues there. My friend who used to be a vet tech noticed his huge drinking and excessive peeing last night and mentioned perhaps having blood work done or X-ray of bladder b/c she considers this abnormal. I've already had his urine tested and he holds it all night for 8-9 hours. I actually have to wake him up and encourage him to come out of his crate in the morning.......doesn't seem to be a morning puppy. ha ha. I do notice that bones and chewies cause him to drink lots of water and I tend to give him those each evening so perhaps I could try to not do that as much. During the day, I let him out for potty at 7am right when I leave for work. Then he is in his crate until 10am when the neighbor takes him out. Then I come home at 11:30am let him out and feed him and out again. Then neighbor takes him out again at 2pm. Then I come from work at 3:30 and take him out again. Is this too much time? Should I skip the 10am potty break so he can learn to hold his bladder longer? Again, I don't have issues except in the late evenings. Perhaps I should alternate b/w outside and crate time from 7:45 to 8:45pm since that's like the danger zone time. Any insight would be helpful. Perhaps he is too young or I expect too much too soon. Please help! I was up most of the night so frustrated over this!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Every dog is different. You seem to be doing a very good job so in your case it’s not because of mistakes you‘re making. It’s just a matter of your dog’s bladder (and brain) maturing.

It took a very long time with Beckie, my toy poodle. I was very experienced with puppies but had never seen one with such an immature bladder. If I remember correctly (they’re a long post about it) at 8 months she still had to go outside every two hours. At 1 year old she was pretty good but still making mistakes sometimes, although rarely.

Now she is 2 1/2 and very, very reliable. So hang in there.

About chewies, they make dogs drink because they are very salty so I wouldn’t give them every night. Find something that doesn’t cause so much drinking. Also, you probably know this, but no rawhide, ever. They are very dangerous and can get stuck in your dog’s eosophagus and result in surgery or even death.

(I wouldn’t skip the 1030 am break because your puppy needs social time. Don’t worry about it, in time he will mature. I guarantee you this will post will only be a distant memory in a year).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every dog is different. You seem to be doing a very good job so in your case it’s not because of mistakes you‘re making. It’s just a matter of your dog’s bladder (and brain) maturing.

It took a very long time with Beckie, my toy poodle. I was very experienced with puppies but had never seen one with such an immature bladder. If I remember correctly (they’re a long post about it) at 8 months she still had to go outside every two hours. At 1 year old she was pretty good but still making mistakes sometimes, although rarely.

Now she is 2 1/2 and very, very reliable. So hang in there.

About chewies, they make dogs drink because they are very salty so I wouldn’t give them every night. Find something that doesn’t cause so much drinking. Also, you probably know this, but no rawhide, ever. They are very dangerous and can get stuck in your dog’s eosophagus and result in surgery or even death.

(I wouldn’t skip the 1030 am break because your puppy needs social time. Don’t worry about it, in time he will mature. I guarantee you this will post will only be a distant memory in a year).
[/QUOTE
Thank you so much for your response. I found your words very encouraging. I will lay low on the chewies and continue with the strict monitoring and schedule.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, and I'm very impressed with the daily schedule you've set up. Lucky puppy!

Peggy's 7.5 months and we still take her out every couple of hours during the day. The difference is that now she doesn't always potty. She still enjoys her sniff time, and loves stretching her legs, but sometimes she'll just pee, sometimes she'll just poop, and sometimes she does neither. This is a dramatic change from just 2 months ago.

At 5.5 months she was either tethered under a watchful eye or in her crate or exercise pen when indoors. And then it was straight out for potty. She'd go every time (often both). And then straight back to being tethered or confined. We gave her no opportunity to have accidents.

Regarding evening water consumption, what sort of chewies do you use? I find the good ones (like Himalayan yak cheese) don't trigger the intense thirst that the less digestible ones do. Stuffed kongs are also a great option. Peggy loves a bit of banana in hers.

Note: If you do decide to change your current schedule, don't eliminate the mid-morning break or be sure to let your dog out twice before leaving for work, with a good bit of "jostling" activity in there to get the bladder and bowels moving. Mid-morning is a prime time for accidents. All the dogs I've had needed to go twice in the AM, sometimes rather close together.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Although there is some variability no puppy should be considered to be neuromuscularly developed enough to hold their bladder or bowel against pressure to go before they are 6 months old. They will understand the concept much sooner but they will not be able to control the needed sphincters.

When a puppy pees near the door to go to their potty spot generally they were trying to tell somebody to let them out. If the chew treats make him drink a lot then I would cut down on them.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Good info from everybody. I've got 2 mini boys, brothers from the same litter. I started a journal of their puppy days, and about 4 months in, I started a separate pee page :). There were extended streaks of days, even weeks of not peeing inside, but it wasn't til they were about 7 months that there was maybe only 1 day in the month that the streak was broken.

I actually think my bigger boy, Neo, wasn't the one breaking the streaks, so I think he was trained, able, and reliable by 6 months and my littler boy, Remo, took another month.

How much water do you think he's taking on board in the evening?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your help and wisdom! I generally give whatever they have at Petco.....esophagus, beef tail, etc. Good lovin' brand makes them. But he will have these on limited basis now and I'll look for alternatives. He doesn't like a Kong stuff with peanut butter? Who doesn't like peanut butter????? lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rose n Poos,
I am not sure how much water he drinks in the evenings but it has been a lot! I didn't give him any chewies that are salty yesterday evening and things went much better. No accidents or attempts and I crated and kept going outside and watched like a hawk. I feel much more hopeful with everyone's feedback! It has been ruff.

·
Premium Member
22,595 Posts
Thank you for your help and wisdom! I generally give whatever they have at Petco.....esophagus, beef tail, etc. Good lovin' brand makes them. But he will have these on limited basis now and I'll look for alternatives. He doesn't like a Kong stuff with peanut butter? Who doesn't like peanut butter????? lol

Ha that is funny! None of our dogs likes kongs and at least Lily doesn't like peanut butter either. I think Javelin at best looks on PB as meh. Maybe just try smaller size on the chews (or maybe cut them in half.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Peggy far prefers the Kong tire to the traditional Kong. And it must be from their puppy line. The adult Kongs aren't as chewy and apparently not as fun?

If your dog likes fruit, this was a good one while Peggy was teething. Just a slice of frozen apple. For months, I kept pre-cut frozen fruits and veggies in a freezer bag. Whole foods (rather than dehydrated chews) have the added bonus of hydrating without triggering a mad dash to potty.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Really, you're doing fine. I agree with the others. And 6 months is really very average for a puppy to get house broken. Average...meaning that some take longer and others less time. They're all different. I've had puppies get pretty good by 3 to 3.5 months...no joke. (Lab and Shepherd) My Dobe took 10 months to be reliable, (akkk) the poodle boys here longer than that, which was my fault. But anyhow, don't despair...keep at it. It does show that your puppy is trying to go outside when he eliminates by the door...at least if that happens above coincidence. Those little sphincter muscles (purse string) take a while to get stronger like Lily says.

I'd definitely cut out most or all of those salty, brine soaked chew things. I don't know that they're all that healthy anyhow.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
These are Peggy's favourite, even still, with her adult teeth, and they don't make her thirsty:

Well worth the cost for us. They're fully digestible, not smelly or sticky, and when they get down to a nub, you just pop them in the microwave for a crunchy pooch-approved snack. Peggy can hardly sit still while there's a puff cooling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha that is funny! None of our dogs likes kongs and at least Lily doesn't like peanut butter either. I think Javelin at best looks on PB as meh. Maybe just try smaller size on the chews (or maybe cut them in half.
Lily doesn't like peanut butter either? Haha ha haha. How funny.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really, you're doing fine. I agree with the others. And 6 months is really very average for a puppy to get house broken. Average...meaning that some take longer and others less time. They're all different. I've had puppies get pretty good by 3 to 3.5 months...no joke. (Lab and Shepherd) My Dobe took 10 months to be reliable, (akkk) the poodle boys here longer than that, which was my fault. But anyhow, don't despair...keep at it. It does show that your puppy is trying to go outside when he eliminates by the door...at least if that happens above coincidence. Those little sphincter muscles (purse string) take a while to get stronger like Lily says.

I'd definitely cut out most or all of those salty, brine soaked chew things. I don't know that they're all that healthy anyhow.
Thank you Poodlebeguiled! Yes my last doggie was potty trained at 3 months and only peed in my house twice EVER. So this is new territory for me. But I am determined to conquer! No accidents past 2 days and I am committed to keep following my system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are Peggy's favourite, even still, with her adult teeth, and they don't make her thirsty:

Well worth the cost for us. They're fully digestible, not smelly or sticky, and when they get down to a nub, you just pop them in the microwave for a crunchy pooch-approved snack. Peggy can hardly sit still while there's a puff cooling.

View attachment 463726
PeggytheParti I am going to order that chew now! That you so much! Everyone here has been so supportive and helpful. This has not been easy and I am grateful for the feedback and advice. I was feeling so overwhelmed and alone.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
PeggytheParti I am going to order that chew now! That you so much! Everyone here has been so supportive and helpful. This has not been easy and I am grateful for the feedback and advice. I was feeling so overwhelmed and alone.
You are NEVER alone! :)

You should see some of my hysterical posts from Peggy's first few months. (And not hysterical as in ha-ha.) The kind members of this forum not only offered me excellent advice and generously shared their own experiences, they doled out a little tough love on occasion, too. It was exactly what I needed.

With those yak chews, we love to use them for bonding time. At first we sat in Peggy's exercise pen with her and held one end while she chewed. She'd often climb into our laps and really cuddle in close. Now she's graduated to couch time, but we still generally hold one end while we watch TV and she chomps away. So much more pleasant than bully sticks, but be prepared for what looks like Parmesan shavings.

I find it very endearing that she'll walk into the living room, head straight to her toy box, pull one out, and bring it to us. Even if I'm not in the mood to hold it, she'll sit as close as she can. I'm never quite sure I'm doing anything right, but this seems to be a lovely alternative to the guarding behaviours some dogs exhibit around chews.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had many different breeds of dogs in my lifetime and currently am raising my first SP. She was a dream on housebreaking as I got get at 8 weeks and by 10 weeks we were having no accidents, never a poop one only pee and only 5-6 total at that. I'm in shock! Of the other dogs I've had males were always harder, took longer but never months. My Emma drinks, what I think is, an inordinate amount is water especially when she was younger, she's nearly 6 months right now, still drinks way more that my other dogs but had not had any problem holding it. Hope your guy gets his act together soon and turns out fine. Aren't these poodles fun dogs irrespective of any Doggie issues?! Just love my Emma.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Grannyhorsesitter (love your name!), you sound just like me. I was shocked at how quickly my spoo was potty trained and am generally just blown away by her daily. She's certainly uniquely challenging. I've always had very clever dogs, but she's on a whole other level. And that's not always easy!

I know she's a dog, but sometimes I feel like she's her own species. Yesterday I watched her make up games in the backyard, by herself, for half an hour. It was like watching a toddler play.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Peggy...do those yak chews last a long time? My tiny poodles mind you, are more than "powerful chewers." They'll rip to shreds a Kong toy, no matter how black it is. (the really tough ones) My toy poodles could match a wolf in tearing apart a hunk of prey, I tell you. I finally learned after many wasted toys and a lot of $$$ that a 7.5 or even the 4.5 lb poodle with teeth so small you need to have your glasses on to see them and a muzzle so small and dainty... has nothing whatsoever to do with the chewing prowess of these wee creatures.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Grannyhorsesitter (love your name!), you sound just like me. I was shocked at how quickly my spoo was potty trained and am generally just blown away by her daily. She's certainly uniquely challenging. I've always had very clever dogs, but she's on a whole other level. And that's not always easy!

I know she's a dog, but sometimes I feel like she's her own species. Yesterday I watched her make up games in the backyard, by herself, for half an hour. It was like watching a toddler play.
Yes, Emma wore out the barn cats and her furry bubba and sissy this morning quickly as she was WIRED so she started her own game while I finished cleaning the pens in the arena, sipping here and there to check on me. She's gotten the schedule down pat and bow tells me when it's time to get up in the morning and when to go out in the evening. Sometimes she tries to "help" me get my boots and coat on. She just takes such joy in life overall that it's hard not to be happy as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts