Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my way to pick Fenris up and it's pouring rain. Tropical Storm Eta (fingers crossed not hurricane) is circling Florida so this constant misery is expected probably for the next week.

So how do I potty train Fenris in the pouring rain and not make him hate going potty? I really, really would prefer him not getting into the habit of going at home. But if this continues, outside will be flooding soon enough. Plus, I don't actually have pee pads or inside grassy area because this Eta thing happened so quickly. Any ideas on how I tackle this thing?

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
I would put Fenris on leash and go out with him so you can see that he has pottied before you bring him in. Lily understood that potty inside was not acceptable but hated squatting in the rain so she would disappear in the yard, be gone for just about the right amount of time at the door and then go to our unfinished basement and do her thing there. So on a leash we went. I had already been working potty on command so it didn't take her long to decide it was better to go as fast as possible. We always celebrated big time while still outside until we had it licked.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I once lived in the countryside south of Houston. It rains buckets there. In fact, it's so wet and the area is so flat that our septic line had to be partially above ground - they dug a trench and filled it with gravel then place the pipe at the top of the trench and heaped dirt over it. Whenever it rained the entire property (3 acres) flooded but the septic "hill" stayed above the water. Our dogs would sit on that hill because they would otherwise have to be in water 8 inches deep. I had to make a special potty arrangement in the house for the chihuahua. I was SO glad to leave there!

The other truly awful thing was that when it flooded the fire ants would come up out of the earth and make a floating mound! The ones on the bottom of the mound would be drowned, but the ones above them survived to crate a new home. They were a terrible scourge!

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Yes to the leash! We didn't really use one for Peggy's first month or so, but in weather like that, I think it's important.

Do you have anywhere that's even slightly sheltered and/or elevated? I would choose the least blustery spot, stick with it (as long as it's safe!), and act like the rain is no big deal because Fenris will be looking to you for guidance. Since you're following Dunbar's methods, you know to jog out to the potty spot, and spend only a couple of minutes there.

We take Peggy out on a leash for most of her toilet breaks (a habit I'm slowly trying to break), so we've stood out there with her in every sort of weather. I recommend keeping a raincoat or poncho at the door. :)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
We stand inside in the garage with a rain-coated Normie on a long leash and let him do his thing.
Sometimes I walk a bit and shelter both of us with an umbrella.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses! My dad actually came up with a genius idea, we put a tarp out on a partially covered (and screened in) porch and got grass patches from home depot. So far he had one accident at home when I brought him in right after spending 15 minutes outside (though he was pretty distracted by the howling wind). The second time he peed right next to the grass on the tarp so we got closer to the destination.

Funny thing, he refused to eat at first. I gave him a break and tried feeding again. I tried from my hand, from a bowl (he is scared of bowls for some reason and even refuses to come close to the water bowl), from the ground, from the kong... nothing. I tried dry food, food in water, food in chicken bone broth... regular food, treats (he does not care for treats), nothing. Next on my list was his snuffle mat, oooh that's a favorite, he actually ate.

On another note, the cat is cautiously curious and he has completely ignored the cat so far. I'm hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
He's over threshold, for sure. Poor baby. Peggy will ignore even her favourite human snacks if she's stressed enough.

Have you researched trigger stacking? The next 48 hours should be all about letting him decompress.

Regarding the water bowl, use something shallow and soft-sided if you can. Or at least plastic. No ceramic or stainless to start, especially if he has tags that might tinkle against it.

Glad to hear the potty spot is working out. Good thinking, dad. :) And welcome home, Fenris!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's too much for him. I have read about the concept and I know he must be super stressed. He seems to be lacking sleep and can only sleep by me right now, the minute I move, he wakes up, so I'm letting him sleep while I'm sitting here. That's a good idea about the bowl. I have a stainless steel but I also have a soft travel one. I'll see if he'll drink from there.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
So true, Johanna. It rains buckets in Houston, during hurricane season and also during winter months. I made rain a fun thing, with my “Yay, it’s raining!” We had no problems off leash in our large yard during Harvey. (I had to upgrade my own rain gear, after that.) I had to carry my previous Scottie out the door, or drag him outside if it was even misting! I have a powerful lightweight flashlight to insure Buck has done his biz, and it’s bagged. He’s a great sport with thunder and lightening and revels in sniffing fallen trees. Wisely, he’s less excited when it’s “hot as the hinges of hell” as my mom used to say. So we adjust for that, but not rain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My new puppy seems zen about dry grass, less so about wet grass. Hence me standing outside with him on a leash at 1.30 am, trying to be very quiet and boring, while he tries to elevate all four paws off the grass at once. :D I AM wondering how he’ll do in rain, or snow...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what I've learned from my first night of potty training, no accidents inside, yay! But outside the tarp is much better than the grass. When I pick him up mid-stream he just stops and then lays down on the grass and starts eating it. potty interrupted mid-stream and forgotten. Until about an hour later he needs to go outside again. I am exhausted, I think maybe once I got 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Though by morning he seemed to settle into the crate quickly after breaks. And he naturally waits for permission to get out of the crate.

Unfortunately this zig-zag like a drunken ballerina will probably keep the rains and winds for about a week. And power outage was not fun. Was not expecting it until the porch light didn't turn on. I do have flashlights, but since I was using the porch light I, none were on me. And he had to go right now, of course, in the dark and on the tarp. I guess I gotta be thankful he can hold it enough to get on the tarp and keeps it on the tarp. Grass is the next goal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts