Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here. Hello all!

A new Toy Poodle has arrived a week and a half ago. He is 11 and 1/2 weeks old.
Looking for advise on a couple of questions:

1) Potty training not working. Pads and Newspapers only good to eat and shred. We pick him up during of after the accident and take him there. Nothing. Is it too soon?
2) We bought him a park, no cradle. He sleeps in the park, door open that leads to the kitchen all to himself during the night. Of course, pee and poop in the morning throughout the kitchen. But sleeps ok. From 10Pm until 7 or 7:30. Wakes up at night and whines, but nothing special. Falls back to sleep.
Are we doing the right thing? He still can't go out, only after next Tuesday.
3) Hand biting. He keeps biting our hands not in a bad way, but it get annoying. We keep distracting him, but keeps coming back.

Are we being to demanding for such a puppy?

Thanks a lot!!
Vasco

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Too soon
Pup is young, the environment is new, and he has left his whole world behind.
Find a way to secure and the mark the pad with urine and feces so he know what the pad is for.
Also Far too young to be housebroken reliably, toy pups take a bit longer because of their tiny bladders.
As for the biting redirect to a toy or cease play until puppy is calm.
My last pup is now 3 years old

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
1) Potty training not working. Pads and Newspapers only good to eat and shred. We pick him up during of after the accident and take him there. Nothing. Is it too soon?
Yes, it's too soon. One of my standard poodles was mostly housebroken by 4 months, but he still did submissive piddling until 9 months. The other two were at 6 months. Lifting a leg to pee seemed to correspond to when my guys really stopped peeing inside. Before that, even though they might have understood I didn't want them to pee inside, they really didn't have the body control.

2) We bought him a park, no cradle. He sleeps in the park, door open that leads to the kitchen all to himself during the night. Of course, pee and poop in the morning throughout the kitchen. But sleeps ok. From 10Pm until 7 or 7:30. Wakes up at night and whines, but nothing special. Falls back to sleep.
He has too much free space. Put him to sleep in a small space, only big enough for the puppy. He won't want to pee in his bed, so he will hold it until you take him out. And...take him out often. He's a little boy, so he has a little bladder. You might need to wake him up and take him to his toilet area in the middle of the night, at least at first. You don't want to wait too long, so that he wets his bed. It becomes harder to housebreak them when they get into the habit of wetting their bed.

Instead of a pee pad or newspaper I used a tray filled with grass and dirt. I wanted my puppies to think of dirt and grass as the right place to pee. However, puppies do dig, and sometimes my puppies had great fun flinging dirt and making a big mess. My method definitely won't work for everyone!

Get the puppy onto a schedule. Since you have a toy, you will need to feed him several times a day to prevent hypoglycemia. Take him to his toilet 15 minutes after he eats. Praise him and give him a really yummy treat, like a small piece of chicken, if he pees or poops. Put him in his bed and don't play with him if he does nothing. Wait 15 minutes and try again. Once he pees and poops and eats his treat you should reward him by playing with him and giving him lots of attention.

Also, my guys often signaled they were ready to poop by running around crazy. So, if your quiet puppy suddenly starts running around, you might want to nudge him towards his toilet area.

3) Hand biting. He keeps biting our hands not in a bad way, but it get annoying. We keep distracting him, but keeps coming back.
Sounds like a normal puppy. Keep distracting him with toys. Get up and leave the room if he keeps biting you when you give him a toy. He will be extra bitey when he is losing his baby teeth; then he will improve. He will also be extra bitey when he is over tired. Puppies are like small children; they don't know when they are tired. Sometimes, when they get extra wild & crazy, you need to put them to bed for a nap.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Another vote for what twyla and cowpony have offered. What's your little puppy's name?

Toys need 3-4 smaller meals a day to sustain them and avoid hypoglycemia, a very serious condition.
Small meals at regular times will often help with keeping the poo times also on schedule.

As mentioned, on top of the scheduled times for eliminations, he'll need to go after every activity. Activities include waking after napping or sleeping, eating, drinking, playing, training, walking...

When not under direct supervision, for his safety and possibly your sanity :) he should be given limited freedom. An ex-pen* might do the trick if you don't already have one. You need him close to you so you can observe and learn his "gotta go. now." look, posture, behavior.

*I think what you're calling "park" is what we call an exercise pen, not a crate, but a small, secure, contained area for him to be in when not under direct supervision. This is what one members area looks like. The potty area is at one end, sleeping and play area at the opposite end, food and water in the middle. Something like this would contain accidents to that small area, if they happen.

Until he's around 6 months old, his neuromuscular system is too immature for him to recognize and connect the signals his body is giving him. By around 4 months he'll start really catching on but is still a ways out from fully connecting the two.

Cowpony mentioned the grassy patch. Premade they look like this:

You can create your own with real or artificial sod. I'm assuming that a private, securely fenced outdoor area where no other dogs have been in within the last year is not available, so it'll need to be some sort of pad until he can put paws on the ground after being fully vaccinated.

I think I saw that you're in Portugal? I don't know if there are legal restrictions about crating dogs there, as there are in some other countries, so that may not be an option but cowpony's idea of a smaller sleeping area is sound. Dogs will not soil their sleeping area if they can help it by going elsewhere. In the photo example above, the sleeping area could have a blanket over the end portion, creating a darker, quieter sleeping area.

Definitely keep a toy or treats in your pocket or out of puppy reach in easy and quick to reach areas around your home to trade out for hands and fingers.

This is an article which will help you see the world from your very young puppy's eyes.

Have you been introduced to Dr. Ian Dunbar, a respected animal behaviorist and trainer? He has a website full of very helpful information. There are two books particularly that I'll link for you. One is Before you get your puppy and the other is After. Both will have helpful information for you, to start with.

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE You Get Your Puppy.pdf

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts