Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Thanks for taking the time to read about my little angel.

My family has had a multipoo puppy since early November 2019. Maggie is now 8 months old and out family absolutely adores her, however, my wife and I are going nuts with her potty training.
We used the crate training method for about 3-4 months and thought we were on the right track. We followed the same procedure we used with our labs in the past. It worked well with them, we thought it would do the same with Maggie.

Well it hasn't, we take Maggie out regularly. We taught her to ring a bell when she had to visit the backyard. She will ring it and on occassion when we bring her out she will eliminate. We have a schedule we use to keep track of when she has to be taken out and in-between we either crate her or keep her right beside us.

We've been working at this for about 6 months and STILL, if she get a few moments away from us she will wither do #1 or #2 on the floor. Not necessarily a sneaky elimination but an elimination in the house nonetheless. It feels like she still has NO IDEA we don't want her to do this in the house. She's a very intelligent dog, our children have taught her many tricks in a short time but the potty training feels like a complete failure.

Any critique or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

You've inadvertently posted in a forum dedicated to the discussion of poodle colors. You have important questions. If you repost over in Poodle Talk, your thread will be seen by more members. You can copy your post, no need to type it out again.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Welcome! You need to tether her inside or have eyes on her constantly, so you can catch her in the act or read subtle signs and whisk her outside. The goal is zero mistakes and any that happen are mostly your fault. When she is successful outside, praise party with treats! The ultimate goal is potty on command outside. (On inclement days, my favorite command:) Your puppy has to earn free range in your house. Treats and praise, a schedule, and obviously through disinfecting of “mistake” locations help. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts