Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are spoos easy to potty train? How do you train? Is IAMS Large breed ok to feed them...it has chicken as #1 ingredient

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy trained in under 2 weeks and was super easy Casey took forever to train.
I believe now that Casey was kept in crate as I was told he was crate trained. UM trained to potty in his crate.
He would poop and pee in it whenever the need.

Iams isn't one of the food that gets good ratings right now. For the price you could find better. We right now are feeding Kirkland brand as I was not working for some time.
I have fed Taste of the wild and loved the results on Mandy.
Orijen I am afraid to feed but lots of people love it. ( protien levels really high)
Canidae is good.
Check your pet food stores instead of supermarket. Petsmart doesn't have great foods either ( canada anyways)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Good question, for while I just thought Olie was taking forever. But I honestly think what I was waiting for was more of an indicator that he had to go out. His indicator now is to standy by the back door and wait. It's kind of cute as most thing's he does are.:) But if your consistent every 30 minutes for 30 days and lots of follow up, it can be achieved. Some even earlier.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Forgot about the food question

Iams - I had it for a couple months with 2 of my dogs because thats what the breeders?? gave me. My dogs threw up at least 3 -4 times a week and had horrible gas on it. The ingredients are NOT good. I agree with Mandy accept to add bule buffolo, its the better of the 3 I tried so far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have found that if you can devote a couple of days to intensive training, they are very easy to train. But you have to commit. In addition to taking the dog out every 30 minutes to an hour, never let the dog out of your sight. Training is most effective when you actually catch the dog as they are just starting to potty in your house. This is when true learning happens. Otherwise, they learn that they are praised when they go outside to potty, but not necessarily that they are not supposed to also potty in the house.

When I am housetraining, i don't sit down unless the dog is asleep on the floor and in my line of sight. I follow the dog like a hawk and snatch them up as soon as they start to go and rush them outside while saying something like "potty outside". Even young puppies start to get the idea withinn just a few days. After they are well on their way with this, I introduce the dog door and thrust them out the dog door and then go meet them on the other side to make sure they go into the yard. If you can't absolutely watch them every second, put them in the crate. You don't want them to have an accident while you aren't looking if you can help it. Of course you will have such accidents, but the fewer you have the more rapidly the learning happens.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think with a lot of things dogs are individuals and they train at the pace that they set sometimes. They are a lot like children. Some train in one day and others it takes a few weeks to set the pattern and get them to understand what is expected of them. They say that poodles are easy to housebreak and that might be for some and not for others, same with intelligence. It does take consistant work and keeping a hawk eye on the dog at all times and keeping them in an easy to clean area if you can't watch them all of the time. Harry came to me housebroken. He had one accident in the house and then never again. Jasper took a little bit longer but he got it after about 3 weeks and by then I had learned his cues to know he wanted to go out.

I wouldn't really recommend Iams to anyone. I don't think the ingredients are good. I'm pretty happy with Blue Buffalo now. I think Harry's stools might have been different because of a rawhide bone he had been eating. They are much better now and his coat is so thick because of all the protein.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think you'll find poodles, in general, much easier to house train than other breeds. A lot depends on your consistancy and supervision, of course.
By the time my puppies leave for their new homes they are going 'potty' outside most of the time. They also are not messing in their crate or pen during the night. It sure is wonderful! :)

Dog food wise... you can visit my site where I have a page regarding it. I love being involved with pet nutrition... which is why my daughter and I opened a natural pet food store.
Here is the link to read thoughts on better foods for a standard.

www.desertreefpoodles.com/dogfood.cfm

Best of luck to you ... enjoy all the fun puppy stages... they grow so fast!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I like and reccomend Evangers Pheasant and Rice food. If you want more protein thatn the chicken and Rice or the Whitefish and sweet potato. My dogs do great on it. if you are remote then Canidae is good as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recommend Hills DRY food. For pups the puppy formulation in small bites. It's important to feed at the SAME time daily if possible. Immediately after the pup finishes its food take to the potty and then take away food until the next feeding time. With my dogs, even when grown, they still expect "potty time" right after feeding - they have a habit but don't understand why. (So do I.)

Table scraps should be avoided. A pinch from your plate in the food dish is a real treat for any of my dogs of any age. One exception is a milk shake. Did you ever see a grown poodle try to drink a milk shake? Bring a wet towel because they think that snout is a straw!! For grown dogs I also give a roasted cow ear about once a month.

In the past twenty odd years I've found that the prescription foods (particularly Hills brands) cost LESS than grocery store brands and dogs do well on smaller portions. Same with cats if not more so.

A tip from a veterinarian: When needed to spice up food for a picky eater, mix in a teaspoon of olive oil.

DON'T LET YOUR DOG GET FAT!! Check with your vet for weight guidelines.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Olive oil is very good on dry food for the dog's skin and it has antioxident properties too. Milkshakes, uh yeah right on that one.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would not willingly feed my dog Hills products (i say willingly as if he had a specific problem that a Rx food would help). They are HUGELY overpriced (trust me, we sell it, and i just put in our food order this morning), and they have crappy ingredients!!! Absolutely Not a cost effective way of feeding! Plus, the Hills line is for specific problems, not just a food to feed any general dog.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I would never feed Hills either. My local vet no longer carries it . I think it has been garbage for YEARS! I feel like if all else fails cook for your dog. And table scraps are fine too within limitations. If not for table scraps the canine would have been extinct long ago .. What do you suppose Canines ate before Purina, Alpo and Gravy train ?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts