Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little darling has had a pad in her pen which she's used a few times a day - but we never used it for its true usage because she likes to eat the grass and lay in the pee tray and it's nasty.

So, we've decided to not have the patch inside anymore. We're going to keep it for any thunder storms, or we'll have to see about the snow in winter and we could use on our covered porch instead of trudging out in the snow.

She's 14 weeks - if we take it away now (she goes outside basically every time now anyway) will she ever connect with it again say 3 months down the line if we need her to?

I'm happy to lose it honestly as sometimes I think it confuses her a bit, like should i go to the front door and ring the bell or should i go to my pen on my own and piddle?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mine never did, I had the same idea as you. But I rather use a pad while we are in a hotel instead of taking the elevator down,etc. But nope, no go. He still signaled that he wanted to pee outside.

It is confusing esp if you have the pad, she pees inside and she can also pee outside? You can designate a space now where you can also use in winter. Milo eliminates on 1 section on my deck. I keep it shoveled in winter and collect rain water in the other seasons to clean it up. He also pees on grass.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Once Lily started shredding pee pads that was the end of them in our house. Javelin was housebroken in part using a piece of sod in a tray on our deck. I bought one pack of ten pee pads before his gotcha day for emergency scenarios and I still have 8 of them.

My mom hoped to have her mpoo go on papers in her attached garage in bad winter which he did during the first winter, but has since decided against, so out they go. That experience may have more bearing on your situation.

For myself I don't think I will ever use pads or papers in the house with any possible future puppy.

Reactions: kontiki and Aimiloo

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once Lily started shredding pee pads that was the end of them in our house. Javelin was housebroken in part using a piece of sod in a tray on our deck. I bought one pack of ten pee pads before his gotcha day for emergency scenarios and I still have 8 of them.

My mom hoped to have her mpoo go on papers in her attached garage in bad winter which he did during the first winter, but has since decided against, so out they go. That experience may have more bearing on your situation.

For myself I don't think I will ever use pads or papers in the house with any possible future puppy.

Yes Catherine, I think in reading the book and thinking of our situation I thought it would work well - but honestly it's led to laziness in my husband <points at pad and tells her to go instead of her going outside> and with the shredding etc UGH. For the times Dave has meetings I'm working at home or I'm having a neighbor come let her out and play a few times a day. I just don't see it as sustainable for us and I know as they get older they go out less!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine never did, I had the same idea as you. But I rather use a pad while we are in a hotel instead of taking the elevator down,etc. But nope, no go. He still signaled that he wanted to pee outside.

It is confusing esp if you have the pad, she pees inside and she can also pee outside? You can designate a space now where you can also use in winter. Milo eliminates on 1 section on my deck. I keep it shoveled in winter and collect rain water in the other seasons to clean it up. He also pees on grass.
This is what I was thinking, I'd put it out the back on our deck so it's there for fast pottys but my husband bangs on about it attracting other wild life etc.... I'm over it - I just know I'm done confusing her in the house! I had her at my parents in only the pen to play and the crate to nap and I took her outside every 1.5 hours and we were accident free for 2 days. But then I let him help as I got to work and 'oh she peed here and oh she peed there' well WERE YOU WATCHING HER? HAD SHE PEED BEFORE YOU LET HER CRUISE AROUND THE HOUSE?

Ugh.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
If you are going to teach her to use a pee pad and to go outside as well you need to teach the primary potty spot as in outside first then the second one. I have managed to successfully teach 6 of of my 7 poodles to do both, my Pia however will only go outside if she is desperate.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
This is what I was thinking, I'd put it out the back on our deck so it's there for fast pottys but my husband bangs on about it attracting other wild life etc.... I'm over it - I just know I'm done confusing her in the house! I had her at my parents in only the pen to play and the crate to nap and I took her outside every 1.5 hours and we were accident free for 2 days. But then I let him help as I got to work and 'oh she peed here and oh she peed there' well WERE YOU WATCHING HER? HAD SHE PEED BEFORE YOU LET HER CRUISE AROUND THE HOUSE?

Ugh.

Aww but he loves her and once this stage is over it will all be for the good. I really really needed Javelin to handle being in a crate. I left him home to take Lily to a show when he was about 11 weeks old and hating the crate. BF couldn't stand listening to him scream since he needed to sleep enough to function at work so he too Javvy out and put him on the bed, where he has slept ever since. I finally have him to the point where he will relax in a wire crate (but would prefer to have gotten him to chill in a soft crate by now), but it took about two years to undo that one weekend. Potty training is much quicker than dealing with confinement areas if it goes off the rails along the way for most pups.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to teach her to use a pee pad and to go outside as well you need to teach the primary potty spot as in outside first then the second one. I have managed to successfully teach 6 of of my 7 poodles to do both, my Pia however will only go outside if she is desperate.
Yes Twyla I believe this was my error, i was teaching both at the same time - now outside is done almost always now but I think pulling it is the right thing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww but he loves her and once this stage is over it will all be for the good. I really really needed Javelin to handle being in a crate. I left him home to take Lily to a show when he was about 11 weeks old and hating the crate. BF couldn't stand listening to him scream since he needed to sleep enough to function at work so he too Javvy out and put him on the bed, where he has slept ever since. I finally have him to the point where he will relax in a wire crate (but would prefer to have gotten him to chill in a soft crate by now), but it took about two years to undo that one weekend. Potty training is much quicker than dealing with confinement areas if it goes off the rails along the way for most pups.
Ah yes I do love that story Catherine :)

And I can see why one is easier than the other - our smart poodles can pick up potty training after errors but who wants to pick up confinement after freedom?! :aetsch: (said in jest, i know confinement can also be reassuring as their den) :)

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Oh thank you so much for that way of thinking about confinement after freedom as the root of my crate problems. I never really looked at it that way and, of course that is why he has hated the crate so much. Uh duh Catherine!!! I am truly relieved though that at the workshop we attended this weekend he was relaxed in the wire crate with a cover over it for four days with outings to work and potty. He was free at night at the hotel with me, but the only way to watch lessons and help steward was to have him not being a lunatic in that crate. Now if I can just get him not to bust out of soft crates. He has broken many zippers and ripped out seams on several crates.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My Molly was potty trained to outdoors and also used bells to signal. I ended up taking away the bells when she figured out she got to go outside when she rang them.......but weirdly enough, she started signaling on her own by scratching at the box of potty bags that I kept by the door! But then again, she found out she could get my immediate attention by 'talking' (barking) to me. So now it is all worked out that when she stands at the door and barks once or twice she needs out! I have also now crossed trained her to use a pad (I get the extra big ones!) for her 'late night' potty as my health has restricted my mobility and we live in an apt that made it a hassle to get out, because of locked building doors! Yup, she uses it every night now, and what is really funny is that if she happens to poop too, she comes and gets me (she barks at me to tell me what she has done!) to pick it up! LOL! I guess she thinks ALL dog poopies belong in blue plastic bags! Hahaha! It just goes to prove YOU CAN teach an old dog new tricks or maybe they'll end up teaching you! (Molly's 6.5 years old!!!!)

Reactions: kontiki and Aimiloo

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh thank you so much for that way of thinking about confinement after freedom as the root of my crate problems. I never really looked at it that way and, of course that is why he has hated the crate so much. Uh duh Catherine!!! I am truly relieved though that at the workshop we attended this weekend he was relaxed in the wire crate with a cover over it for four days with outings to work and potty. He was free at night at the hotel with me, but the only way to watch lessons and help steward was to have him not being a lunatic in that crate. Now if I can just get him not to bust out of soft crates. He has broken many zippers and ripped out seams on several crates.
Ha Ha well you are always so helpful, happy my comment offered a different perspective :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....and today we're getting florence's remnants and i was just SOAKED taking her out in a downpour and am wondering why I chose yesterday to pull the potty patch? LOL. :alien2:

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
....and today we're getting florence's remnants and i was just SOAKED taking her out in a downpour and am wondering why I chose yesterday to pull the potty patch? LOL. :alien2:

Yes, we are on the edge of those rain bands too. You chose to take away the potty patch yesterday so you could tell us and I would see it and tell you to take Pixie out on leash and start to teach her to potty on command!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, we are on the edge of those rain bands too. You chose to take away the potty patch yesterday so you could tell us and I would see it and tell you to take Pixie out on leash and start to teach her to potty on command!
That's one of the first things I learned here, and we use it every time we take her....but for some reason she wasn't having it today ha ha. She was much more interested in the rain that was soaking us and the thunder rumbles!

I did catch her trying to poop on the floor and hustled her out but the rain threw her off and she hasn't gone since.

I put the potty patch on our covered porch thinking maybe it would work and LOL it's like she doesn't even recognize it as the thing she used to potty on. Ah well, rain coats and thunder dodging it is.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Omg you guys, all day it rains and she snubs it. Rain stops we go outside and she refuses to piddle....until we walk to the front door and she sees the patch and piddles lol!!!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Lily seriously hates peeing in wet or high grass so that may be Pixie's issue. She used to sneak to the basement before her first birthday and pee there so I would go out in the rain with her on a leash. Hence my motivation for potty on command...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lily seriously hates peeing in wet or high grass so that may be Pixie's issue. She used to sneak to the basement before her first birthday and pee there so I would go out in the rain with her on a leash. Hence my motivation for potty on command...
It probabally was part of it, though she was so fascinated by the rain and how wet we were getting I think that was a lot of it too! Even though the grass was wet once the rain stopped falling she was better phew!

Pixie will always be leashed, we don't have a fenced in yard so it's always one of us telling her potty! Of course I wasn't at my greatest today when it was downpouring and i was telling her COME ON POTTY PIXIE POTTTYYYYYY and she was looking at me like I was unhinged. We had to have some fun one the rain stopped to have her not think I was a nut haha

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Cayenne will us the potty patch or go outside. Sage will pee on patch or go outside but always outside for poop. Bella will hold up to 72 hours unless she can get outside with no snow or rain, never on that potty patch. You can train them for either. When I travel with Cayenne she always goes outside although I still put a potty patch down. If I had my way it would be potty patch all they way for all of them. Your not obligated to get home at a certain time, and they are not suffering to go

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cayenne will us the potty patch or go outside. Sage will pee on patch or go outside but always outside for poop. Bella will hold up to 72 hours unless she can get outside with no snow or rain, never on that potty patch. You can train them for either. When I travel with Cayenne she always goes outside although I still put a potty patch down. If I had my way it would be potty patch all they way for all of them. Your not obligated to get home at a certain time, and they are not suffering to go
I think it's a great idea when they don't destroy them and eat the fake grass and lay in their pee like mine did! LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts