Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Monday afternoon my husband saw cat litter on Jessie's nose. We don't know if she ate anything from the litter box or just got too close during her first investigation. Monday evening she ate and eliminated normally. On Tuesday, she was reluctant to eat, but eventually ate her daily food allotment and eliminated normally. This morning she won't eat, and she went to the bathroom but is constipated. She keeps begging to go outside, but just to eat grass and doesn't try to go to the bathroom. Her stomach is gurgling a lot, and so far she hasn't had any water today either.

I tried giving her wet food only (which she loves), and she wouldn't touch it. I boiled up some rice and made a slurry of rice water + rice + sensitive stomach Science Diet wet food and she wouldn't touch it. I have a vet appointment at 3:30 today to get her checked out, but does anyone have any suggestions I should try in the meantime? She doesn't like pumpkin or sweet potato, so there's no way I could get her to eat those if she won't eat food I could hide it in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you tried adding brown sugar to the pumpkin or sweet potato? That can sometimes help because it makes it sweet. I am sorry to hear that Jessie is not feeling well. You could try giving her fluids view a needles syringe in the mouth with fluids if you are overly concerned about dehydration.

Hope she gets better soon.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
if it was regular clay litter not the scoop away clumping kind it would be less a worry. Best to contact your vet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We think she'll be ok. Dropped a bunch of money at the vet yesterday to make sure there was no obstruction, pancreatitis, or kidney issue, and everything came back normal. We resolved the "log jam" with a long walk this morning, and she is enjoying small meals of Royal Canin low fat GI diet food until things are back to normal. Poor thing definitely had some painful gas yesterday, but she seems ok today. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
That's good news! Mine were very prone to raid the litter tray when they were young, but seem (fingers crossed!) to have outgrown it. Pippin-cat is getting so creaky I have an emergency tray down for him that he uses every few weeks, and so far the dogs have left it alone. Let's hope Jessie has also learned it is best left alone...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Glad she's feeling better. I wonder if eating poop has a biological benefit, perhaps a way that young animals to acquire useful gut flora. It certainly seems like very common behavior in puppies; much less so in mature dogs, thank heavens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts