Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I've done some "research" online, but I'd like to ask a question and get some real life answers.
I know that poodles are very athletic and intelligent dogs, so I hope my question doesn't sound ignorant. My wife and I love to go out on natural trails and we go on daily walks-usually around 5+miles, 10 miles during the winter and autumn (We live in Florida). On really hot days (basically from June-September) we stay inside and use a treadmill and we would obviously never make a dog go outside in that weather!

Would a standard poodle be happy to do those things with us? We want to keep our dog happy, and we were worried that Poodle would get bored with that lifestyle. Obviously that's not all we do, but being outside and talking walks is a big part of our lives.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I have toys, not standards, but here are some general guidelines : until the puppy is fully grown, you would have to be careful with the hiking, jogging ect. There is a schedule to follow so you don’t injure your pet. You will have to adjust the duration of your outings greatly with a puppy/young dog, until he matures.

Second, even in the heat, you would have to provide some kind of daily exercise/activity for your dog. You can’t not walk a dog for 3-4 months. Your dog has to be walked daily. Some standards are okay with a 1 hour walk, others need more. Brain training also helps to tire them but there needs to be physical activities as well. What you can do is walk the dog early in the morning or late at night, and make it shorter. But you still needs to go or you will end up with an unruly, bored dog who will exhibit behavior problems and might even destroy your house.

I’m sure you’ll get great answers from standard poodle owners. Stay tuned, they’re coming !

·
Super Moderator
2,207 Posts
I think a spoo would love the multi-mile hikes.

Standard poodles were originally hunting dogs, and they haven't lost that heart. It's like human figure skaters. They may get all dolled up with hair spray and cosmetics when they are in competition, but underneath the sequins are serious athletes. We used to take one of my friends spoos on 10 mile trail rides running along side our horses. After we got back his Golden Retriever girlfriend would hop into a water trough to cool off and then go to sleep in the shade. The spoo would get a quick drink and bring us a tennis ball for a game of fetch.

One of the great things about poodles is that they do have an off button. Some of the herding dogs need to be doing things every waking moment. Like people, poodles vary in temperament. Some need more action than others. However, once you get past adolescence, you should be able to establish a schedule to meet your dog's needs.

As an example, my current hot-weather non-weekend schedule for the dogs is approximately:
6:30 AM- out of bed, potty in the yard, play fetch or short walk
7:00 AM breakfast, putter around
8:00 AM go back to bed while I work
Noon: lunch, potty, fetch or short walk, short training session
1:00 PM Nap
4:30 potty in the yard, longer walk, play fetch, do some training exercises
6:30 dinner
7:00 possibly more training, indoor fetch (human watching TV tosses ball; dog catches it in mid air)
8:30 chill out on couch or in crate
9:00 potty in yard
9:30 bed

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
They'll take everything you can throw at them and more. My standards ran 10 miles nearly every day when they were young, off lead and on trails to avoid repetitive motion injuries. In the summer heat, we swam and they retrieved bumpers. They mature around 4 or 5 and start slowing down around 7, though it can be hard to tell until they're around 9 or 10. At 10, my girl is good up to 4-4.5 miles. She even looks like a puppy for the first half mile.

I've met folks in the SW who trained their dog to walk on a treadmill, since it's hard to be safe outdoors in 120+ temps. I can't speak to the safety measures that they put in place, nor can I attest to whether their dogs were having fun. I have heard of fatal accidents.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I live in south Florida and I still definitely get out each day for ~1 hr to give my poodle exercise. We just have to time it more carefully. I'm not a morning person so I typically do a long walk or trip to the park 6-8 PM. It's not great weather but it's doable. A lot of people do mornings. I think a standard would love the long hikes after they've reached the appropriate age. I would start slowly building them up after 1 year of age, but before that I'd go very gentle on the joints. The growth plates close between 1 and 2 years so you want to be conservative until you're sure they're done growing. I'd for sure couple that with a late spay/neuter (if desexing is desired) so you will have a sound hiking companion for many years to come. In addition, making sure you get a dog from thoroughly health tested lines will help to limit chances of orthopedic issues. Poodles are exceptionally athletic and make great exercise partners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts