Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hardly contain myself!!!

Today, a family friend told us of a white/cream spoo boy that is looking for a home. The story behind this boy is that his owner got an extremely prestigious job overseas and was unable to bring him along. He is currently living with a neighbour of our family friend, but he already has two black spoos in a tiny condo, and feels that the third is just too much.

I never, in a BILLION years, thought my mom would even MENTION this to me. She is NOT an animal lover, and while she loves Matrix, the thought of having TWO big dogs in the house was something out of a fairy tale to me. Well, I guess my mom really realizes how much dogs mean to me, and she is fully behind this decision to potentially add this spoo to our family. We have yet to talk to my dad about it since this is a VERY recent development, but he loves dogs and I'm pretty sure that he'll be open to this as well. I am beyond excited and hoping beyond hope that this will work out as I will FINALLY have a dog that has a suitable temperament for therapy work!!!!!!!

The only thing that may prevent this new addition from happening is:
Matrix!! He is unpredictable about what dogs he likes and doesn't like. Gender doesn't seem to matter, but generally opposite sex matches work out better and the potential newbie is male. He loved our late bichon, but he grew up with her. They never played together or anything because of age and size differences, so adding a young (~2 yrs) MALE spoo to the house would be a completely new experience for him that ...he may not like. I think he would LOVE a new companion, but I'm not sure if he'd appreciate a young male spoo type of companion.

Could I make this post any longer???

Anyways, I'm wondering what you guys think would be the BEST way to introduce the two dogs. Matrix usually does much better meeting dogs offleash, but that makes it harder to step in if a problem arises. I was thinking of taking a page from Cesar Milan, and start with a walk together and end off at an offleash area where they can interact and such.
If you can't tell already I REALLLY want this to work out :)P), so I'm looking for an introduction method that will almost guarantee an instant friendship! Just kidding, but that would be ideal!!

So yeah, any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks for reading this whole thing!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Wow, super exciting Locket! I hope you get the go ahead and can bring this new member of the fam home. :)

I was just thinking about introducing a new dog (a pup in my case) to an exisiting dog the other day. I did some googling and came up with a few links about the best way to introduce them.

http://ottawadogblog.ca/2008/02/introducing-a-new-dog-to-your-existing-dog/

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_dog.html

Neither of these sources mentions it, but one thing I liked the idea of is first introducing the dogs through a baby gate or fence. It seems like a nice way to control the situation, as there's no way they can have an altercation but they can get used to the scent of each other easily.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Awesome Locket !

Well off leash is better because dogs do get defensive on leashes this is why dog parks do not allow leashes.

I have seen Cesar do all kinds of methods to introduce dogs to each other. I think walking them might work but you have to make sure you have control over both dogs other wise it will end up in smoke.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am (impatiently) waiting to hear from the neighbour about a time when we can meet (without Matrix). My dad and I want to go see the spoo alone first and try to get a sense of his personality and see if he'll be a good match for our family. Then we'll arrange a time and place for the dogs to meet, and we'll do a trial period of a few weeks.

Thanks for the sources Cdnjennga. The neighbour is the condo board director or something like that, so he has access to an enclosed area of the condo where he takes his dogs to run on occassion. While this isn't entirely neutral territory, it isn't Matrix's territory, so I don't think it should be a problem.

I HATE waiting!

Oh and another thing I could use some help with...the spoo's name is Michael, but that is my dad's name and the family friend we found out about the spoo from already has a dog named Mikey. So, we're trying to think of names that sound like Michael. At the moment we have Maxwell (little far fetched :p), or McCauley (McCaul is just like Michael with a different emphasis). So if you can think of any names that sound like Michael, that'd be great!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I like all the names suggested! One thing I just wanted to mention is that my book on adopting an adult rescue dog says it's fine to completely change a dog's name if you want. You just train it like anything else, and they will learn. So if you have a name you like that sounds nothing like Michael that should be fine. :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the name suggestions Fuzbutz!
I figured I could rename him, and depending on how responsive he is to his name, we may just change it completely. I just don't want to overwhelm him with a new house, new rules, new routine, new people, new dog and then a new name.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When we got our male spoo he was 10 mo old and his name was Rodney, I could never remember that name and really liked the name Rocky, that sounded a lot the same, and like you didn't want to confuse him, so Rocky is his call name today. He never had any problem with the change.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Martin/Marty
Maddy
Matty

It's hard for me to imagine a dog with the name Michael. LOL. I suppose it's no more "human" than Bella, but I just know grown men with that name so it's odd and formal to me.

I would imagine changing it from Michael to McCaul isn't really going to benefit anyone, is it? Are you just wanting him to have a new name so it's not confusing to the dog when people speak to your father?

Maybe changing your dad's name would be easier. ;) (KIDDING!)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it wouldn't be McCaul, it would be McCauley, and for short Mac. Since my current dog's name is Matrix, and we call him Matey for short, we're staying away from names that sound similar, so while I like the idea of Matty or Maddy, it'd only add to the confusion.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think what ever name you decide will be fine. Poodles are very smart and th will learn a new name quickly. Remember, most shelter animals dont come in with a known name. They just get renamed and move on at any age. So I think whatever you decide will work.

I cant wait to here how the first meeting went and what you thought.

P.S. I had a male cafe au lait I called Mikey for awhile. His previous name was Monkey! lol Now his name is Taupe-o something. Her kids re-named him and he goes by that now. lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little update:
My mom spent over an hour with Michael tonight! Soo jealous!! She said he is a really lovely dog. Total sweetheart.
My dad and I will be going to meet him on saturday afternoon!!! I can't wait! I can't wait!! I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A name has been decided upon!!
*drumroll please*

Mitchell!!!

Only TWO days until we get to meet our potential new family member!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So we met Michael today!! It was great! He's an extreme athlete, which means he's a high energy dog, but he's very calm indoors. He's a BIG muscley boy, with such a sweet personality and he is one smart cookie. The best part of it is that Matrix seems not to mind him at all! Matrix isn't accustomed to playing with other dogs, hes more of a people dog than a dog dog, so he'll have to get used to Michael wanting to play with him, but he's very tolerant and Michael backs off when Matrix gives him a little warning woof. So it looks as though Michael will be coming to join us for a trial period in a week!

Since he is such an athletic dog, I'm really considering getting started in agility with this boy. He'd be an amazing disc dog, but we'll just stick to tossing it around before getting into any sports.

Can't wait!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts