Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Lily May. Had her spayed on Friday 31st. She quickly lost her appetite and it didn't come back on the 2nd day like it was supposed to.

Took her to the vet Sunday and they said she was experiencing side effects from the meds (Tramadol and Medi-something). They switched her to gabapentin. She started eating and drinking more... But still very picky eating, and only ~half of her normal diet.

Started having loose stools by Monday. The last 3 nights about 3am she's had to go outside, with diarrhea. I stayed home Monday to monitor her & take her out. Worked from home half day Tues & yesterday.

Her appetite still isn't back. She won't even eat home cooked chicken & rice. I've discovered she'll eat scrambled eggs though! So that's what she's been getting for two days.

I had bought her a Surgi Snuggly and it's a good thing b/c she's so agile, she could reach her wound when wearing a cone. But I realized I'd better get a second onesie pronto in case of an accident. I found a baby onesie on clearance and cut a hole for her tale. With this she still needs a cone (loose leg holes) but it works, and it's freakin' cute!

So this morning as I was getting ready for work, my fear came true: she pooped (diarrhea) in her Surgi Snuggly. O.M.G. Just... O.M.G. I was all dressed for work and already running late and the only option was to put her bottom in the sink and spray/wash it out, taking care to keep the wound -- and my work clothes -- clean!

I left a message w/ the vet asking if I can take her off the Gabapentin. Looks like diarrhea is one of the side effects. Haven't heard back from the vet. But I think I'll take her off of it anyway as it's been 6 days since the surgery.

I ended up working from home for a while to watch her but had to leave around noon. I hope and pray she'll be fine (and clean) when I get home.

I feel so sad for her - feeling so puny.

Suggestions would be welcomed!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Be careful, this is the time when our pity turns them into picky eaters! 6 days post surgery you should be fine stopping the pain meds ( my girl was good in 3 days!) Yeah the diarrhea from them is not fun! You might try adding some plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling!)to her food ...sweet potatoes or or yams work too. Should firm up her poos!
Putting her back on her kibble perhaps with a 'topper' mixed in might get her eating again, but as long as she is eating a little, and drinking water, don't worry, she won't starve herself if she is otherwise healthy!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Aww, poor Lily has had a rough go :( I think it's good you got her off the Gabapentin since she is having possible side effects. Hills canned I/D is good when they're feeling sick. It looks and smells awful, but it has helped all of our dogs feel better during bouts of gastritis and the like. Hugs to you both!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the well wishes! Thank you for the hugs, Aimiloo!

MollyMuiMa, thank you for the advice. I was worried about this. She's a picky eater. I've always mixed a little canned food with her kibble, and for the past few weeks she's gradually been eating out only the canned food. Stinker! I think she has been training me already - and has been able to take advantage of my pity. (I talked with the vet on Tuesday and she was puzzled about the food thing.)

Zooeysmom, I forgot about I/D. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
Well I don't think I know why the vet gave her gabapentin (neurontin). It is an anti-anxiety drug also used for some other neurological issues. It is not a pain med. So yes, I would definitely drop it. The tramadol was probably only needed for one day and the other drug was probably metacam which is an NSAID and very safe. We keep metacam in the house for our dogs alongside Advil and Tylenol for us. Certainly by now she should need no pain meds. I second Molly's comment about being careful not to accidentally turn her into a picky eater just now. If she skips a meal of her regular food or even two, so be it. Stick to your guns on that. Also eggs are not always easy for digesting.

I hope she is feeling back to her old self asap.

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Well I don't think I know why the vet gave her gabapentin (neurontin). It is an anti-anxiety drug also used for some other neurological issues. It is not a pain med. So yes, I would definitely drop it. The tramadol was probably only needed for one day and the other drug was probably metacam which is an NSAID and very safe.
Gabapentin is being used to increase the efficacy of pain meds. Our Chi mix pinched a nerve in her neck and only started getting better after we added gabapentin to her pain meds (I can't remember if it was Rimadyl or Metacam).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet said gabapentin had an anti inflammatory effect. She hasn't had it since yesterday morning and seems to be bouncing back. She'd had more diarrhea when I got home last evening but hasn't had more since. Knock on wood.

This morning I gave her only kibble. And guess what? She actually ate almost all of it!

She's also cone- and onesie-free and it's wonderful to see her so happy!

She's in dire need of grooming. Do you think 8 days is too soon? (tomorrow) She'll probably struggle as usual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts