Poodle Forum banner

Does your poodle scratch mark after pooping?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this is a Poodle thing, or an Elroy thing.
Does your Poodle scratch the ground after pooping (or otherwise)? Elroy never does. This was an unexpected behavioral plus for us馃榿.

Premium Member
Mine doesn鈥檛 scratch the ground either. He just poops in the weirdest places. His favourite is backing up under a pine tree and pooping on a low branch followed by me trying to bag it. He also sometimes backs up on a chain link fence so it ends up on both sides of the fence Ugh.... I guess it wouldn鈥檛 be so bad if I had a yard as he never goes in the middle of the grass he鈥檚 always trying to get it as close to, or on, a tree trunk or under a bush LOL

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
I've not noticed Simon scratch marking after peeing or pooping, but my APBT Lily does.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

Registered
My JRT did every single time, joyously! Phoebe does not scratch, but always thoroughly smells her deposit, then turns away with disgust, every time. 馃ぃ

Registered
Neither of my minipoos do, so I voted No. However Babykins often does after she pees. It's annoying because Theo likes to sniff her pee and pee mark over it - and I have to keep him out of the path of grass and debris she kicks up.

Registered
Wally never did until after spending a lot of time around another dog that did. Now at 6 yrs, he has just started doing it. It's not an every-single-time thing but more of an on-a-walk and another dog has been here thing. It's really comical he doesn't just scratch but kind of hops up in the air as he does it. Maybe one of these days I'll be quick enough to catch it on video.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it's an Elroy thing then. He's never once done it. In my head, I was convincing myself it was a Poodle thing. Not! I hope he doesn't ever pick up the habit though馃.

Registered
Both Toula and Toffee do this frequently!!! I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 a natural instinct to cover a scent鈥攂ut the hilarious thing is they will sometimes go through the whole exaggerated ritual about 10 feet away from where they went to the potty!!! I think it鈥檚 kind of funny 馃槅

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both Toula and Toffee do this frequently!!! I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 a natural instinct to cover a scent鈥攂ut the hilarious thing is they will sometimes go through the whole exaggerated ritual about 10 feet away from where they went to the potty!!! I think it鈥檚 kind of funny 馃槅
I read somewhere that it's a "visual" form of marking. Not really trying to cover anything.

Registered
My mpoo never did. Well, actually he suddenly did a couple of times when he was around 7-8 years old. Then never did it again!

Kukla frequently does, but I try to discourage it by asking for a sit.

Dog's have scent glands in their paws. Here's an article that explains the scratching behavior:

Super Moderator
Wow I had no idea about the pheromones鈥 that article was interesting. Bennie does it on occasion but it鈥檚 usually just in our yard. I try to encourage elimination before we go for our walk... of course I carry poop bags because sometimes they鈥檙e still needed. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l discourage it. It鈥檚 not frequent or incessant.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here we are. I spoke too soon. Elroy is 23 month old now and he has just started scratching after pee marking. Earlier this week he gave a single scratch after peeing. It's now becoming more frequent every day. Still not scratching most times, but I'd say probably 3-4 times today. One scratch with each hind foot now. Not enough effort to make a significant divit. I'm hoping it doesn't progress to much more as I really don't want him damaging lawns.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts