Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckie has been spayed this morning. She also had her tear ducts unblocked (probably not the right term) and 1 baby tooth removed. She has been awake for 1 hour and is doing fine. She will be coming home around 7 pm tonight.

In the past I have needed to put a cone on my dogs. Even Merlin, but he was done by a different vet. This vet says their dogs very rarely need the cone, because they use glue and internal melting sutures. Since there are no external sutures, the dogs don’t lick the wound.

I have Merlin’s cone, but the tech thought it would be too small (it’s for kittens). Beckie is a little sturdier than Merlin, so it might be a little tight. They are supposed to try it on for her because I asked them.

I’m afraid to come home without a cone, only to find out later that she is licking herself. I don’t want to end up watching her all night...

Should I buy a cone just in case ? (Pet stores arrond here don’t carry them)

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I am very happy to hear that Beckie did so well with all those bits.

Oh I understand your concern. I will say that Lily did just fine without a cone after her spay (she also had glue, not sutures), but I needed a cone when Javelin had sutures in his arm pit area. He hated the plastic cone the vet provided and the next day I went out and bought an inflatable donut cone which he did much better with. I don't think this is exactly the one I got, but I will say I am now happy enough to have it on hand for emergencies. https://www.chewy.com/kong-cloud-collar-dogs-cats-x-small/dp/47471?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=KONG&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLG-kYLe3AIVUUwNCh0vkA5fEAQYASABEgJAzPD_BwE

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very happy to hear that Beckie did so well with all those bits.

Oh I understand your concern. I will say that Lily did just fine without a cone after her spay (she also had glue, not sutures), but I needed a cone when Javelin had sutures in his arm pit area. He hated the plastic cone the vet provided and the next day I went out and bought an inflatable donut cone which he did much better with. I don't think this is exactly the one I got, but I will say I am now happy enough to have it on hand for emergencies. https://www.chewy.com/kong-cloud-collar-dogs-cats-x-small/dp/47471?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=KONG&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLG-kYLe3AIVUUwNCh0vkA5fEAQYASABEgJAzPD_BwE
I’ve heard a lot about the Kong Cloud. The thing is I would have to buy it online and wouldn’t get it before 3-4 days, so not a short-term solution.

The only thing I can have handy is a bigger traditional plastic cone from the vet. I’m amazed no pet stores carry cones for cats and dogs around here. They’re so essential !

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I have tried every cone they make and the standard lampshade cone is the safest. I would get it just in case you need it--better safe than sorry! I needed it for a solid two weeks for Maizie's spay and for a few days for Frosty's neuter.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried every cone they make and the standard lampshade cone is the safest. I would get it just in case you need it--better safe than sorry! I needed it for a solid two weeks for Maizie's spay and for a few days for Frosty's neuter.
Good to know, I’ll definitely get one. Beckie is so tongue happy, it’s hard to believe she won’t lick herself...

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
It is really odd that your pet stores don't have the Kong cloud or something similar to pick up. I was able to pick up the one I got in a local store. I do agree with ZM that it is better to be safe than sorry on this.

Reactions: Dechi and zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I put Molly in a cone but after the first day she didn't need it (she had the internal stitches/glue too!) but I didn't want to take chances, so I put her in a baby's onesie with a hole cut out for her tail...it worked, and she was much happier! LOL!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Lily yeah, I know, it’s really weird ! Our pet stores are not the greatest.

@Molly I might buy one of those tomorrow at the dollar store.

Poor Beckie looks like she is suffering. She whimpers a bit. I called the vet clinic twice, they must think I’m nuts ! It’s been 11 years since I had a female spayed and I forgot how brutal it is.

The cone they sold me is too big, she took it off, and the one I have is too small. She is still knocked out so I am praying that she doesn’t lick the wound tonight. I brought her cage back from the basements and made her a nice soft bed and put her in it with the door closed. Merlin is in a separate cage, so he doesn’t step on her or lick her.

We’re going to the vet for a post-op check at 0800 so I hope they can give me a good size cone. She looked miserable in it, I don’t know if I will have the heart to put it on...

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Many years ago I had a cat who had a partial amputation of her tail after a traumatic crush injury (she and her sister were playing on opposite sides of a door and her tail got caught in it). She was a Maine Coon cat and she still had roughly 2/3 of her tail. Wow did we have a hard time making a cone fit that she couldn't reach around to get to her healing wound to rip out the sutures. I made three trips to the vet. In the end we used a small/medium dog cone and used tape to resize the neck so that it didn't just all off. She hated it but it was necessary or she would have needed another surgery and lost more of her tail. It seemed to help her a lot to take the cone off in the evening when she was relatively calm and quiet. I would sit with her and let her groom herself with the cone ready to go back on as soon as she started to look at her tail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts