Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on post neutering care? Jaanu's surgery is next week so we are trying to prepare. He is a very active mpoo puppy, so getting him to limit activity is gonna be a challenge, but definitely want to get it right so everything heals nicely. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Any advice on post neutering care? Jaanu's surgery is next week so we are trying to prepare. He is a very active mpoo puppy, so getting him to limit activity is gonna be a challenge, but definitely want to get it right so everything heals nicely. Thanks!
Misha is recovering from vasectomy which i assume is similar. Vet gave us some trazodone sedative to give if he was getting too energetic. I also was advised to put aquaphor on the incision to speed healing. Misha was impossible to keep from jumping on furniture but I think he is healing ok.
20201216_155030.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
My boy was neutered a few weeks ago. It was a bit of a nightmare. Not the surgery but afterwards. Wearing the cone wasn’t going to happen so I wrapped him In a t shirt. He is so active and used to getting to run a play outside at the park most days. By day 2 he was ready to roll again. It was so frustrating and difficult to keep him quiet. I had been told to keep him quiet for 2 weeks. The first week we did short leash walks. But by week two I couldn’t take it anymore and let him run. I did go to the vet to have his neuter site checked after a week as well. I indicated to the vet tech I wouldn’t be able to hold out much longer since he seemed more than ok.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would advise taking photos of the incision site regularly so you can compare them and make sure inflammation is going down. Good for peace of mind when you worry about them. I also have shared some with vet when I am concerned. Yes, you feel weird taking photos of your dog's genitals but whatever.

I have had surprisingly little trouble keeping Misha chilled out. But he's nearing two years old so I think the age helps. He was extremely out of it and upset the first day, often wanting to just stand and cry. It took a few days for him to be back to his normal self. And around 5 days for him to want to play again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I‘m not going to lie. Bobby was the hardest dog for us when it came to the post neuter. He was 13 months old. For my other dogs it was fairly easy, typical. Bobby’s problem was the licking. Oh,my! He was an absolute Houdini when it came to that. It wasn’t until the 3rd cone that we were able to get it somewhat under control and even then he eventually figured it out but at least by that time it was much reduced. The vet was amazed! My advice would be to make sure the cone is big enough before you leave the vet’s office as poodles have long snoots and necks. The first cone the vet gave us was too small so I was up all night with Bobby that first night so I could keep him from his constant licking. We tried the t shirt thing too but that didn’t work for him. We tried deterrents such as Bitter apple...nope. I was desperate and they prescribed the Trazadone for him but it didn’t work as he lost control of his bladder so we ended up just keeping him tired with Benadryl at the maximum dose. That was pretty helpful actually. The Aquaphor was also helpful during the healing process and it kept things soft and helped with the itching that comes with healing. We were able to navigate the energy thing fairly well at least as he stayed pretty subdued with the cone for almost the whole time it was needed. We did lots of short walks daily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for the advice and the support. It is all extremely helpful and I'll be using it as I help Jaanu recover over the next two weeks .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts