Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little love bug. My sis just picked him up from the groomer. The groomer handed her a bunch of treats and said "because he was such a good boy, such a good boy!"

I don't think he looks quite as chunky but it's hard to tell from these pics. I'm so excited cause my mom went and got TOTW today which I've wanted to switch him to for awhile.

Quick question, you guys might notice that we don't shave his feet. We used to get his feet his done but it drove him crazy! He'd lick and nibble at them for days after they were shaved. Does this happen to y'all? What do you do for that? I like the way his chubby feet look but I also love the tight feet of a groomed poodle.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Awww! He looks so HAPPY with his new 'do! :) Neither Lucybug nor Meau bother with their feet after shaving (and I do Lucy's pretty often!)

I wonder if Buddy's skin is really sensitive and he was getting razor burn? When you did have them shaved, do you know what blade was being used?

When I first started doing Lucy's feet, I started using a 10 blade, but now I use a 30 (which is much shorter and cleaner looking than the 10, but maybe the 10 would give Buddy a cleaner look and not irritate his skin too much...?) Just a thought!

He's adorable either way! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what blade they were using and it's been years since the last time his feet were done. Next time he gets groomed we can definitely try the 10. I know my family likes the way his feet look now so they might not go for it. I'm really happy with this groom. It's the first time he's looked good in a long time! We just switched groomers in the last few months cause he the place we were going just butchered him. They shaved his topknot completely off, it's been a long few months to get it grown out again.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I know my family likes the way his feet look now so they might not go for it.
Just tell them that when the feet are shaved, dogs drag in a lot less "stuff" from outside between their toes - at my house it's leaves, grass, mud, etc and when the feet are clean the floors stay a lot cleaner! And remind them that if they truly don't like it, "hair grows back!" :lol:

And congrats on making the switch to a good food! That should help a lot with his coat and weight! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure my Dad will seriously consider it when I bring that up. He's obsessed with vacuuming. It's pretty funny actually.

I am so excited about switching his food! I hope it goes well. I told my Mom to transition slowly over the next 2 weeks. Buddy's tummy can be pretty sensitive (another reason I want to switch foods). I'm hoping this will help with tummy issues, some itchy skin issues, and of course keep him alive longer! He's almost 10 and in great shape but we want him around as long as possible!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
He looks great. And if they like the feet like that and have no issues with the grass, mudd and poo collecting in the hairy pads then so be it! I think it looks cute on him.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Olie!

For comparison, here's a pic from the topknot shave back in September. My sister said after they got back from the groomer he ran off in the house and she couldn't find him. She finally found him in her closet (somewhere he never goes). She said he was hiding cause he was embarrassed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've never had a dog react badly to feet being shaved but i have heard some people put baby powder on face/feet right after a really close shave to help with any possibly irritation. I have no first hand experience if this works or not..perhaps someone else has.

If it's not skin/allergy related perhaps he's just not used to it. If he's hardly ever had it done it might just feel weird? If you do shave his feet you might have to just watch him for several days and correct him when he starts mouthing or chewing at his feet.

However, if you like the teddy bear feet then I say keep it like that. It suits him well and he looks darn cute.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Aidan! It's nice to know there are things to try if we decide to try and clip his feet again. They are pretty cute right now, you're right!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He is really adorable. Love those feet the way they are. Have you ever considered a bichon head on him? The only reason I mention it is cause he has bichon feet. It might be cute and I bet he can pull it off nicely!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think he looks adorable in his new clip and his feet look so cute like that, all the same length coat. Looks like he has not real feet at the end of his legs in the pic of him sitting, LOL. Like he has slippers on. :) If the clipping bothers his feet and everyone likes him like that, then no need to put him through it. But, if you decide to try, I'd definitely go with the 10 blade, maybe they used a closer clipping one on him before???? Either way, he's adorable! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Partial2poodles- I'm having a hard time picturing him in a bichon clip. Would he have a beard or mustache or whatever it's called (I'm not a groomer, I don't know proper terminology)? I can't imagine it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts