Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten mixed opinions on this and would like some advice. On one side I've heard if you aren't 100% commited to showing and finishing a dog, then you shouldn't even bring up the possibility w/ a breeder. On the other side, I've heard if you have any interest what so ever, mention it. I'm not 100% commited to showing, this will be my first poodle and I've never shown a dog before. It's really something I'd like to try and honestly I'm fine w/ this puppy being a pet and getting a show dog later on, if that's what I'm still interested in doing. So should I let the breeder know I may be interested in entering show just to try it out, or should I not even bring it up. I did mention to her that it's something I'm interested in at some point. Her handler recently retired and her hubby is handling one of their poodles for the first time ever. She told me it's definatley been a learning experience.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sure. Couldn't hurt to let her know. A breeder can always change a limited registration to a full one at a later date if you decide to show. So if you aren't sure, then maybe in the contract there could be an agreement to change the registration from limited to full if you decide to show and the puppy is deemed show potential OR a co-ownership maybe ?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The way I see it is if it's something you are interested in you need to be honest up front. If you want them to be honest with you, you should return the favor but tell who you are talking to just exactly how up in the air you feel about it. That way they don't place their best show puppy with you (in case they aren't keeping one for themselves) and expect you to finish it for them.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I would definitely mention it. Although my pup will be a pet, we are considering trying to put a championship on him. The breeders we have all spoken to are happy to let us try, as it's just another title on one of their breedings. The reality is we would be trying to get the championship while he's still a puppy, as I don't relish keeping up some of the show coats that are required after that.

The reality is sometimes breeders have more "show quality" pups than they have show homes. So why wouldn't a breeder be happy to place their pup with someone who might at least try to put a title on him or her? So yes, mention it!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think the breeder absolutely has to know because then they can make better decisions about which puppy to give you.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll definately discuss it with her. I'm leaning towards a female puppy, but from what I gather males are much easier to show. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, if you have any hope of showing the dog you have to mention it. Otherwise they will place the dog on limited registration making it ineligible for conformation. This is kind of a gray area. If the puppy is very high quality, they may want a show contract. If it is mediocre quality, your chances of success are slim but it would be OK for getting experience. The breeder is in an odd place in this scenario, because they may know you may not show but the dog will not be on limited registration, which means you could breed the dog. That may create unease in the situation. Most breeders will want a show contract or a spay/neuter contract.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See that's why I'm thinking I should go ahead a get a female on a pet contract and then get a male later on if I'm really serious about showing. In the mean time I can practice grooming and possibly do some obedience w/ my female. I think it will also give the breeder more confidence in placing a show puppy w/ me later on. I need to see what the breeder thinks about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts